Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incompetent Estate Agent

Options
  • 26-07-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

We got the keys to our house last week through our solicitor. We called the office to collect the set of keys from the estate agent but they couldn't release them as the solicitor from the other side hadn't contacted them yet. We left our details and asked to be called when the keys were ready for collection. So we were busy last week moving and didn't receive any calls from the estate agent. I called last Monday to collect the keys on the way home from work, and they said they were in the office and ready for collection.

A half an hour later i got a call back saying that they had POSTED our keys out in the post to our new house!!!! They had done this on the previous Friday. We were so annoyed. When i explained this they said that "you should really change the locks on your house anyway"!!!! I said that we were in the process of doing that but it was no excuse for what they had done! I said that i'd be putting my complaint in writing.

The estate agent that we dealt with had been so flakey during the entire process, not returning calls, not getting back to us with additional info etc and now she's all over us! Getting phone calls and got a text at 10.15pm last profusely apologising for the error! Hopefully we'll never deal with them again.

As for their sign, it's still in the garden two weeks later, it's getting destroyed tonight if it's still there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sandy_c wrote: »
    We got the keys to our house last week through our solicitor. We called the office to collect the set of keys from the estate agent but they couldn't release them as the solicitor from the other side hadn't contacted them yet. We left our details and asked to be called when the keys were ready for collection. So we were busy last week moving and didn't receive any calls from the estate agent. I called last Monday to collect the keys on the way home from work, and they said they were in the office and ready for collection.

A half an hour later i got a call back saying that they had POSTED our keys out in the post to our new house!!!! They had done this on the previous Friday. We were so annoyed. When i explained this they said that "you should really change the locks on your house anyway"!!!! I said that we were in the process of doing that but it was no excuse for what they had done! I said that i'd be putting my complaint in writing.

The estate agent that we dealt with had been so flakey during the entire process, not returning calls, not getting back to us with additional info etc and now she's all over us! Getting phone calls and got a text at 10.15pm last profusely apologising for the error! Hopefully we'll never deal with them again.

As for their sign, it's still in the garden two weeks later, it's getting destroyed tonight if it's still there.
    Add the sign being there still to your complaint and make it officialy to the body that regulates or is responsible for estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I'd also let the people who you bought the house from about the poor level of service by the auctioneer, given they will most likely be handing them over a sizeable cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Seems like a minor thing to be so annoyed about. I'd just let it go and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Seems like a minor thing to be so annoyed about. I'd just let it go and move on
    The OP states that this is just one of many incidents of incompetence during the sale. It's remarkable that we tolerate such unprofessional, lazy behaviour from estate agents in Ireland, given the substantial amounts of money involved in property transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Add the sign being there still to your complaint and make it officialy to the body that regulates or is responsible for estate agents.
    Doubt there is one. Do not deface the sign; just throw it into a nearby skip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

OP,
    I'm not sure how regular posters in this forum have not heard of the Property Services Regulatory Authority but if you wish to pursue a complaint through a regulator, whatever about its merits or the liklihood of a satisfactory outcome, that's who you go to. If the Estate Agent is a member of IAVI or IPAV then you can complain to those bodies too for what its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

the_syco wrote: »
    Doubt there is one. Do not deface the sign; just throw it into a nearby skip.

Nearby skip? Like, one someone else is paying for?

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pwurple wrote: »
    Nearby skip? Like, one someone else is paying for?

Nice.
    Hrm. Throw the sign on the road, and report it to the litter warden then?

Advertisement