Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Church records for Killargue/Dromahair/Maonorhamilton area

• 26-07-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I was just wondering if anybody would know where I could get information on Church records from the Killargue/Dromahair/Maonorhamilton area from the 1800's? I am looking at records about the family of James McGoey who's wifes name was Ann McLoughlin. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am interested to learn more about this family as my own relatives know very little.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Manorhamilton village/townland is in the civil parish of Cloonclare. Mitchell's book says this corresponds with the Catholic parish of Manorhamilton. Grenham says it's called Cloonclare. The records for this Catholic parish begin in 1841 (baps) and 1850 (marriages).

Manorhamilton village/townland is right on the border of Cloonclare and Killasnet civil parishes. Killasnet corresponds with Killasnet Catholic parish. Baps and marriages start in 1852. If they lived to the east/north east of Manorhamilton village then they lived in Killasnet parishes.

Dromahair townland/village is in Drumlease civil parish which corresponds with Dromahaire Catholic parish according to Mitchell. Grenham calls it Drumlease Catholic parish. Records begin in 1859 for baps and marriages

Killargue townland(?) is in Killarga civil parish which corresponds with Killargue Catholic parish. Births and baps begin in 1852.

RootsIreland.ie has:
    Cloonclare 1841 - 1899(baps)/1850 - 1899(marriages)
    Killargue* 1853 - 1899(baps)/1852 - 1899(marriages)
    Drumlease* 1859 - 1899(baps)/1859 - 1899(marriages)
    Killasnett* 1852 - 1869, 1874-1875, 1878-1897(baps)/1852 - 1870
    1879 - 1899(marriages)

If you don't want to give RI your money all parishes are at the NLI and the asterisk indicates they are also at PRONI in Belfast.

EDIT: one more thing, try the Leitrim County Library too. Most county libraries have parish microfilms.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dee12_7

Thanks a million for the info. I'll have to make a visit to Dublin then as I find RootsIreland quite expensive. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

If I have the correct couple then they married in 1887. Based on the BMD Index on FamilySearch and Free Index on RootsIreland the marriage took place in the Civil registration District of Manorhamilton, sub-district of Dromahaire. The RC parish was Killargue (NLI Film Pos. 5344)

Given the date I think I'd start the search with a civil marriage cert, as it should include more details than a parish record, e.g. places of residence, details of father's names and occupations etc......

BMD Index References :
    Name : James M'Goey
    Event Type : Marriage
    Quarter and Year : Jan - Mar 1887
    Registration District : Manorhamilton
    Volume : 2 / Page : 270
    A matching entry appears for a Anne M'Loghlin

It appears they may have had about 8 children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

based on the names I'd say this is the family on the 1911 census at Boggaun townland, which is located in Cloonlogher Civil parish. There's a separate townland named Boggaun in Co. Leitrim in Oughteragh civil parish : McGoey household, Boggaun

Married 25 years, so c1886 and fit's that possible marriage. The same family in 1901, with Alice as 'Allis'..

The Griffith's Valuation entry for this townland is dated 1857, and doesn't seem to include any McGoey households , but there is a John McLoughlin occupying about 23 acres.... possibly Anne's father ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dee12_7

Thanks for all the help. Ive compared my information to the different details supplied. I think Ill have to go to Dublin to get a look at the records in the next few weeks. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭francis1978

Wow ! Imagine my surprise at seeing Dromahair mentioned on Boards on a Saturday morning ! If the op wants to call up to Dromahair to do some footwork here's a few hopefully helpful pointers;
    1. Check all the local graveyards for Dromahair itself this will involve Creevelea Abbey (just outside the town, but in a different parish and diocese) its a short walk along the river,
    2. Carrickatemple located on the way to Newtownmanor.
    3. Killargue cemetery new and old.
    4. These is also a graveyard in Ballinagar a few miles outside the village itself.
    5. There is an old 'mixed' graveyard on the way to the '5 cross roads' you can the ruin of the attached church from the road.
    6. It might be worth expanding your search to include Killery graveyard this is again about 2-2.5 miles from Dromahair on the way to the Lake Isle of Innisfree.
    7. As for Manorhamilton there are a few graveyards around the town itself. one on the right as you come in the main Dublin road (this road will take you through the townland of Buggaun !), and another in the middle of the town as you climb the hill in your LHS.
    8. Lastly the names you asked for are not uncommon in the area, the surname Mc Gooey is common in the Dromahair/Killargue area, and as for Mc Loughlin there are loads there are also O Loughlins and Loughlin on its own.
    Hopefully this will be of some help to you in your research.

Advertisement