Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a stall at the Market

Options
  • 26-07-2013 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hey

I'm just wondering, does anybody know how one would go about setting up a stall at the Saturday market??
    I can't seem to find any information on this but would be interested in finding out!

Any info would be helpful, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Corpo give out licences once (possibly twice) a year. If things hav'nt changed the next time is probably September. There is probably a waiting list though.
    If you ring City Hall they should be able to give you details. Not sure which department is dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Hey

I'm just wondering, does anybody know how one would go about setting up a stall at the Saturday market??
    I can't seem to find any information on this but would be interested in finding out!

Any info would be helpful, Thanks

was just talking with one of the traders yesterday and she said in passing that Saturday is pretty full up so maybe go talk to one of them, they all help each other out from what I've seen

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Licence for Saturdays - traditional traders get priority and any few remaining places are given by a lottery system. It's very hard to get a Saturday licence and a huge waiting list.

More threads www.google.ie/search?q=galway+market+stall+licence+site%3Aboards.ie

Department of Environment at city hall is the place to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

if you wanna get a saturday licence you're gonna first have to get a sunday licence. that shouldn't be too hard. but if you have a sunday licence itmeans you could get a licence for the arts festival and christmas. my missus does the sunday one but she also does loads of other markets near galway. what would you be flogging at the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

I've a load of books I want to sell this way, shame they are so strict about street trading they should loosen up the rules a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

SolarFlash wrote: »
    I've a load of books I want to sell this way, shame they are so strict about street trading they should loosen up the rules a bit.

Are they normal books (novels, auto bios/modern books)?
    You could try Claregalway market, Sunday's.
    I don't think you'd get a stall for 1 Saturday only, seems like you get it for months.
    2nd books sell very cheaply anyway I think

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Thanks for all the replies! I went to speak to a lady today at one of the stalls and she said that you apply to the council but as somebody hear has said I have missed next years application all ready!
    She said that there is another one for Christmas coming up so i will give that a go. My only concern with being there for chirstmas would be that it would be very quiet if the German market is back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

The hype around Continental Christmas Market will be bringing people into Galway who will be having a look around the city in general. As long as the Galway Market does a good job advertising itself, there should be a good enough crowd coming through.

Friends of mine have been running a stall for years, PM me with your details and I could always ask them to provide you with some more expert info.

There's always carboot sales, those are popping up around the County now. Depends of what you;re selling I suppose. What ARE you selling, if I may ask?

Dutchess wrote: »
    The hype around Continental Christmas Market will be bringing people into Galway who will be having a look around the city in general. As long as the Galway Market does a good job advertising itself, there should be a good enough crowd coming through.

Friends of mine have been running a stall for years, PM me with your details and I could always ask them to provide you with some more expert info.

There's always carboot sales, those are popping up around the County now. Depends of what you;re selling I suppose. What ARE you selling, if I may ask?

That would be great thanks very much. I can send you on my email address maybe? I would be looking to sell cakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Yep! Go for it! I will give them a shout then. Food always goes down well :-)

• Advertisement

Ha everybody seems to like cake anyways! That should have sent to you now Dutchess! Let me know if didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

How and when do you apply for a Christmas Stand?

I'm fairly sure it's the Galway City council that does the licences for the Christmas market too, try giving them a ring and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

fairyhouse is 200 for 4 week trial plus 50 for insurance.add 70 for the year (insurance)

Fairyhouse? What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

biko wrote: »
    Fairyhouse? What's that?

A big market in Fairyhouse racecourse.
    Think there was talk of similar in Ballybrit a few years ago.

*googles "Fairyhouse Racecourse"*

markc2951, please don't drag up old Galway threads to post about things that are on the other side of the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement