Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar Panel Problems

• 26-07-2013 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I had a set of Pro Solar vacuum tubes installed about 6 years ago. They worked fine for the first few years. 3 years ago (last good summer) I was abroad for the entire summer and my house was unoccupied. Over this period it appeared that the thermal fluid leaked/evapourated off. On my return I tried to contact the installer/supplier but they had gone out of business. The guy I got to look at the system flushed it out and set it going again. Although it was working it never seemed to be as efficient as it was previously. I had it flushed out twice more and it ran ok.
    We were away for 3 weeks this month, the hottest in yonks, and when we returned home everything seemed fine, however, last night we realised thet there was no hot water in the tank. The collectors are showing plenty of gain but its not getting to the tank. The pump is running away but I dont think that there is any circulation.
    Is there anything that I can do to check what is the problem? In addition, I'm not keen to get the guy I had previously back as I'm not too sure about his competence, and he is also not local to me. Can anyone recomend someone in east Cork to look at the system.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Air was left in the system which is caught now in the manifold & the circulating pump is not strong enough to shift it.
    The system will need to be re-purged again but properly this time. This takes approx 45 minutes of purging, longer for single stream pump stations.
    Make sure they have a proper solar pumping station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    Your system keeps overheating when the weather is very good or your away, this results in pressure building up within the system putting the fittings under pressure .
    Eventually the fibre washer breaks down causing a small leak within the system, this leak can be hard to find as its normally not much more than a large drip and evaporates fairly fast due to the heat from the piping.
    You only wasting your money if you don't get a heat dump fitted when your getting the system repaired this time,
    You need to get all the joints/fittings repaired with new washers, flush the system out and fill with new glycol, fit the heat dump or you will be back here again.
    You should also get a 1 year guarantee on the labour and a customer satisfaction guarantee from the repair company..
    Best of luck
    Cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    Can anyone recomend someone in east Cork to look at the system.
    Thanks in advance
    , My head service man is on hols in Cobh and might give it a look over nxt week( no charge)
    Pm me if that helps
    Cc

Advertisement