Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you start racing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Thanks everyone for the advice - think I'll take the plunge!

I'll be purchasing a new bike in the next few weeks/months, and had been hoping to get a Compact 50/34 groupset but with 22 gears (such as the SRAM force 22), but if I'm going to be racing, would I be better off going with a standard double as opposed to a compact?

I've been racing on a compact since the start of this season and haven't had any issues with it, even managed to get a couple of results. The only thing I did in my groupset build to give me the equivalent highest gear to a standard double was to fit an 11-28 cassette, found this to be a bit gappy in a few races, 11-25 next time. In most races, you won't be using the inner ring, and in those few races where you may need to use it, it'll only be for no more than a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Thanks everyone for the advice - think I'll take the plunge!

I'll be purchasing a new bike in the next few weeks/months, and had been hoping to get a Compact 50/34 groupset but with 22 gears (such as the SRAM force 22), but if I'm going to be racing, would I be better off going with a standard double as opposed to a compact?

I'd go 53-39. You'll need the big 53-tooth ring when it's lined out with a tailwind behind you more than you'll need the small ring to get up climbs. Most drags you'll take in the big ring. I hopped down to the small ring for a couple of minutes in Wexford recently, and it may have been the only time I did it all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Cadence is king. I used a 50/39 x 11-25 all year racing and I had no problems at all, just spin faster. I have been tempted to move to a double but am reminded by a few people that I had no problems so far so why change (I did have problems, but they weren't related to gearing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Originally had a compact but switched to standard before I started racing (and I wouldn't go back)...if you were planning on using the compact I'd advise a 11-23 cassette. Once you get training and eventually strong enough to race you will have no need for 34x28 or 34x25. As mentioned above racing in Ireland is generally a big ring affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A standard double is not necessary but is preferable. You can win in A4 without one.

If you have to rely on the compact in a race you will be dropped. But if you can spin out a 50x11 on a flat road in a bunch sprint you should probably be ringing up David Brailsford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

If you have to rely on the compact in a race you will be dropped. .
    I'm going to be dropped anyway!
    So by the sounds of it a standard is the obvious choice, but maybe a bit more thought in to what I need for the rear cassette?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

I've been riding (properly) for about 18 months or so now, and would rack up approx. 500km a month (more some months) and have relitively no problems with long distances - for example would regularly do 100 - 120km rides, usually at a pace of 26-28kmph (can push faster on shorter rides).

I'd take part in quite a few sportive events, but as the 'next step' to take me forwards, was looking at races, but I know nothing about them - what the average pace would be, average distances, whether I'd even be able to keep up etc.

I'm just wondering what made people 'take the plunge' and start racing? Would I be way out of my depth?

Cheers

OP,

You might want to increase the weekly mileage to compete at A4 level. 500 per month might not be enough. I was told you really need to be getting 200km a week minimum into your legs a week

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

its not about how many kms you get into the legs per month/week,
    its the type/standard training you do,
    threshold,interval training etc are key when you are racing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

If you're worried about the gearing then just go with the compact. There's certainly no requirement to be on a 53/39 to race. But get a nice tight cassette - I'd go (and did go) with an 11-23 when I was on compacts.

I've long since changed to 53/39 11speed with an 11-25. The one thing with the compact is that the 34 is practically redundant. If you're in the 34, you've probably been dropped. So you're limiting yourself to racing on 10 gears. On the other hand you can actually use the 39 on occasions.

Racing is only a small part of the year for a lot of people and you have to use the bike year round. Go compact. You can always change it later.

Plastik wrote: »
    If you're worried about the gearing then just go with the compact. There's certainly no requirement to be on a 53/39 to race. But get a nice tight cassette - I'd go (and did go) with an 11-23 when I was on compacts.

I've long since changed to 53/39 11speed with an 11-25. The one thing with the compact is that the 34 is practically redundant. If you're in the 34, you've probably been dropped. So you're limiting yourself to racing on 10 gears. On the other hand you can actually use the 39 on occasions.

Racing is only a small part of the year for a lot of people and you have to use the bike year round. Go compact. You can always change it later.

Not to be contrary, but I used the 34 to good effect in a few races with longer drags in A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Not to be contrary, but I used the 34 to good effect in a few races with longer drags in A4.

Contrary git...

50-11 is bigger than 53-12. I raced with a compact and 11-23 on one bike and a double with 11-25 on the other. I never ran out of gears on either. The 34 didn't see much use. But neither did the 53-11.

In summary, get an 11-23 and go race.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, would a compact with 22 gears change anything? I'm guessing not as it would still be 11x23 or 25 at the back, but assume it just gives less 'gaps' in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Stephen Roche, Sean Kelly and the belief that I was going to be as good as them... Never materialised, 35 now and still hold on to the dream....LOL

A few questions,

you already own a training bike, yes?

What bike is it?

Does it have a compact or a triple on it?

You will be keeping your training bike when you buy this new bike?

A few questions,

you already own a training bike, yes?

What bike is it?

Does it have a compact or a triple on it?

You will be keeping your training bike when you buy this new bike?
    'Training' bike - well, it's just my bike! Not a very good one at that - Kross, Tiagra groupset - standard double. Will be getting rid once I get my new one (probably a Canyon)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

To throw a spanner into the compact / standard debate, I use a 52/36 on a 110 bcd. Find it's ideal for most conditions. Used it in the marmotte and in A2/3 races. The chances of running out of gears with a 52x11 are rare unless you are on a downhill section of a time trial with a tailwind!! Most riders (there are exceptions) rarely use the small ring in irish road races.

'Training' bike - well, it's just my bike! Not a very good one at that - Kross, Tiagra groupset - standard double. Will be getting rid once I get my new one (probably a Canyon)

Oh right I was gonna suggest, keeping the training bike and sticking a cheap compact on it. And then getting the racing bike with a standard double.

But if you only want one bike I'd go for a compact, unless you are a pretty good climber.

Conundrum's like these are why we all end up with multiple bikes.

Cheers- just gets more expensive by the day!
    Suppose I'm going to have to decide asap, but compacts seem to be becoming more and more common I'm noticing, especially looking at the 2014 bikes.
    As I like to do a lot of sportives etc too, I think the compact makes more overall sense.
    I've never changed a rear cassette before, but assume it's easy enough to do? Am thinking of going with the Compact + the 11-25 on everyone's advice

I've never changed a rear cassette before, but assume it's easy enough to do?
    It's an easy enough job but you need a cassette removal tool and a chain whip. More money.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

You should probably get yourself a basic tool kit that will allow you to complete most tasks yourself, like changing a cassette. You don't need to get a ridiculously expensive one, something like this should cover the bases; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/x-tools-bike-tool-kit-18-piece/rp-prod40997

• Advertisement

If your buying the bike new ask them for an 11-25 when you order it. As you do a lot of sportives I'd go 11-27. The gaps in the block won't be too troublesome and the lower gear will come in handy on the harder longer climbs.

GoTilUBlow wrote: »
    If your buying the bike new ask them for an 11-25 when you order it. As you do a lot of sportives I'd go 11-27. The gaps in the block won't be too troublesome and the lower gear will come in handy on the harder longer climbs.
    The one I'm looking at has 11-28 as standard, and despite being far from a great climber, I can't help but think this may be too much?

I used a 36/28 in the alps. So 34/28 will get you over anything. Easiest thing to do there is use the standard issue block and if it doesn't work out, then change it. Why create a problem where there may not even be one. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The one I'm looking at has 11-28 as standard, and despite being far from a great climber, I can't help but think this may be too much?

Absolutely, I said it earlier in the thread, if you're going to be strong enough to race, you will be strong enough to push 39x25 up pretty much anything in this country.

Did I read earlier you currently have a standard? So if this is what you are used to why would you be going compact when you plan on improving and getting stronger?

Simple answer to this conundrum really is
    Compact (if you must) with 11-23 cassette
    Standard with 11-25 or 12-25

When you put it like that, makes sense. Thanks for all the input folks

ericzeking wrote: »
    Absolutely, I said it earlier in the thread, if you're going to be strong enough to race, you will be strong enough to push 39x25 up pretty much anything in this country.

Hmmm I dunno about that. There's enjoyable pushing and horrible vomit inducing pushing. I need a 39x27 to make a long spin in the mountains enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

What kind of pace would they be at? Are there 'beginners' races so to speak?

we run a novice / tourer race as part of our league, followed by the a4 race, followed by the a3 ect

Tourers / novicce who then develop into open a4 racing, who then develop into a 3 etc

Hmmm I dunno about that. There's enjoyable pushing and horrible vomit inducing pushing. I need a 39x27 to make a long spin in the mountains enjoyable.

I'll second that, but 34x? instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'll second that, but 34x? instead.

34x36 of course.

Actually, I use a 30x32 on a triple instead. That'd do nicely for racing: 52/39/30 gets you your double for racing plus a nice handy gear for cruising around the Wicklow hills...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Actually, I use a 30x32 on a triple instead. That'd do nicely for racing:

Ma, get the torches. There's gonna be a lynchin'

;)

Advertisement