Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

630000 Members

Options
  • 26-07-2013 12:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9

In reality how many is it?

How many active non banned users in the last 9 months?

http://www.boards.ie/content/about-us
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

you don't ban me, i ban you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

46 0s wrote: »
    In reality how many is it?
    How many active non banned users in the last 9 months?
    Don't know, about 4000 online right now and it's quiet. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

^^ those figures may not be accurate btw, as Thromer would say - I picked them out of my a.....

...wait, what? is this being recorded?

/runs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Blah blah whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

As always, great feedback from the regulars :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

2,400,000 unique users....

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tallon wrote: »
    As always, great feedback from the regulars :rolleyes:

Hmmm, Tallon's gone.

In case anyone was wondering, the "blah blah whatever" comment was just a nod of the head towards the (now banned) OP's former nickname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Hmmm, Tallon's gone.

In case anyone was wondering, the "blah blah whatever" comment was just a nod of the head towards the (now banned) OP's former nickname.

I don't get this about feedback why bother commenting if you have nothing to say thats in anyway constructive if its a banned rereg just report the post like your meant to on other forums.

I don't get this about feedback why bother commenting if you have nothing to say thats in anyway constructive if its a banned rereg just report the post like your meant to on other forums.

Because I felt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Regardless of the OP, I thought it was an interesting question. :o

It's inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but I'd be curious to know how many of the 630k are spambots with permanent bans and 0 posts. Ditto reregs.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It's inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but I'd be curious to know how many of the 630k are spambots with permanent bans and 0 posts. Ditto reregs.

The public banlist has just over 63,000 - I'd say most of them are bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

And are there any public figures for Closed Accounts?

No, not that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭WalterSmitty

Over 75000 of the accounts belong to me. The total number of active posters is much smaller, and dropping like a lead balloon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Where can we find the member's list these days?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posy wrote: »
    Where can we find the member's list these days?

here

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

630,000 accounts registered
    60,000+ on the banlist
    500,000+ or so on the members list
    suggests 60,000+ closed accounts;)

Of course a lot of those who closed their account could have re-registered or could have been closed because the user had another active account

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Because I felt like it.

Jesus wept. Undoubtedly the most profoundly cringeworthy contribution to a feedback thread I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Because I felt like it.
    Aidric wrote: »
    Jesus wept. Undoubtedly the most profoundly cringeworthy contribution to a feedback thread I've ever seen.
    I know. Might as well say "I'm a mod and I'm here a long time, therefore I'll post dickish comments with impunity if I want."
    It's like they just keep refreshing Feedback for new posts that they can pounce on. Sad really.

Who asked you? And who asked RDM_83? Yer "contributions" were hardly profound or useful either.

• Advertisement

Who asked you? And who asked RDM_83? Yer "contributions" were hardly profound or useful either.
    Nobody has to "ask" them anything for them to post their view. Just like nobody asks you for your constant sneers here.

I know. Might as well say "I'm a mod and I'm here a long time, therefore I'll post dickish comments with impunity if I want."
    It's like they just keep refreshing Feedback for new posts that they can pounce on. Sad really.
    Nobody has to "ask" them anything for them to post their view. Just like nobody asks you for your constant sneers here.

Tag-team character assassination? Seems ye know yer way around old skool Feedback/ mob-justice pretty well yerselves. Y'all stay classy now.

Tag-team character assassination? Seems ye know yer way around old skool Feedback/ mob-justice pretty well yerselves. Y'all stay classy now.
    Tag team? I haven't a clue of those other members.
    Are you seriously suggesting you don't know what behaviour of yours is being referred to and that we're just ganging up on you (rather than having our own views formed individually) for the craic? Seriously?

Tag team? I haven't a clue of those other members.
    Are you seriously suggesting you don't know what behaviour of yours is being referred to and that we're just ganging up on you (rather than having our own views formed individually) for the craic? Seriously?

I can see nothing wrong in pointing out a serial re-reg for what they are, especially when that poster has been abusing innocent-looking Feedback threads for nearly a decade in his continued attempts to undermine the entire premise of this website.

I think it's ironic that some posters in this thread appear to be mimicking my own blunt style of commentary while complaining about said style. If you can't beat them, join them?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Stop acting like babies. Seriously. No one gives a fcuk.

Stop acting like babies. Seriously. No one gives a fcuk.
    Well you seem to, given that you resurrected the thread several hours after the last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What I want to know is why the OP is so fixated on large numbers of zeroes? (based on the banlist anyway...)

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The numbers can be interesting. A couple of years back I was a member of a secret forum hereabouts. Nice bunch of folks. Anyway it was a tiny forum at the time, less than 20 members and because it was secret, naturally no lurkers or passersby. After little over a year it was running to a fair few pages of threads and the chat thread had many thousands of posts. If it was a public forum it would have looked more busy than a helluva lot of them. With less than 20 posters.

The overall stats are all very well, but IMHO the number of those actually creating content on the site are remarkably small considering. Take somewhere like the Ladies Lounge, I'd personally reckon a rolling contributor base of about 40 posters. Take out the chat thread and you could drop that quite a bit and tLL is in the top ten(if not top five) of forums in the category on popularity.

Now somewhere like Politics or the most popular forum on Boards After Hours those numbers of course go up quite a bit, but even so I'd not be surprised to find that 90% of the After Hours content is posted by around 200 people(again as a rolling figure).

Add in those who post across multiple forums - gobby pricks like me for example - I reckon the content building community is actually remarkably small given the size of the place and the stats that come out of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good post Wibbs! I'd also have to assume boards.ie has figured out what the actual number of active users is and keeps a close eye on it. Would of course understand why it wouldn't be publically accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno how easy it would be to work out for the site LL. The hard stats can hide a multitude. In any event I'm not sure it matters that much. Even though I would contend the real figures for the site that drive it's content and online community and "value" are nowhere near the large numbers, Boards would still be the biggest online forum place in Ireland by a long way and would dwarf many an international one too.

Still it does mean that Boards and other online forums are more vulnerable to decline and potential upset than the hard numbers might otherwise suggest. That there is a much smaller count of members and forums, keystones as it were, who drive the site overall. After Hours would be an obvious example of a Keystone forum, Politics another. Keystone members? Zaph would be one IMHO, not so much because of content, but due to his dedication, attention and sheer work on this site. The fcuker never sleeps, or maybe he's outsourcing to India. :D DeV was obviously one, if not the one, both in content and sheer hard work building the site in the first place. I can think of a few others in smaller forums where it's naturally more noticeable. Forums that would basically die off if they stopped posting.

That said Boards has the advantage of the breadth of forums it contains, so can suffer shrinkage in one area and make it up elsewhere.

We all remember Web 1.0 when investors went batcrap crazy to plough money into this new potential capital stream. And we know how that went too, with cash being pissed away on vapour. Now we're supposed to be in Web 2.0 and all that is behind us. IMHO yes things are far more measured, but some of that web hype is still there, only way better disguised in large number stats and in many cases top quality BS. Look at how many gazillions google is worth, largely on the back of advertising revenue from ads the vast majority of folks avoid clicking like the very plague. Instagram was worth nigh on a billion dollars according to Facebook. Eh wut? How does it make money then? I dunno if the emperor has no clothes, but IMH quite a few emperors are only wearing very fancy Y fronts

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement