Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Greystones ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

FirstIn wrote: »
    What are the differences between it and lidl! Is there more to it that having different offers.

Different ranges ? Cheaper ? Store size looks similar to lidl.

Given its closer to me in C'land that's a benefit.

I'd say about 2/3 of meat etc is all Irish compared to most of the Lidl stuff being brought over from Germany...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

JanneG wrote: »
    I'd say about 2/3 of meat etc is all Irish compared to most of the Lidl stuff being brought over from Germany...
    There's actually quite a lot of the meat sold in Lidl that's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What are the differences between it and lidl! Is there more to it that having different offers.

Different ranges ? Cheaper ? Store size looks similar to lidl.
    Aldi do far less brands than Lidl (only 2 I can really think off are they now do Kellogg's Cornflakes and Coca Cola/ Diet Coke), and they don't have a bakery.

However, we also find their own brand stuff better than Lidl (both are better quality and value than the mainstream supermarkets imo), and the shop normally works out cheaper in Aldi. I'm not really 100% sure whether Aldi is cheaper, or whether the temptation/ default to the brands in lidl make it more there.

We get our meat in our local butcher, but Aldi does have a very good reputation for Irish meat in terms of quality and value.

Won't be venturing to the new store for a couple of weeks, as it'll be packed with people going for a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

My mate and I went for a browse and came out with a tenner worths of produce. He is working on the frittata at the moment while I sip on my ice cold Alska. A Swedish strawberry and lime cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I presume the car park won't be as buys on a normal day (non opening day) there was a queue on mill road to get in and then you had to wait for a space. i guess people were like me and just having a look. I prefer the choice in Tesco myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Jimjay wrote: »
    I presume the car park won't be as buys on a normal day (non opening day) there was a queue on mill road to get in and then you had to wait for a space. i guess people were like me and just having a look. I prefer the choice in Tesco myself
    Choice yes! Price No!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its quite a small carpark - says 93 spaces in the article in the NWT.

its not just that Lidl and Aldi are cheaper, its the transparent pricing that I like. In Tesco the prices are constantly changing, and the deals are never what they appear - you need your wits about you shopping there. Tesco keep changing the layout of the store as well.

I miss Quinnsworth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

red_bairn wrote: »
    I miss Quinnsworth. :D

And yer man with the white polo neck jumper and the yellow packs :D ( a bit before your time)

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    And yer man with the white polo neck jumper and the yellow packs :D ( a bit before your time)

I can't even remember when it closed it was that far back :(

I remember they had some customer service centre thing similar to the one at Superquinn, Bray. :D

• Advertisement

Choice yes! Price No!

Sure but but most of the cheap stuff i have tried from aldi and lidl tastes crap. Just an example, wow those fillets of fish are so cheap im having them. Hmm chuck all the fish out as it takes longer to pick the bones out as it does to eat it.
    I may go to aldi for fresh veg but tesco keep giving me vouchers if i could have got my shop cheaper at aldi or lidl so may as well keep going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Big aisles. That's the thing that struck me.

Also, where were the George Foreman special offer grills?

Big aisles. That's the thing that struck me.

Also, where were the George Foreman special offer grills?

Between the special offer pressure cookers and the special offer halogen cookers

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Re the George Foreman grills - Gone by 7pm. They were good value.

I may go to aldi for fresh veg but tesco keep giving me vouchers if i could have got my shop cheaper at aldi or lidl so may as well keep going there.
    I'd rather have the cash in my own pocket, than vouchers to go back to a place that admit themselves (by giving the vouchers) that they are more expensive! That Tesco deal has it's very own thread in Bargain Alerts - it doesn't come out that well, but it's obviously working!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I dunno for me the thought of driving to 2/3 stores to do my shopping just doesnt appeal, as IMO Lidl / Aldi arent "one stop shops" for me.

Veg, fruit and cleaning products then maybe yes, but for me Im not keen on their cheeses, or frozen food, or meat. Plus there are certain brands I like to but are not avaiable in these stores.

So for what i want I'd be going to 2/3 shops and I just couldnt be bothered, I work long hours and the thought of spending more free time driving , parking and shopping in different stores just isnt for me. For what I would save in money I would loose in time so all in all its not savings ;)

But i think its great for people who have more time or dont mind all the messing around!

Personally its a good addition but I think the location for the Aldi in Greystones is all wrong, the traffic, parking is limited and the fact thats its a really ugly building on a main road ... I have seen other Aldi's that look faaaar nice (the one in Naas Monread being one) where as a warehouse Aldi on the main road into Greystones is an eye sore if you ask me.

I'm surprised about the cheeses (both Aldi and Lidl have a good reputation for cheese - I'm only into plain cheeses really and find the Aldi is my favourite of all the brands/ own brands for cheddar tbh). However, a tesco is very near my work, so any brands I can pick up handy enough. There's not that many we really get now though - Kellogg's cereals, fairy washing liquid for the children’s clothes, coke, and our favourite alcoholic drinks are all that spring to mind. We started off years ago doing a week's shop in Tesco, and then the next week in Aldi or Lidl, and just through a process of trying their own stuff we've eliminated the brands over the years. It wasn't really a conscious effort at the start, more curiosity when you see the price difference - several of them would be our households’ preference over the brands at this stage. It's easier to that at Aldi, as you have virtually no brands to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sure but but most of the cheap stuff i have tried from aldi and lidl tastes crap. Just an example, wow those fillets of fish are so cheap im having them. Hmm chuck all the fish out as it takes longer to pick the bones out as it does to eat it.
    Actually I find the opposite. A lot of aldi and lidl products are good quality and taste good and I've never found bones in the fish.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The meats and cheeses in Aldi and Lidl are actually very high quality and there is a good range.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

The meats and cheeses in Aldi and Lidl are actually very high quality and there is a good range.

Sometimes things are about personal taste, I didnt post saying Aldi was crap etc. I said i dont like their foods.

One of the many resaons for me not liking some of their food was I purchased what they branded as "Feta" cheese a few years ago, which should be 70% sheep / goats milk but can contain traces of cows milk.
    Well when i got home i discovered what they referred to as "Feta" had infact 75% cows milk and traces of sheeps milk, which IMO is false labelling, this is why I would only purchase "certain" items ie Fruit / veg and cleaning products, I wouldnt buy any other consumables there as to be honest I dont trust their labelling 100% and I also am a firm believer in you pay for what you get...

as in if you buy really cheap food, this inturn leads to cheap / poor quality ingredients. Thats just my opinion....

To each their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

pixbyjohn wrote: »

He was a Pratt :D

Very much each to their own, but I don't believe quality necessarily comes with price. Tesco had to settle with Aldi when they claimed price comparisons, but the court found that the Aldi products were better quality and/or bigger packs at the same price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

stevieob wrote: »
    He was a Pratt :D

Wrong....the Pratt came much much later :P

Advertisement