Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for good butcher in Blackrock

Options
  • 26-07-2013 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Moving again soon - wondering if anyone could recommend good butcher esp for Irish beef in/near Blackrock village. Fed up with those supermarket vacupacs! Think there's one in Frascati Centre - good?
    Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

The one in the Frascati only does pre-pack afaik. James Whelan in Monkstown Village is a good quality butcher. They do the pre-pack stuff, but also have the traditional style of ... not prepacked.

Other options include the Old Dun Laoghaire Shopping center basment ( can't think of butcher name ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There's a Good Butchers up Newtownpark ave. Beside the old Playwright pub, Mother-in-laws buys all her meat there and swears by it.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Thanks - l'll definitely check both of them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fenelons in Stillorgan SC is also worth a look, mix of prepared stuff and traditional butcher service.

coylemj wrote: »
    Fenelons in Stillorgan SC is also worth a look, mix of prepared stuff and traditional butcher service.

Should have thought of that one myself - used to go there as a kid with my mother back in the 80's! Ta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

A 'good' butcher is in the eye of the beholder and it depends what you're looking for.

The Newtownpark butcher may have changed his policy but when I tried him, his beef had only been hung for 14 days and he argued the toss about longer maturation. He was pushing a lot of 'value added' items that didn't appeal to me, given that I prefer to make my own marinades and meatballs.

The last time I asked Fenelons for beef they only offered Hereford - having said that, their spiced/corned beef is particularly good. The fish counter was great for a while but has gone downhill recently.

Whelan's in Monkstown (inside Avoca) is great. My new crush is Farrelly's in Delgany for a bi-monthly visit. They have their own small abattoir out the back so the provenance of the meat is excellent but it's a 30 minute drive each way. Super Valu in Mount Merrion is prepacked but has - but no, don't go there. I don't want to arrive and find my favorites sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Would also strongly recommend Fenelons for plain meat and fish, wouldn't be keen on the marinated meat there, but that probably applies to most butchers.

Regarding the fish counter, it seems to be hit and miss, largely depending on the day you arrive. Thursday or Friday is generally best. If you have the time it's probably better to go to a Northside fishmonger, such as Wright's of Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Regarding the fish counter, it seems to be hit and miss, largely depending on the day you arrive. Thursday or Friday is generally best. If you have the time it's probably better to go to a Northside fishmonger, such as Wright's of Marino.

Or go down to the Fish shop on the pier in Dún Laoghaire

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Another vote for Fenelons in Stillorgan.

uch wrote: »
    Or go down to the Fish shop on the pier in Dún Laoghaire

Coal pier, it's super! Been going there for ever. Anyone know if you can still get fresh shellfish in Bullock Harbor? Used to get crab there way back in the 80's, but not sure if it's been banned since.

Lots of good suggestions, half thinking of taking a wee road trip, getting a big fat rib eye from each place and doing a taste test :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

The Quay Fish shop isn't the best IMO, Georges in the Farm has fresher fish with better deals ( it's the retail arm of Ocean Marine ). Cavistons is quite good for fish too, albeit at the higher end of the price scale

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

coylemj wrote: »
    Plus one on Fenelons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Butchers on Newtownpark Avenue is closed now, a pity as very few other places local.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Lola92 wrote: »
    Butchers on Newtownpark Avenue is closed now, a pity as very few other places local.

I found the place very, very expensive mind compared to a lot of other butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Butchers behind where I work is literally 50-66% the price on a lot of stuff compared to Fenelons, Dundrum TC butcher, and the Newtownpark Avenue one. Makes it an easy choice as to where to shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Tragedy wrote: »
    Butchers behind where I work is literally 50-66% the price on a lot of stuff compared to Fenelons, Dundrum TC butcher, and the Newtownpark Avenue one. Makes it an easy choice as to where to shop!

Just moved to the area, what butchers would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Crumlin, unfortunately! Haven't found a good relatively well priced butcher around Stillorgan/Sandyford yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

Tragedy wrote: »
    Crumlin, unfortunately! Haven't found a good relatively well priced butcher around Stillorgan/Sandyford yet.

Can you give mt the name please or DM it to me. I'm between Rathgar and Harolds Cross. Thanks

Advertisement