Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Lure Rod

Options
  • 26-07-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Having some trouble finding a decent heavy lure rod in around €40-€80. Looking to throw lures between 1-4 oz, anybody provide any help on this or know anywhere that I could grab one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Look for a jerk bait rod..
    You'll get on e easy for that money..
    Do you have a multiplier reel already?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Look for a jerk bait rod..
    You'll get on e easy for that money..
    Do you have a multiplier reel already?

Ye I have a couple of multipliers and jerkbait rods I use for perch, but cant seem to get a decent one online for that money. I suppose I might have to pay that bity extra.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Look at Pike and Carp rods in the 3lb. TC range. Will both whack 3oz.+ leads 100yds. +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Planet X wrote: »
    Look at Pike and Carp rods in the 3lb. TC range. Will both whack 3oz.+ leads 100yds. +

They'd be too long for lure fishing.

Planet X wrote: »

Ye they would be way too long, I would be planning on using thee rod from a boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Shakespeare Agility MPV is 10ft. You could maybe try an uptide road or something like the Lineaeffe Power Spin from here may be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

look at penn rods (i've seen selection in southsideangling for around 70e they were on sale sometime ago for around 40-50e?). They may be bit heavy but certainly are strong.
    I personally have penn spinn 2xs (3m 30-60g c.w.) Which i paid under 100e about 5-6 years ago. It isn't super sensitive rod but you are not targeting fussy perch witch heavy lures so it should not be a problem. My one casts well (i would say c.w. is around 3oz max for long casts but if you cast gently you can even use is as light deadbait rod). It is also pretty strong (it easily copes with max drag of penn slammer 260 @ around 12-14lbs - you have to use both arms to hold it @ this stage). They are stronger versions available (overseas spin).
    I would stay clear of new ugly sticks (one with blue braid ornament - they are way too slow for me - watch out if you want to give it a good swing - you may hit your own back...).
    If you prefer something shorter (for boat/jerking) i would go for abugarcia diamond crest boat 2.4m 60-120g (i used my one for variety of purposes from pike trolling/sea boat fishing and it even coped with few cats from Ebro - all @ 35e!! and it works ok with spinning reel and even better with multiplier.
    Ps i bought some time ago greys platinum jerkbait rod (c.w. is said to be 150g one piece very stiff) i may be willing to part with it for around 40e as I rarely go as heavy. It never been used but i needed to remove some material from reel seat as my abu revo toro 61 didn't fit it

MarcinG wrote: »
    look at penn rods (i've seen selection in southsideangling for around 70e they were on sale sometime ago for around 40-50e?). They may be bit heavy but certainly are strong.
    I personally have penn spinn 2xs (3m 30-60g c.w.) Which i paid under 100e about 5-6 years ago. It isn't super sensitive rod but you are not targeting fussy perch witch heavy lures so it should not be a problem. My one casts well (i would say c.w. is around 3oz max for long casts but if you cast gently you can even use is as light deadbait rod). It is also pretty strong (it easily copes with max drag of penn slammer 260 @ around 12-14lbs - you have to use both arms to hold it @ this stage). They are stronger versions available (overseas spin).
    I would stay clear of new ugly sticks (one with blue braid ornament - they are way too slow for me - watch out if you want to give it a good swing - you may hit your own back...).
    If you prefer something shorter (for boat/jerking) i would go for abugarcia diamond crest boat 2.4m 60-120g (i used my one for variety of purposes from pike trolling/sea boat fishing and it even coped with few cats from Ebro - all @ 35e!! and it works ok with spinning reel and even better with multiplier.
    Ps i bought some time ago greys platinum jerkbait rod (c.w. is said to be 150g one piece very stiff) i may be willing to part with it for around 40e as I rarely go as heavy. It never been used but i needed to remove some material from reel seat as my abu revo toro 61 didn't fit it

pm there mate.

Advertisement