Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino de Santiago- French Way.

Options
  • 26-07-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am looking to walk the French Way (just section from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Pamplona) this September. Does anyone have any recommendations for touring companies?

Is the route difficult/scenic? How much of the route is on public roads?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Tour company not really necessary. If you want its possible to organise a baggage transfer each day, there are ads up in the albergues. This service is free in some cases, although you will then have to stay in the organising albergue that night.
    St. Jean to Pamplona is usually 3 days walk. Day 1 crosses the Pyrenees so theres a fair bit of climbing, mostly on quiet roads. Days 2 and 3 are mostly off road (although on good trails) except the last section into Pamplona.
    Altogether a great mixture of terrain and scenery, you'll definitely want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

I am looking to walk the French Way (just section from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Pamplona) this September. Does anyone have any recommendations for touring companies?

Is the route difficult/scenic? How much of the route is on public roads?

Any advice appreciated.

I've walked the French way and arguably Saint Jean to Roncesvalles is the best part of the Camino. The views crossing the Pyrenees are amazing - well once you get above the clouds. For most of the people you will meet it will be their first day as well so there's a great buzz and feeling of excitement. Its a long first day as well, half the day going up the Pyrenees and half the day coming down (if there's one thing you learn from the Camino is that going down is a lot worse than going up).

From memory days 2 and 3 are a lot flatter. Apart from the heat your only challenge will be getting over the fact you have to tear yourself away from a great walk ;)

The way is fantastically marked. Remember this is a well trodden path with thousands of people of all ages, nationality and levels doing it every year. You will be given a map when you register and you can use that to plot distances and where you want to stay. You can buy a guidebook or map beforehand. I had the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camino-Santiago-Maps-Roncesvalles-Finisterre/dp/1844095991/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374914151&sr=1-2

It was a little bit more solid than the map provided at registration and highlighted things like places watering holes and the like.

• General Camino advice would be to get out and practice lots.
    • Pack smart, if you're only going for 3 days then just pack for 3 days. First days of the Camino are usually spent chatting to strangers about how they shipped half their gear home because they realised they didn't need it. I tried my best but even I overpacked. I went in June of last year and lugged an unnecessary sleeping bag round with me. For almost every night my sleeping bag liner was enough.
    • Footwear is the most important advice. Your feet are your biggest allies so look after them. Comfortable shoes you've walked in. I've seen the pain and suffering of people who tried it in new shoes - dont be one of them. Trail runners rather than boots if you've a choice. The latter are heavy and not needed for this time of year. But above all footwear you are comfortable in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toutsimple

Hey,
    I'm thinking of doing the full French way camino on my own. I wouldn't mind doing it alone but feel it may be safer to travel in a group as I'm quite young. Does anyone here know if there are ways to join groups at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port? I'm not really looking for a guided tour group as I don't want to spend too much on a tour when I'd rather go along the way without much instruction if you know what I mean. But any info of groups that are formed beforehand/formed when arriving there would be very helpful. Also I'm new to boards...how would I post my own thread? I don't want to be overloading this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

toutsimple wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm thinking of doing the full French way camino on my own. I wouldn't mind doing it alone but feel it may be safer to travel in a group as I'm quite young. Does anyone here know if there are ways to join groups at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port? I'm not really looking for a guided tour group as I don't want to spend too much on a tour when I'd rather go along the way without much instruction if you know what I mean. But any info of groups that are formed beforehand/formed when arriving there would be very helpful. Also I'm new to boards...how would I post my own thread? I don't want to be overloading this one!

Hi toutsimple, and welcome to boards :)
    To start a new thread, when you open the main 'Outdoor Pursuits' forum page, at the top left, you'll see a 'new thread' button.
    Happy posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toutsimple

Thanks a million Sauve :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement