Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Greystones ??

Options
  • 25-07-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

An Aldi employee in the Bray shop says Greystones would be opening this Christmas, Dec 2013:). I notice in the last day or two the building site is locked up and no sign of any activity there. Are they on holiday or does anyone have any up to date information on what is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

"Builders holidays"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Perfectly correct MyPerfectCousin, an annual event that occurs last week in July first 2 weeks in August :)

Misty May wrote: »
    An Aldi employee in the Bray shop says Greystones would be opening this Christmas, Dec 2013:). ?

It still looks like it has a long way to go before it's finished.

Also, does it not seem too big for the site that it's on? It looks like it is squeezed in.

In related news, Greystones has the highest occupancy rate in the country when it comes to commercial property units: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/greystones-has-lowest-vacancy-rate-1.1553848

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Which premises are currently vacant - Bel's, the pub/restaurant in Charlesland, the former Script building - anywhere else?

loyatemu wrote: »
    Which premises are currently vacant - Bel's, the pub/restaurant in Charlesland, the former Script building - anywhere else?

THe main street is pretty full. Not sure about the Merdian. But the local economy must be in good shape relative to the rest of the country if we're scoring number one in this very real economic measure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I Hear that they have to Reduce the Shop Frontage as its to close to the Road Hear Say but it does seem very close alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Surely that would have come up as a planning condition, or planning request for further information during the planning process. Unfounded hearsay unless someone messed up on the plans that were originally submitted??

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Aldi seem to be well on track for a grand opening before the Christmas rush. Aldi & Lidl have very minimalist shop fittings so they are almost there now.
    I wonder who has taken the lease on the shops that are part of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

A coffee shop is opening beside aldi as well

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

abacus120 wrote: »
    A coffee shop is opening beside aldi as well
    One of those is definately needed in Greystones,:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Misty May

Rumour has it the grand opening has been postponed until February as there was a problem with the roof and it had to be taken off and redone!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Darn no shopping in Aldi on Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

They seem to have made a lot of progress in recent weeks, hope its open soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They seem to have made a lot of progress in recent weeks, hope its open soon.

Yes They Seem to be Painting & Flooring it at the Moment only a matter of Weeks before they Open wouldnt be surprised if its open Early December

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

I had heard that Aldi were not allowed to open until the road changes were completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

sysconp1 wrote: »
    I had heard that Aldi were not allowed to open until the road changes were completed.

What road changes?

DD9090 wrote: »
    What road changes?

You have to drive on the right side of the road - it's the German way. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

According to their web site it is opening 16 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

Aldi Greystones open 17 jan , very tardy as there's freezers in it already 20 dec would be plenty of time, no rush for the crimbo traffic

Please email you local counselor & TDs to make sure they fix the hole in the road the left after putting in water pipes , and to make sure the bike lanes are reinstated before opening and not to leave them go 1 year unfinished !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Unblinkered

<<<snip>>>

Mod: Please refrain from posting hearsay as it can sometimes be damaging to others. If what you are saying is true, then post evidence like a link to the information.

• Advertisement

Pat Quinn & Ben Dunne revolutionised the grocery trade in Ireland in a far bigger way than Lidl & Aldi. As did Fearghal Quinn. Tesco are foreigners too :D
    I like Aldi and Lidl though for some of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Opening on Thursday morning

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Opening on Thursday morning

Meet ya there? ^-^

I'll probably be there getting snacks and maybe beer if it is on a deal.

I would have thought pixbyjohn got exclusive inside access to take some photos for us!?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

red_bairn wrote: »
    Meet ya there? ^-^

I'll probably be there getting snacks and maybe beer if it is on a deal.
    I got a thing in the door with the offers. There's bits and pieces but nothing much.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I got a thing in the door with the offers. There's bits and pieces but nothing much.

I'd say traffic will be carnage in the area for the opening

@RosieJoe, There's a cycle track leading right to it - you could jog all the way instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

passed it by on sunday and it looked well stocked up

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

What are the differences between it and lidl! Is there more to it that having different offers.

Different ranges ? Cheaper ? Store size looks similar to lidl.

Given its closer to me in C'land that's a benefit.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    I would have thought pixbyjohn got exclusive inside access to take some photos for us!?

Taken 6th. Jan 2014

11967478424_899ca12a61_c.jpg
    DSC_4535 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Not quite inside Astro, but near enough

11967913246_1c9e01e5cd_c.jpg
    Aldi Greystones pre opening 6th Jan 2014 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Advertisement