Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocks in Kitchen

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭mikeoneill893

knipex wrote: »
    True..

16mA or above can trip them

the no-trip test is at 15mA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

2011 wrote: »
    No, not any current. Only a current >30mA should cause the RCD to operate.

Anything over 15ma can trip them.
    They trip at between .5 and 1 times their rated current don't they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

eggy81 wrote: »
    Anything over 15ma can trip them.
    They trip at between .5 and 1 times their rated current don't they?

Cheap ones do. Quality ones do what it says on the box - 30mA :)

If you have RCDS with 16mA trip level then anything with a switch mode power supply will drive them nuts. Phone chargers, laptops, any modern electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Steve wrote: »
    Cheap ones do. Quality ones do what it says on the box - 30mA :)

If you have RCDS with 16mA trip level then anything with a switch mode power supply will drive them nuts. Phone chargers, laptops, any modern electronics.

I thought they were supposed to trip at between .5 and 1 times their current.
    This sheds some light on a problematic rcd I've been dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They trip between 15 and about 22mA.

• Advertisement

"A Hager 30mA RCD will not trip at 15mA but will trip at a point above 15mA and below 30mA"

http://www.hagerelectro.com.au/downloads-services-support/faq/84.htm

i've never done any ramp testing so i'm not familiar

maybe steve is right and they're calibrated for 30mA

why the fubar should rcd's be tripping anywhere between 16-30 out of the box and not 30mA

it's gonna create a lot more potential for nuisance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

i've never done any ramp testing so i'm not familiar

maybe steve is right and they're calibrated for 30mA

why the fubar should rcd's be tripping anywhere between 16-30 out of the box and not 30mA

it's gonna create a lot more potential for nuisance

Not if 16 to 30 was always the average. Increased nuisance would only be noticeable if the average trip level did actually reduce compared to before.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Not if 16 to 30 was always the average. Increased nuisance would only be noticeable if the average trip level did actually reduce compared to before.

so the no trip test is 15mA......

the trip test is at 30mA...........

therefore rcds must trip at a point between 16 and 30mA

(copyright einstein)

(copyright einstein)
    Yea but unless we know the average of all RCDs in the country, it would be hard to say that finding out they trip at 20 for example, would mean more nuisance tripping than is usually seen.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea but unless we know the average of all RCDs in the country, it would be hard to say that finding out they trip at 20 for example, would mean more nuisance tripping than is usually seen.
    ya i wasn't implying that

i just meant less potential nuisance at 29 than 19 for example

ya i wasn't implying that

i just meant less potential nuisance at 29 than 19 for example

Yea that's true alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No, the trip test is 30mA. That's what the regulations / standards say.
    There is no defined 'no-trip' test, it varies my manufacturer.

Also bear in mind that not all milliAmps are the same, it depends on the waveform of the imblance. A human being electrocuted, in theory, will produce a nice sinusoidal imbalance that is easy to work with. Other devices can create lesser RMS imbalances but with higher peaks that exceed the thresholds and this is where nuisance trips arise.

If you really want to know the science of it, have a read of this.

As I said earlier, better quality units are more tolerant because - and I'm guessing here - it's probably easier and cheaper to manufacture a device that trips *somewhere* between 16 and 30 mA than it is to manufacture a device that trips between 28 and 30mA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Are the pipes bonded to Earth...? Or maybe not tightened down enough, this may cause a poor earthing in the house.
    Your electrician should have done an earth continuity test...it would have shown up any earthing problems.

No, the trip test is 30mA. That's what the regulations / standards say.
    There is no defined 'no-trip' test, it varies my manufacturer.

yes trip test is 30mA....according to regulations

no-trip test is conducted at 15mA is it not?

it doesn't vary does it?

no-trip test is conducted at 15mA is it not?

it doesn't vary does it?

I don't know, I don't actually do much RCD testing so I'll take your word for it.

This tech note seems to suggest 62% of trip level as an acceptable no-trip test - in this case it would be 18.6mA for a 30mA RCD. Again, I'm not an expert on no-trip testing. :)

neither do i

but no-trip test is always 50% of rated trip current-it doesn't vary

manufacturers tolerances do

as you say the better quality rcds may be closer to 30mA trip on a ramp test

Anyways... better get back on topic. :D

The only real way to sort the OP's issue is to do a proper earth loop impedance test on all exposed metalwork back to the incomer.

It could be a broken neutral touching metal somewhere - it would explain the mild shocks as it would create a potential on exposed parts as it used the earthing system as a return to the neutralising link at the meter.

prob the first thing you'd do alright

loop impedance testing

can't be much to it

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

My first thought was to agree that it seems like static charge. Mildly but of no danger. I am still inclined to think it is this.

I do not know if anyone else has suggested that you ensure your RCD (device to protect people if they touch a live part) - assuming you do have an RCD at your electrical Distribution Board.

But there could be something else happening.

Is there any time pattern to these occurences , have you noticed?

• Advertisement

It could be a broken neutral touching metal somewhere - it would explain the mild shocks as it would create a potential on exposed parts as it used the earthing system as a return to the neutralising link at the meter.

If it was a broken neutral touching metal somewhere, that would be unlikely to cause any shocks, unless the earth on the metalic item was very poor. If it was poor, the item with the broken neutral touching it, would not be working properly.

Even the full 230v direct might only cause mild shocks, if perceived at all, unless an earth or neutral point was also in contact with the person.

An actual loop impedance test of all the sockets in the house might show a problem before even looking at exposed metal. If for example a shock is being perceived from the washing machine, then there is an earthing problem at its socket and likely other sockets (or machine itself) . A group of sockets with no connection to the earth bar for example, but all linked to each other, would all have a shared problem if an earth fault was on one appliance plugged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Is the op still alive? What was the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

It could also be a bad neutral before the neutralising link at the cutout (assuming TN-C-S), which would allow both earth and neutral within the installation to "float".

It could also be a bad neutral before the neutralising link at the cutout (assuming TN-C-S), which would allow both earth and neutral within the installation to "float".

When/if that happens, items in the house wont be working properly and would be clearly not right, apart from if only very low wattage items are on.

Advertisement