Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with CAO system.

• 26-07-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I have now realised that I am past the July 1st closing date and have checked my list.

1. GY119 Arts with Journalism
    2. GY112 Arts with Film Studies
    3. GY101 Arts
    4. GA281 Film and Documentary

These are my preferences. I really want to do GA281 Film and Documentary but I'm aware that it's at the bottom of the list. Can someone please disclose if it is possible to join this course or if there is anything that can happen that will help me in my aspirations. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi, I have now realised that I am past the July 1st closing date and have checked my list.

1. GY119 Arts with Journalism
    2. GY112 Arts with Film Studies
    3. GY101 Arts
    4. GA281 Film and Documentary

These are my preferences. I really want to do GA281 Film and Documentary but I'm aware that it's at the bottom of the list. Can someone please disclose if it is possible to join this course or if there is anything that can happen that will help me in my aspirations. Thanks. :)

I'm doubting myself here but i was nearly sure that you can just not accept the first 3 and accept the 4th if you get offered all of them! i was always told you can always move down the list but not up on the cao :)You should contact cao and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FranicusThe2nd

Thanks a lot for the reply. It's not often some takes interest in someone elses future but I guess that's the wonder of this forum! I was always under the impression that you can only reject one offer but I'm not sure. I guess I will contact them. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Thanks a lot for the reply. It's not often some takes interest in someone elses future but I guess that's the wonder of this forum! I was always under the impression that you can only reject one offer but I'm not sure. I guess I will contact them. Thanks!

oh no.. i looked this up for you in the cao handbook because i really wasn't sure and i just found this :s
    exclusion from lower preferences IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in
    one of your course preferences, you are excluded from
    further consideration for any course which is lower in your
    order of preference than the one in which you have been
    offered a place.
    This means that while you may subsequently move
    upwards in your order of preference (if places become
    available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered
    for a place in a course which is a lower preference than
    that already offered

sorry i was wrong, there may be a way around this , i don't know :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

As per the CAO offers thread last year, unfortunately you can only move up on your list, but not down ie. if you've been offered your first preference you can't refuse it and take a lower-preference course, provided the all the spots are taken in the course I assume.

I'm open to correction, and there is always the chance you end up falling to your #4 due to results or there may be vacant spots in the course.
    Exclusion from lower preferences

IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one of your course preferences, you are excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower in your order of preference than the one in which you have been offered a place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards in your order of preference (if places become available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a course which is a lower preference than that already offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I'm doubting myself here but i was nearly sure that you can just not accept the first 3 and accept the 4th if you get offered all of them! i was always told you can always move down the list but not up on the cao :)You should contact cao and ask them.

No, its the opposite way around. If you get offered your number 2, anything from 3 down is gone, but you still might get No. 1 in a further round.

FranicusThe2nd, the only way you can be offered your No. 4 at this stage is if you don't get the points for the first 3 but do get enough for Film and Documentary. You can also keep an eye on the Available/Vacant places once the offers are out to see if your course appears there.

As Film and Documentary is in a different college to your first 3 I'm not sure what you could do about transferring courses, but this would be something to ask the admissions offices of the colleges once you get the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

randy will be here to give you a prompt whiping.

If you get your second offer everything below is instantly wiped, evaporated, poof, gone.

You can however move up to your top if a place become available that you a eligible for e.g points come down in second round.

Either you get it or you re apply in next years CAO.

Advertisement