Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoC 10: 2 years in the making , 10th of August at the Exchange: MvC, AE, IGAU, SSBM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'd agree with Lythero, in my experience when it comes to lower levels of play in fighting games, rounds tend to last a whole lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm not sure how long the tournament would run in a setting with other tournaments also going, but I was expecting the actual players to steamroll the non-players in short order, and then for Aidan to steamroll whoever was left.

But I'd be fine with dropping to 3 stock/ 5 mins if Voa is concerned with the running time.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

and then for Aidan to steamroll whoever was left.
    But I don't play smash. :D

But I don't play smash. :D

If I was referring to you I clearly would have said "The Tormeynator"

If I was referring to you I clearly would have said "The Tormeynator"

If I ever enter a Smash tournament I shall play under that tag. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

few of us talked about coming up from galway for AE, but sadly its just too expensive for us right now.. 20 bucks on the bus and 10 in is just too much
    well be there in spirit if we cant make it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

few of us talked about coming up from galway for AE, but sadly its just too expensive for us right now.. 20 bucks on the bus and 10 in is just too much
    well be there in spirit if we cant make it..

throw an xbox in the old bag and reduce costs further ;)
    Voa wrote: »
    Brining consoles and monitors reduces cost of entry: 5 euro for either a monitor or a console, free entry if both are brought.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    throw an xbox in the old bag and reduce costs further ;)

hmmm
    that could be arranged..

like i said still a chance we can make it.. but trying to decide if we could put the money to better use for our own events.. eg, 4 of us come up, thats 120 euro..
    im sure 120 could go a long way for a few bits for our events..
    thoughts?

like i said still a chance we can make it.. but trying to decide if we could put the money to better use for our own events.. eg, 4 of us come up, thats 120 euro..
    thoughts?

This is starting to look like it's going to be one of our best attended tournaments in a long time.

I would say if you were going to attend only one thing, do the evo overnighter, but since that 11.5 months in the future, THIS is looking like the place to be.

I think €30 per person is worth meeting an entirely new scene. Even if you never come to another Dublin tournament, it'll be an experience and a memory you'll keep with you for a long time.

• Advertisement

thoughts?

120 quid would provide for a level of beer but a trip up to the big schmoke to play the best in the country, experience mad hype when Ladno loses again, meet new people and have tastier more expensive Dublin beer :p is better.

Messing aside, you can always host a local tourney. A trip to to what is looking like the best attended SF event of the year would be a far better use of resources imho.

Plus it would be great to put faces to names and who knows, maybe you can convince some of the lads to make a Galway invasion trip. Might have to look at a sat event but why not come up and mingle the idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Speaking of cost reduction....

Can people with screens and consoles they intend to bring please PM me? We're kinda short of everything at the moment :pac:

T
    I think €30 per person is worth meeting an entirely new scene.

i went to the evo allnighter a couple of weeks ago..
    with the intention of meeting heads re the 'mythical galway scene' posts on here..

i extended invites to people to come down here and even offered places to stay.. but felt like i made no real connection.. im not saying i expected to meet my new 'best friend forever', but i did expect to meet/chat with more then the 2 or 3 i did..

was still a fun night though.. all about hakan..

i extended invites to people to come down here and even offered places to stay.. but felt like i made no real connection.. im not saying i expected to meet my new 'best friend forever', but i did expect to meet/chat with more then the 2 or 3 i did..

Mondays are hard to cross the country for most. Jobs, college etc.

like ive said before we will be hosting an all day event in a few weeks which i think will be a sunday and tourney will take place between 4 and 8 with casuals after.. so hopefully some of you guys can make it to that.. there will also be a bbq and djs in the smoking area all day.. will be a good one..

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

with the intention of meeting heads re the 'mythical galway scene' posts on here..

Hadn't realised you were at that. Don't think we bumped into each other on the night. Or maybe we did, and I forgot - I'm a jerk like that.

I'd love to go to one of the Monday sessions, but like ayjay said, work. If I've any holidays left to take before the year's end though, I'll give you a shout.
    like ive said before we will be hosting an all day event in a few weeks which i think will be a sunday and tourney will take place between 4 and 8 with casuals after.. so hopefully some of you guys can make it to that.. there will also be a bbq and djs in the smoking area all day.. will be a good one..

Now this is a bit more doable.

Ah sorry, I didn't know you were there either or I would have made a point to introduce myself (I would have been the guy in the corner who was sayin "Wooo Smash! Yay Smash! Anyone want to play Smash? Smash smash smash"

There are enough mini-scenes in Dublin now: IJ, Marvel, AE, Tekken, (Smash?) that I think a lot of people assume that anyone they don't know is just a regular attendee for a game they don't play. That's the way I think at least.

I can't think of any recommendations other than for you to introduce yourself to people.

General question: Would a section on the website of actual player photos (rather than sf character images and fanfiction) be helpful for new people to put names to faces etc?

I just made a post about this tournament on the website. :cool:

I hope it is suitable. :rolleyes:

http://randomselect.ie/index.php/2013/07/31/doc-10-2-years-in-the-making-10th-of-august-at-the-exchange-umvc3-ae-igau-ssbm/

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Are we banning Martian Manhunter for Injustice, since he's only going to be out for about 11 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I'll be there as should at least a few other cork people. Definitely at least one other anyway

Now while there's no need to listen to me, I have a suggestion for easing the burden of people travelling from far, and it's only a small one.

But that is to move ae to be the second tournament, so that people don't need to aim to be there for right on 12 who are travelling from afar for ae. This seems a reasonable move since I think ae is the game that has the most people travelling. So a later and fixed time for the start of ae would be very helpful for people travelling long distances.

raah! wrote: »
    a later and fixed time for the start of ae would be very helpful for people travelling long distances.

i agree..

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I agree also. I'm unlikely to be able to make this but a 12 start would be really tough on anyone wanting to travel from Belfast for AE.

If it helps the AE players, to my knowledge all the Smash players are Dublin locals, so we could take one of the earlier start time slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prenelf

I'll be coming from Cork as well and come hell or high water I will be there for smash bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

GorySnake wrote: »
    Are we banning Martian Manhunter for Injustice, since he's only going to be out for about 11 days.

11 days is fine for a local imo. Would love to see mmh in his birthday suit in gf

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Won't be able to make this unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I'm a maybe for this

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

DarkTalant wrote: »
    Won't be able to make this unfortunately...

I'll be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Not likely but I'll see what I can do.

Advertisement