Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an appetite for a South Eastern Greenway (Rosslare/Waterford Rail Line)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Those velorails/ railbikes are resoundingly popular over in France.

Would be great to see such a scheme here (on a line that is disconnected from the railway network).

Wonder could such a scheme work on a line such as New Ross - Waterford (just a thought).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Those velorails/ railbikes are resoundingly popular over in France.

Would be great to see such a scheme here (on a line that is disconnected from the railway network).

Wonder could such a scheme work on a line such as New Ross - Waterford (just a thought).

I couldn't agree more but the insurance implications in Ireland would be insane - rest assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

A pity that insurance would preclude it; pedalling along the rails of an abandoned line would be considerably more interesting than walking/ cycling along a dismantled alignment/ beside a disused line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I couldn't agree more but the insurance implications in Ireland would be insane - rest assured.

Would they though? Wonder has anyone ever investigated it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

As far as I know in France, individuals take responsibility for their own personal accident insurance. So if you have an accident, you claim from your policy and accept any knock on effects on premiums. That may be an over simplification but it's quite different from insurance culture in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I see the councils are pursuing this http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0706/712964-wexford-greenway/
    How can we ever improve our railway infrastructure and develop it when all the councils and indeed IE see much of the network as land banks and for other uses other than for rail lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

petronius wrote: »
    I see the councils are pursuing this http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0706/712964-wexford-greenway/
    How can we ever improve our railway infrastructure and develop it when all the councils and indeed IE see much of the network as land banks and for other uses other than for rail lines..

Its not the Rosslare/Waterford line its the line coming from Mackmine Junction to new ross

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its not the Rosslare/Waterford line its the line coming from Mackmine Junction to new ross

Don't worry it will soon be time to convert Rosslare Strand/Waterford and then Waterford/Limerick Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Don't worry it will soon be time to convert Rosslare Strand/Waterford and then Waterford/Limerick Junction.

If the route is preserved and it provides more economic activity than an underused rail line then go for it -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sorry for hijacking the thread folks, but is the new ross/waterford line passable on foot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

What type of cycling do these greenways attract? Are we talking the cycle clubs with a bunch of 10 or so or just the random lone/tourist cyclist?

Mashie wrote: »
    What type of cycling do these greenways attract? Are we talking the cycle clubs with a bunch of 10 or so or just the random lone/tourist cyclist?

generally leisure cyclists, so generally, no clubs. clubs have not been showing interest in these greenways. not their thing as there probably will be very slow sections to allow for foot passengers to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    generally leisure cyclists, so generally, no clubs. clubs have not been showing interest in these greenways. not their thing as there probably will be very slow sections to allow for foot passengers to pass

Yeah-Was thinking that. Still though these are attractive to the mountain bike type like meself. We seem to always look at these infrastructure investments from a monetary point of view and don't seem to look at that the other benefits eg health and wellbeing of population etc

Mashie wrote: »
    Yeah-Was thinking that. Still though these are attractive to the mountain bike type like meself. We seem to always look at these infrastructure investments from a monetary point of view and don't seem to look at that the other benefits eg health and wellbeing of population etc

its a good point alright. theres a bit of a buzz around waterford in regards the deise greenway, so id say it ll be a success. ive just completed walking the whole deise greenway so looking for my next adventure. the greenways tend to be tarmaced, so suitable for all cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    sorry for hijacking the thread folks, but is the new ross/waterford line passable on foot?

I don't believe so. Not easily anyway.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I don't believe so. Not easily anyway.

thank you. sounds like the walk for me then

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Hi wandering if you managed to walk the route from Rosslare to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I had seen that this had went to planning process in KK Co Co but never heard whether it was given planning or refused. Anyone know what happened. Would be great to connect it to Waterford Greenway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A regional Greenway office manned by up to three people is being opened in New Ross as New Ross and Piltown councils prepare to progress the initiative.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/greenway-office-to-open-in-new-ross-35743039.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

With regard to the Waterford to Rosslare railway,I've heard the opening span of the Barrow Bridge is being decommissioned in the next year or two.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    With regard to the Waterford to Rosslare railway,I've heard the opening span of the Barrow Bridge is being decommissioned in the next year or two.

Can't see how this will be allowed as the NTA agreement with CIE is for the line to be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

presumably Irish Rail will just say we need €X million to overhaul the bridge, which won't be forthcoming as the line is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Having rode part of the Waterford Green way and seen the large amount of users and facilities busy with tourist and locals alike . I think Wexford are being extremely short sighted in not getting on this potential Train of tourism n profitability.

Waterford can be proud of what they have achieved there with the Green Way.

Having rode part of the Waterford Green way and seen the large amount of users and facilities busy with tourist and locals alike . I think Wexford are being extremely short sighted in not getting on this potential Train of tourism n profitability.

Waterford can be proud of what they have achieved there with the Green Way.

No thanks, we'll keep our closed railway in situ in case sanity returns to Goverment and CIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

No thanks, we'll keep our closed railway in situ in case sanity returns to Goverment and CIE.

Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Who's this "we", since when is someone from Enniscorthy a spokesperson for Southern Wexford?
    It was sanity that closed the line in the first place.
    One round trip a day, each train carrying 25 passengers on average.
    It's just not viable and the New Ross bypass opening will get rid of the only possible reason for bringing it back.

I've yet to talk to anyone who lives near that line talking about wanting it re-opened.
    But plenty of them have visited or are planning to visit the Deise greenway.
    Local businesses want customers, a greenway can deliver them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Who's this "we", since when is someone from Enniscorthy a spokesperson for Southern Wexford?
    It's just not viable and the New Ross bypass opening will get rid of the only possible reason for bringing it back.

I've yet to talk to anyone who lives near that line talking about wanting it re-opened.

plus cie proved decades ago that moving goods by rail in a small country like ours is not viable . goods used to be transported to wexford by rail , deliveries always took days , were usually late and damaged plus deliveries were usually short due to theft and loss . The old good depot can be seen between the station and bridge in wexford

plus cie proved decades ago that moving goods by rail in a small country like ours is not viable . goods used to be transported to wexford by rail , deliveries always took days , were usually late and damaged plus deliveries were usually short due to theft and loss . The old good depot can be seen between the station and bridge in wexford

Whose talking about moving goods by rail? How's the fact that you can see the old 'good' depot at Wexford in anyway relevant to this topic. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I used we in jest as the post that I replied to addressed the people in Wexford rather than an individual - nitpicking by you I suggest. I was a former user of the lRosslare Strand/Waterford route and would have used it more regularly if the service had been provided. The service was woeful and it's a wonder anybody used it but it does not follow that because CIE can't run a piss-up in a brewery that railways are de facto bad.

Forgetting all other arguments - with Brexit rapidly approaching plus Ireland's need to reduce its carbon emissions, or face massive fines, only an idiot would suggest removing a railway line to the port for Europe and replacing it with a cycle track.

Advertisement