Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Grant

Options
  • 26-07-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I received my grant today - some maintenance but fees are not included - which I am very happy about. However, my brothers received theirs yesterday and their fees are covered; I am not certain why this would be the case. I failed an essay, which I am due to hand in before August, but passed my other examinations and assessments. I am also the oldest. Does failing the year act as a mark against me, thus leading the council to offer a lesser grant, or are there other factors of which I am unaware? I can see it as fair, but I am still curious.

Thanks for your time. All inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Did they pay your fees to the college?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

Hi mango salsa! Thanks bunches for taking the time to read my question and replying.

No, the letter says it's a "maintenance-only grant" and that "fees are not applicable to this grant". I think I let myself down here by not passing the essay and, thus, failing the year. I just thought it was a bit strange not to have the same grant as my siblings and I hadn't realised that results were a significant factor in the decision. I'll try harder this year and hope for the best.

Thanks again and take care. :)

Hi mango salsa! Thanks bunches for taking the time to read my question and replying.

No, the letter says it's a "maintenance-only grant" and that "fees are not applicable to this grant". I think I let myself down here by not passing the essay and, thus, failing the year. I just thought it was a bit strange not to have the same grant as my siblings and I hadn't realised that results were a significant factor in the decision. I'll try harder this year and hope for the best.

Thanks again and take care. :)

That really makes no sense

There is no such thing as a maintenance grant without a fee grant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's a bit weird, yeah. Essentially, it means I have to pay the up-front fees of €2,500 myself, but then I get the grant divided into three checks throughout the year to help pay the rent and for books.

:)

P.S. I hope I don't seem ungrateful; I am truly thankful as it's a load of worry off my mind. I hope I can repay my debts to the exchequer one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I thought the most basic was they just pay fees, then the next was fees + maintenance amd the maintenance increases for each bracket. Im basing this on the non SUSI system so things might be different there.

I've been told that college performance doesnt have any effect on the grant but mine went up after doing well last year with no changes in family income.

As for getting a different amount than your brothers, did you work during the previous year? I think you can make up to 3k before it is counted

• Advertisement

That's what I thought, too, and I'm not in the SUSI system either. I think performance must be a factor given what you have told me. I have worked (volunteered) a good bit for my father, and I have done some work but not enough to surpass the limit, so I'll leave that out.

College performance makes no difference at all!!!

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement