Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great business opportunity for someone in Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

$25 each. Are they fúcking mental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Proliferation sorts price, idea/concept/usefulness creates demand!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

$25 each. Are they fúcking mental?

Apparently 49,586 people have been $2,681,297 worth of mental so far.

This could be the closest we've ever got to 'the internet of things', massive potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

It's a great idea & I was considering buying a couple of them as both myself & the missus have lost our keys a couple of times in the last six months (toddlers), however:

You have to change them every year.
    There's cheaper alternatives out there doing the same thing.

I've no doubt they work, but they won't work really successfully here as the uptake on them will be too small. Some American or even UK city, sure, but not here.

I like the fact that they're useful from day 1, locatable in the immediate vicinity using an iPhone. The same can't be said for RFID tags which have a fairly limited range.

If they do catch on, the usefulness will only increase.

Oh and note to thetileapp.com team, create an API for developers. Quickly.

• Advertisement

Here's an alternative I found - http://www.button-trackr.com

You can get 10 of them for $95 (plus shipping).

Another - https://www.sticknfind.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Still prefer the whistle key ring, no app required just a whistle.

And there about 2400% cheaper.

OU812 wrote: »
    Here's an alternative I found - http://www.button-trackr.com

You can get 10 of them for $95 (plus shipping).

Another - https://www.sticknfind.com

Stick n find looks to be about the same price as the tiles, button trackr still looks like a prototype but is definitely priced to shift.

Will be really interesting to see if any of them gain traction. I think the key will be opening them up for use by 3rd party Apps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Still prefer the whistle key ring, no app required just a whistle.

And there about 2400% cheaper.

The other ones have many more uses though, that's just useful for finding lost keys. Couldn't see you walking around town whistling hoping to come across your stolen bike. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Someone should stick them inside golf balls......

• Advertisement

The key to this will be the execution/marketing and delivery. There are lots of Taxi apps out there but Hailo got it right, they have raised over $50 million so far but they have left the others in the shade, something similar is happening with Swingbite a golf swing widget+app, probably not the best product but definitely the best funded and marketed. It does what it says on the tin.

There is plenty of scope to lower the price, add proximity battery charging etc going forward. These guys struck me as really professional, the product looks like it is properly functional with interesting features.. if they get the funding and marketing right, to me it is a winner. ( I am an early 1950s model and even I get it!)

It's a great product, no doubt about that (I also prefer the form factor compared to the others), but as I said earlier, what will stop this being successful here is that hardly anyone will take it up, rendering the "Everyapp Cloud" function (and one of its major benefits) redundant.

Ireland does not have the same take up in terms of technology (or broadband/midband infrastructure) compared to other countries. I doubt there would be three thousand of these in the country in two years time.

You'd want to have the rights to the UK market also to make it worthwhile & even at that, it appears they're selling direct to Europe anyway.

No doubt one of us will be right! I hope to get a couple in my Christmas stocking...

I shall also be dropping hints (assuming I don't cave at some point)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I love it - I wonder if I could stick one to my kids !

Harware with apps are going to be huge, to exploit the power of smart devices... another IRISH one I like a lot is Adaptics, you will hear lots more about this tech startup!

Advertisement