Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocks in Kitchen

Options
  • 26-07-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey folks,

Wondering if any electricians out there can gimme some advice. Occasionally get little shocks from metal objects in my kitchen like the toaster, inside of the dishwasher, kitchen taps etc. Only happens in the kitchen, nowhere else in the house it seems and it'll happen randomly a few times every week.

Brought in an electrician (who wasn't the brightest spark - excuse the pun) last year to take a look and he said it was likely that the house wasn't earthed properly and charged me a fortune to run cable/pipe out to a rod in the back garden. It hasn't made the blindest bit of difference.

Can anyone perhaps shed any light on what the problem might be? Any information much appreciated. Cheers.

Dara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Possibly a broken or poorly terminated earth in a kitchen socket circuit. Socket circuit earths are usually used to earth kitchen sinks too.

It needs to be looked at by a registered contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dararyder

Thank you mate. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

could well be just a built up of static which depends on type of floor and footwear, so by touching earth you are just discharging your built up charge.would i be rite in saying the more you walk around in the room the bigger the shock and once you get a shock if you touch metal again you wont get a shock until you walk around again?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

meath4sam wrote: »
    could well be just a built up of static which depends on type of floor and footwear, so by touching earth you are just discharging your built up charge.would i be rite in saying the more you walk around in the room the bigger the shock and once you get a shock if you touch metal again you wont get a shock until you walk around again?

That's a good point, it's likely the shock is caused by static travelling from the body into the earth circuit via the appliance which means that the appliance probably is earthed properly.

OP, when this happens in an office environment, it's usually blamed on carpets made from synthetic fabrics which act as insulators, they cause static to build up on people's bodies so the next time they touch a computer terminal, radiator or the like, they get a shock. It also happens a lot in offices because air conditioning reduces the amount of moisture in the air so there is no way for static electricity to drain away, either into the air from the skin (because the air is too dry) or into the floor because of the insulation qualities of the synthetic carpet.

The air in a kitchen wouldn't typically be dry if you have a pot on the hob or if someone has run a tap recently but maybe if there is no activity and someone walks in and touches an appliance, it could happen that they get a shock.

The solution is non-technical: install a few potted plants and water them frequently to increase the amount of moisture in the air, this will allow the static to dissipate harmlessly through the air. Hobnail boots may also help but I think your kitchen floor might suffer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

superg wrote: »
    Possibly a broken or poorly terminated earth in a kitchen socket circuit. Socket circuit earths are usually used to earth kitchen sinks too.

op
    this is the most relevant reply.........imho

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    op
    this is the most relevant reply.........imho

How would you get a shock from a loose or broken earth earth occasionally. If there is a loose earth or broken earth there still should be 0volts on it,I my be wrong as I'm no expert on the theory side of things. It really sounds like static to me have you had a new floor installed since it started or maybe knew shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

How would you get a shock from a loose or broken earth earth occasionally. If there is a loose earth or broken earth there still should be 0volts on it,I my be wrong as I'm no expert on the theory side of things. It really sounds like static to me have you had a new floor installed since it started or maybe knew shoes.

As you say you are no expert!

OP please get a competent guy to check it out.

You need to make sure everything in the kitchen is correctly earthed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Because the loose earth is coming into contact with one of the live conductors and as a result anything connected to that earth will now be live. And depending on where the earth is broke it may not trip out.

OP get someone out straight away if i were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Inbox wrote: »
    Because the loose earth is coming into contact with one of the live conductors and as a result anything connected to that earth will now be live. And depending on where the earth is broke it may not trip out.

While I agree it should be checked immediately, if the live touched the earth and you touched a metal appliance you'd be dead wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It would be unusual for a loose earth to come into contact with a live terminal.

Usually problems caused by and showing as voltage on metalwork because of a bad earthing setup, are caused by the bad earth in combination with items having earth faults as well.

Meath4sam actually had a point. A disconnected earth on its own wont usually cause voltage to appear on items. If it did, then any items plugged in with properly earthed frames etc would be tripping RCDs all the time.

It is still worth checking by someone competent, as using a voltmeter is probably still legal for qualified lads:pac:

• Advertisement

I agree get someone to look at it but if it was the above u wouldn't be getting a occasional little shock. You would know all about it and not touch anything in the kitchen again. I'm pretty sure it's static as i have come across it before,but should be checked out.

I agree get someone to look at it but if it was the above u wouldn't be getting a occasional little shock. You would know all about it and not touch anything in the kitchen again. I'm pretty sure it's static as i have come across it before,but should be checked out.

If the kitchen sink was live, you may not actually get any shock off it at all if wearing runners/shoes, or even dry socks, contrary to what 99% of the worlds population would believe.

Now if something else earthed was nearby, and both sink and earthed item are touched, then its a fair whack alright.

Static is always a possibility. If there is a little crack off it, or if the shock happens and then doesnt if contact is re-made immediately, then static is the likely culprit.

Bruthal wrote: »
    if the shock happens and then doesnt if contact is re-made immediately, then static is the likely culprit.

Correct, if the shock effect doesn't repeat the instant you make contact for a second time then it's not live electricity, it's static.

If the shocks only happen in the kitchen and nowhere else in the house then it's hardly a loose connection between the live and earth circuits because you'd be getting shocks off the taps in the bathroom and from other appliances around the house. It sounds like static localised in the kitchen because of the characteristics of the floor.

Thanks for your reply mate. It seems I can keep getting shocked without walking around. Try to take clothes out of washing machine last night and kept repeatedly getting shocked. Had to take clothes out with a plastic kitchen tongs :). Its a ceramic tiled floor.

Really appreciate the feedback all!

dararyder wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply mate. It seems I can keep getting shocked without walking around. Try to take clothes out of washing machine last night and kept repeatedly getting shocked. Had to take clothes out with a plastic kitchen tongs :). Its a ceramic tiled floor.

Will need to get it looked at anyway. Sounds like a possible earth fault/bad earthing alright.

Is there a properly working RCD on the socket circuits of the house?

Do you have a voltmeter?

If you keep getting shocked then there is a serious problem, you can't get shocked twice in that short space of time from static because it takes time for static to build up on the body.

The washing machine is earthed through the plug and will draw static electricity from your body but that would only be a one-off experience when taking out the washing. If you get repeated shocks then it's not static, it's something far more sinister, get it checked by a pro ASAP and don't let anyone with bare feet go near any of those appliances in the kitchen.

coylemj wrote: »
    That's a good point, it's likely the shock is caused by static travelling from the body into the earth circuit via the appliance which means that the appliance probably is earthed properly.

The air in a kitchen wouldn't typically be dry if you have a pot on the hob or if someone has run a tap recently but maybe if there is no activity and someone walks in and touches an appliance, it could happen that they get a shock.

The solution is non-technical: install a few potted plants and water them frequently to increase the amount of moisture in the air, this will allow the static to dissipate harmlessly through the air. Hobnail boots may also help but I think your kitchen floor might suffer!
    coylemj wrote: »
    If you keep getting shocked then there is a serious problem, you can't get shocked twice in that short space of time from static because it takes time for static to build up on the body.

The washing machine is earthed through the plug and will draw static electricity from your body but that would only be a one-off experience when taking out the washing. If you get repeated shocks then it's not static, it's something far more sinister, get it checked by a pro ASAP and don't let anyone with bare feet go near any of those appliances in the kitchen.

Good to see you have changed your opinion, hopefully the OP didn't spend too much on the potted plants. :rolleyes:

Bruthal wrote: »
    Will need to get it looked at anyway. Sounds like a possible earth fault/bad earthing alright.

Is there a properly working RCD on the socket circuits of the house?

Cheers for the reply mate. To be honest have no idea what an RCD is so your post and posts of all the other kind souls who've answered this thread all point to one thing - i need to get another pro out and this time need to make sure he's on the ball unlike the last chancer.

Thanks to all who helped. Really appreciate it. What a fantastic place the internet can be when it's used by decent souls. Cheers.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Unfortunately not mate but i'll definitely get a spark out to look at it again this week. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Good to see you have changed your opinion, hopefully the OP didn't spend too much on the potted plants. :rolleyes:

Don't blame me for trying, this is how the OP originally described the problem....
    Only happens in the kitchen, nowhere else in the house it seems and it'll happen randomly a few times every week.

Then he tells us that he gets repeated shocks while taking wet clothes out of the washing machine which is describing a completely different problem.

Random shocks from earthed appliances is a sign of static electricity, repeated shocks is a sign of an appliance that's live and dangerous.

Unfortunately not mate but i'll definitely get a spark out to look at it again this week. Cheers.

If you can, unplug the washing machine at the very least, and anything else you can avoid using, something in your kitchen is dangerous. If you can't access the plug without pulling out the machine turn off the power at the main board first, don't pull out the machine with the power still on it.

Also try to avoid grabbing anything metal, touch the back of your hand against it first, that way if you get a shock you will be thrown away, instead of grabbing on tighter!

Are your sockets protected by an RCD?

If not you should really consider getting your board upgraded.

Also ask your electrician to check if the equipotential bonding is ok, especially in your kitchen, if he finds problems there it could also be a good idea to check the bathroom and heating systems etc.

The new earth rod etc was probably needed anyway.

I learnt a long time ago not to assume static was causing shocks without eliminating all the alternatives first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Maybe not neutralised and a poorly installed earth rod

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭mikeoneill893

kramer1 wrote: »
    Maybe not neutralised and a poorly installed earth rod

was a common enough problem

fuses and direct earthing on old installations-go figure:cool:

maybe it's just a problem with a local circuit here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That is really serious!

Stop using appliances and turn off the mains at the fusebox main switch and get an electrician!

The next shock could be fatal!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That is really serious!

Stop using appliances and turn off the mains at the fusebox main switch and get an electrician!

The next shock could be fatal!

Why,,, is he barely surviving these "shocks"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

superg wrote: »

Surely if this place was wired anywhere in the last 20+ years and has an RCD ??

If so any current leakage would trip that...

How old is the house ? Does it have an RCD in the socket circuit ? Is so test it.. (press the button that says test and all your sockets should be dead)..

The fact that you are getting a shock off the sink as will as appliances would lead to to believe that wither you have have a big problem or its static..

Get it looked at...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

knipex wrote: »

No, not any current. Only a current >30mA should cause the RCD to operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

knipex wrote: »

How old is the house ? Does it have an RCD in the socket circuit ? Is so test it.. (press the button that says test and all your sockets should be dead)..

The fact that you are getting a shock off the sink as will as appliances would lead to to believe that wither you have have a big problem or its static..

Get it looked at...

It could be coming from anywhere. Lightning and cooker circuits are not RCD protected and a lot of houses predate the requirement to have them on socket circuits.

If it's an earthing or neutral fault it won't necessarily trip anything yet your metal surfaces could be live.

If you happen to touch the wrong surfaces and get a current through your chest you may get electrocuted.

This is a very serious fault and should be dealt with asap. In the mean time you shouldn't be using the installation as it is clearly in a dangerous state.

It's not something you can just treat as an annoyance.

Your getting multiple shocks from the washing machine which to me would indicate the earth's live.

What you're describing doesn't sound like static

Until it's sorted out don't use the installation and especially don't shower !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

2011 wrote: »
    No, not any current. Only a current >30mA should cause the RCD to operate.

True..

Advertisement