Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reusing beds

• 25-07-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I planted a bed of lettuce seeds and have now transplanted them.
    What ,ideally should I do with this old bed?

Will it have deteriorated over the course of the 3 weeks or so that it took the lettuce to grow to that size ?
    If I sowed more lettuce seeds on the same ground would they be less successful?

Could I just throw in an extra few fertilizer pellets to compensate or should I look to be using that ground for something that wasn't so particular regarding the quality of soil (carrots perhaps) -and starting from scratch if I want to make a bed for ,say lettuce seeds ?

By the way the way I make my beds initially is to
    1: start with an old bed (obviously)
    2: cart in a few barrowloads of well rotted stable manure
    3: cart in a similar amount of (let's call it) rotted lawn turf (it is actually an amalgam of soil "scrapings" and weeds that have sat for up to a year to form a sort of compost)
    4: work all these together as if you were making scones (or short crust pastry) until they blend (I use a cultivator or the back of a fork for this)
    5: level off
    6: notice there is no real deep digging involved so I am not sure it ideal for everything...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭The Gardener

Judging by what you have added to the soil there should be no problem growing more vegetables in that bed. Seeds carry a store of nutrients to give the seedlings a good start in life so your lettuce seedlings would have extracted little or no nutrients from the soil. It might be a bit rich for carrots or other root vegetables considering you added rotted stable manure to the soil, but there should be no problem growing other vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks.

So might I expect to get ,say a series of radishes from the same bed over the course of the Summer ?(I know there would be no need to use the same bed for that crop as I could throw them in any odd corner of any available bed but suppose I did want to use the same bed just for radishes).

I would imagine it would be possible to grow up to half a dozen or more such crops (of radishes) over the summer.

Would they start to be less successful after a while ?(it is not so easy to get nice succulent mild radishes)

I have never actually tried that as I always look for the best soil possible for salad plants and I tend to make new beds here and there over the course of the season which I can hopefully use.

Advertisement