Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi 100% irish made with eu pork

Options
  • 26-07-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

just noticed the brannans vac pac rasher in aldi is made from eu pork. despite them saying it is irish. no wonder we have problems with food quality when they are allowed get away with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's bollix alright, food should only say irish when it's irish, some gombeen from cavan wrapping it in Chinese plastic shouldn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last time I checked, Ireland was in The EU, although I suspect if it was Irish pork it would say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you make bacon from EU pork in Ireland, then presumably you can call it Irish bacon.

Maybe the manufacturers can't get enough pork from Irish suppliers to meet demand, so what are they supposed to do then? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't imagine Ireland was one of the major pork producers in the EU (compared to say, the Netherlands or Denmark), but we consume a fair bit of bacon, so I guess they have no choice other than to source it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Alun wrote: »
    If you make bacon from EU pork in Ireland, then presumably you can call it Irish bacon.

It's like the difference between 'Irish Smoked Salmon' and 'Smoked Irish Salmon'.....

It's ridiculous alright.

Guess we have the EU to thank for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or the Chicken Goujons that are sold as Irish merely because the breadcrumbs were put on them in Ireland, the chicken can be from anywhere but as long as you put the crumb on here then they can be sold as Irish.

It's pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Maybe the manufacturers can't get enough pork from Irish suppliers to meet demand, so what are they supposed to do then? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't imagine Ireland was one of the major pork producers in the EU (compared to say, the Netherlands or Denmark), but we consume a fair bit of bacon, so I guess they have no choice other than to source it elsewhere.

Label it honestly? Seems pretty obvious to me.

dub_skav wrote: »
    Label it honestly? Seems pretty obvious to me.
    As far as I can tell from the OP's post they did, i.e. somewhere on the packaging it said "made from pork sourced in the EU" or something similar, otherwise how would he have known?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

As far as I can tell from the OP's post they did, i.e. somewhere on the packaging it said "made from pork sourced in the EU" or something similar, otherwise how would he have known?

it also said it was irish. the confusion being why if it is irish do you need to use eu pork which includes dutch danish etc.

gowley wrote: »
    it also said it was irish. the confusion being why if it is irish do you need to use eu pork which includes dutch danish etc.
    Like I said, it said "Irish sausages" which they are, i.e. made in Ireland. Also maybe they just can't get enough quantities of Irish pork consistently for whatever reason.

Like I said, it said "Irish sausages" which they are, i.e. made in Ireland. Also maybe they just can't get enough quantities of Irish pork consistently for whatever reason.

actually it said rashers...bit of a difference there don't you think so?

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    actually it said rashers...bit of a difference there don't you think so?
    Whatever, they're still produced from pork, and my point still stands.

Whatever, they're still produced from pork, and my point still stands.

hmmm......no it doesn't, it didn't before and it still doesn't.

sorry

theres a difference between made in ireland and made from irish pork. Sausages are a completely different example to rashers because of all the ingredients added apart from pork that is why there are hardly any carrying the bord bia logo because its too difficult to trace. bottom line is that if it was irish it wouldnt state made from eu pork

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aliceayres

It's an advertising farce but I wouldn't instantly believe it is any indication of lower quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,410 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are people really suggesting that to have a label "made in ireland", that every single ingredient should be entirely made in ireland.
    I think people should think about for a second. Specifically in relation to natural flavouring, seasons, salt etc.

Without some flexibility a huge amount of items would be excluded due to the smallest thing. People and companies absolutely abuse the flexibility in the laws, but suggesting that its a farce/bollix/the EUs fault that the flexibility exists is misunderstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

I remember when all the pork was recalled a few years ago there was"product of france" stickers put on all of the pork and rashers in there

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Boards food forum has at least one of these threads every year and rarely do posters research the current and incoming legislation from Europe before they go off on a rant.

www.fsai.ie
    Country of Origin

Country of origin labelling is currently mandatory for certain products such as beef, fish, honey, olive oil and fresh fruit and vegetables. In other cases, it currently only becomes mandatory when its absence might mislead consumers as to the true origin of the product. Under the new rules, the mandatory indication of country of origin or place of provenance is extended to the meat of pigs, sheep, goats and poultry. Following an impact assessment on the introduction of such rules, the EU Commission is required to introduce legislation setting out how origin will be determined and how this information must be indicated. The European Commission must introduce these rules by 13th December, 2013.

In addition, the new Regulation requires the EU Commission to set out rules where the country of origin or the place of provenance of a food is given and where it is not the same as that of its primary ingredient (defined as representing more than 50% of the food). These rules will require that the country of origin orplace of provenance of the primary ingredient must:

(a) Also be given; or
    (b) Be indicated as being different to that of the food

Legislation setting out the rules on how this will be implemented must be produced by the EU Commission by 13th December, 2013. In addition, by this date they are also required to submit a report to the European
    Parliament and the Council regarding the mandatory indication of the country of origin or place or provenance for meat used as an ingredient. In addition, by 13th December, 2014, the European Commission must also carry out a feasibility study and submit it to the European Parliament and the Council on the possibility of extending country of origin labelling to other categories of food, such as other meats not listed in paragraph 2 above, milk, milk used as an ingredient in dairy products, unprocessed foods, single ingredient foods and ingredients that represent more than 50% of a food

Mellor wrote: »
    Are people really suggesting that to have a label "made in ireland", that every single ingredient should be entirely made in ireland.
    I think people should think about for a second. Specifically in relation to natural flavouring, seasons, salt etc.

Without some flexibility a huge amount of items would be excluded due to the smallest thing. People and companies absolutely abuse the flexibility in the laws, but suggesting that its a farce/bollix/the EUs fault that the flexibility exists is misunderstand.

the op was specifically about pork. not seasoning salt etc. the label said made from eu pork in tiny writing on the back. the post was originally about rashers not sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 39,410 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

the op was specifically about pork. not seasoning salt etc. the label said made from eu pork in tiny writing on the back. the post was originally about rashers not sausages
    Where did I mention sausages?
    I wasn't even talking about the OP specifically.

Regarding the OP;
    Rashers are bacon, not pork btw. Making bacon is a process in its self. One that differs from region to region. I would imagine, based on the label in the OP, that those rashers were made in ireland (from EU pork), to an irish "recipe", method, etc. They should taste like regular irish rashers, which is very different from italian bacon (for example).

I'm not suggesting that the label isn't a little misleading, it is.
    Nor am I saying that it is identical to buying irish bacon from irish pork. It isn't.
    All I'm saying is that if one product was made to an "irish" method and other was made elsewhere in the EU, I'd prefer to know where comparing it to one made entirely overseas.

As an example. I live in sydney, sausages and bacon here are very different to home. There's a butcher called "the irish butcher", who sells irish style cured bacon, irish pork sausages etc. At no point did I think he was getting pigs shipped out here, to me it refers to the style of bacon.
    I dunno, maybe my own situation gives me a different outlook of these things.

Mellor wrote: »
    Where did I mention sausages?
    I wasn't even talking about the OP specifically.

Regarding the OP;
    Rashers are bacon, not pork btw. Making bacon is a process in its self. One that differs from region to region. I would imagine, based on the label in the OP, that those rashers were made in ireland (from EU pork), to an irish "recipe", method, etc. They should taste like regular irish rashers, which is very different from italian bacon (for example).

I'm not suggesting that the label isn't a little misleading, it is.
    Nor am I saying that it is identical to buying irish bacon from irish pork. It isn't.
    All I'm saying is that if one product was made to an "irish" method and other was made elsewhere in the EU, I'd prefer to know where comparing it to one made entirely overseas.

As an example. I live in sydney, sausages and bacon here are very different to home. There's a butcher called "the irish butcher", who sells irish style cured bacon, irish pork sausages etc. At no point did I think he was getting pigs shipped out here, to me it refers to the style of bacon.
    I dunno, maybe my own situation gives me a different outlook of these things.

i agree with most of what you say. however bacon has very few ingredients. pork , water , salt and possibly sodium nitrate. my only point is that the label is misleading. its no wonder we have so many issues here when there are few regulations or they are not enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

i agree with most of what you say. however bacon has very few ingredients. pork , water , salt and possibly sodium nitrate. my only point is that the label is misleading. its no wonder we have so many issues here when there are few regulations or they are not enforced

They are enforced, if you see a problem report it.

Advertisement