Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Postgraduate Maynothian

• 26-07-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I will study for a year in NUIM in Erasmus Mundus program starting from this September. I have applied on-campus accommodation and got the Village Apartment. I don't really know about the quality of this residence but I hope it is good :). I have read the timetable and found an interesting thing. I will have two subjects which each is offered in around two weeks. I never have experience in this kind of studying because in my undergraduate degree all subjects were given for the whole semester. Is it usual to have some subjects given only for around two weeks in NUIM? But anyway, I think there's always a first time for everything.

Anyway, I hope this year will be great because it's gonna be my first experience studying abroad (actually, it's my first time going abroad, too :D). I have read some forums about accommodation and traveling in NUIM. But if you guys have some (personal) advice/tips/info for a new Maynothian like me, I will be very thankful for it. :)

Go raibh maith agaibh.
    ~I don't know how to say it, I just take it from the internet :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

MSc in Computer Science tends to have modules in two week blocks, a lot of postgraduate modules here are done that way, its tough but manage-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 middle_earth

Thank you, Alt_Grrr

Fortunately I have some backgrounds in those two modules, so I have started revisiting the subject now, just in case. I have this question regarding the timetable. It is said that from 30th Sept to 11th Oct I will have module A, and from 14th to 25th Oct I will have module B. And after that I will have this "study week" from 28th Oct to 1st Nov. What is this study week? Is this some free time for us to study on our own?

regards

What is this study week? Is this some free time for us to study on our own?

regards

Yep, its like a mid-term break.
    Its mostly used to catch up on course work or assignments, some jammy-dodgers go on holiday. During the break is Halloween, which is marked in Ireland with fireworks, bonfires and getting drunk in costume.

Oh I see, so there's no midterm exams anymore. Can't wait for those "fireworks, bonfires and getting drunk in costume". :D

Thanks, Alt_Grrr

Oh I see, so there's no midterm exams anymore.

Those tend to happen in class if at all. But because of the structure of your course, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Where are you planning on doing your second year?

• Advertisement

My second year will be in St. Andrews. After a quick research, I find that there's no two week modules there. And if I'm not mistaken, there's no midterm exam either :pac:.

Advertisement