Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a dog back to Ireland

• 26-07-2013 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend and I are currently in Australia. Life was going great until she decided to adopt a cattle dog puppy.

I am just wondering does anyone know the cost of bringing a dog back home with us and if there will be any need for quarantine even doe the dog will be fully vaccinated ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

don't quote me on this, but friends of my parents brought a dog back from australia, the dog was in quarantine for 3 months and i think the whole lot cost something like 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bluesteel7

wesf wrote: »
    don't quote me on this, but friends of my parents brought a dog back from australia, the dog was in quarantine for 3 months and i think the whole lot cost something like 3k

Was thinking around the same number. Seems a lot of money for little dog.

Yeh it's a lot alright, just depends on how attached she is to the dog I suppose, if it's a fairly new puppy you will be missing out on 3 months of the most important time to be spending with the dog, and also is it fair to leave the dog for that long etc.
    Easier to leave a new puppy than a dog you've had for a year or so.
    I've 2 labs, 7 and 8 and as silly as it sounds i wouldn't leave the country as long as they are still around.
    Funny thing is, the people ended up going back to australia lately after being home a few years, and left the dog here with parents

It would be hard to leave him if he still a puppy but we should be in Oz until 2015 so she defiantly won't leave it behind after all that time together. Lets hope all will work out. Thanks for your help

no prob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Bluesteel7 wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I are currently in Australia. Life was going great until she decided to adopt a cattle dog puppy.

I am just wondering does anyone know the cost of bringing a dog back home with us and if there will be any need for quarantine even doe the dog will be fully vaccinated ?

Life was great until she adopted the dog? Do u want the dog op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I brought a dog to Australia and back (we had a permanent visa and were unsure if we would stay or not).
    We did it via the UK's pet passport scheme as Ireland hadn't introduced this yet so I can't be informative about costs as it was 10 years ago but I remember it wasn't difficult and AQIS were very clear about the requirements - rabies vaccination, specific boarding kennels prior to transport, type of crate etc etc - and we followed them to the letter so had no problems at all. TBH we found it much harder to get the dog from Ireland than to Ireland.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I brought a dog to Australia and back (we had a permanent visa and were unsure if we would stay or not).
    We did it via the UK's pet passport scheme as Ireland hadn't introduced this yet so I can't be informative about costs as it was 10 years ago but I remember it wasn't difficult and AQIS were very clear about the requirements - rabies vaccination, specific boarding kennels prior to transport, type of crate etc etc - and we followed them to the letter so had no problems at all. TBH we found it much harder to get the dog from Ireland than to Ireland.
    Thanks for the info. I will get in touch with them for more information. Do they arrange the flight for the dog or do you need to do this yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

In that case (above) might it be easier to look into getting the dog from Oz into the UK... And then hop on a ferry to Ireland?

Just putting it out there in case there's an easier way to get to the UK, than Ireland? But I know nowt about it...

• Advertisement

Bluesteel7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I will get in touch with them for more information. Do they arrange the flight for the dog or do you need to do this yourself?

Did this ourselves in cooperation with the AQIS approved kennel we used in Brissie - found Qantas very easy to deal with and OH was on the same flight so we picked them both up in London. We could have flown them both over on Air Lingus but they were a nightmare to deal with when trying to get the dog to London on way out so we went for the ferry option. Much easier.

The kennels had done this many times before so they sorted out the vet visit prior to flying and delivery in specified type of crate to airport. We still had the crate she had flown out in, but kennel could have supplied if we needed it.

I really did find the Aussie end easy to deal with as they were very clear about all of the requirements - the Irish side on way out *shudder*.

Hooked wrote: »
    In that case (above) might it be easier to look into getting the dog from Oz into the UK... And then hop on a ferry to Ireland?

Just putting it out there in case there's an easier way to get to the UK, than Ireland? But I know nowt about it...

That's what we did on way back.
    Aer Lingus were a nightmare to deal with so we avoided them on return journey and took the ferry.

Qantas facilitated this by making sure dog and OH were on the same flight. OH was even allowed to visit dog on Singapore stop over and take her for a wee walk in the quarantine area.

Advertisement