Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Accessories Maintenance

Options
  • 25-07-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

I noticed a bit of rust on my harris bipod just a spec or 2 then i started giving it a rub down with a oily cloth every week or so.Is it neccesary?

Also cleaning the glass on the scope i sometimes get a bit of dirty or moisture on it and rub it down with an old cloth with no oil of coarse.

Any other tips on accessory maintenance on scopes bipods lamps etc? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

1shot16 wrote: »
    I noticed a bit of rust on my harris bipod just a spec or 2 then i started giving it a rub down with a oily cloth every week or so.Is it neccesary?

Also cleaning the glass on the scope i sometimes get a bit of dirty or moisture on it and rub it down with an old cloth with no oil of coarse.

Just wipe it off whenever you use it, if youre getting rust even after oiling you might have a moisture problem.

Try to avoid touching the scope lens, you could be rubbing grit into it. Get a lens pen to clean it and get some scope covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Blay wrote: »
    Just wipe it off whenever you use it, if youre getting rust even after oiling you might have a moisture problem.

Try to avoid touching the scope lens, you could be rubbing grit into it. Get a lens pen to clean it and get some scope covers.

Rust is gone its just dat i never oiled it.

Do you recommend the detachable covers or the caps that are on the scope itself the ones you can flip up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

1shot16 wrote: »

1shot16,
    Watch cleaning the surface of the scope's objective lens. The objective is coated with a non-reflective film that has to be very thin, on the order of wavelengths of light.

If the lenses get dirty, spray some water on them to loosen and flush the dirt. Don't be afraid to allow the water to soak into stuck on dirt over time, and then flush.

I use Oakley microfiber bags to clean the lens once I am confident there are no contaminants on the surface that is going to scratch the lens coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

FISMA wrote: »
    1shot16,
    Watch cleaning the surface of the scope's objective lens. The objective is coated with a non-reflective film that has to be very thin, on the order of wavelengths of light.

If the lenses get dirty, spray some water on them to loosen and flush the dirt. Don't be afraid to allow the water to soak into stuck on dirt over time, and then flush.

Thanks for the advice will order one of them soon! :)

Its only a gamo scope nothin expensive will try take care of it all the same as an expensive one though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When cleaning a scope never be looking down on the lens. Hold the rifle/scope over your head with the lens you intend to clean pointing down to the ground. Use a very soft, fine lens pen brush to clear the dirt and anything moved, loosened will fall down to the ground and not be pushed around the lens.

Then use the reverse of the lens pens to clean and wipe the lens. When one is done give the cleaner side of the lens pen a wipe to remove any dirt and give the brush end a rough brushing itself to remove any grit.

Repeat the process on the ocular lens, and you're done. Avoid any cleaning chemicals, and most certainly do not use windowlene, or any other household product.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement