Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

givecredit wrote: »
    If you buy a pass of ebay and enter the details into your account, by login at nowtv.com they will not debit your account for the duration of the pass. You can stop the debits by cancelling your pass at nowtv.com

But if I cancel I can't use the service at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No, you're just cancelling the current pass/subscription. Cancelling is to stop the charge rolling over to the next month. After you cancel you just enter the code from whatever pass you get and it starts straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

If you cancel, you cannot use the service after your current pass that you would have bought on ebay expires. There is no need to cancel if you remember to enter a new pass number within one from of current pass expiring. They only debit your account if you have no valid pass entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Hi, do any of you guys using the NowTV box, whether the NowTV service itself or the TVPlayer, FilmOn etc apps, know what sort of average data usage you are using throughout a week/month? Trying to work out how much I'd need, Unlimited data is not an option for my area at the minute :mad: Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Hi, do any of you guys using the NowTV box, whether the NowTV service itself or the TVPlayer, FilmOn etc apps, know what sort of average data usage you are using throughout a week/month? Trying to work out how much I'd need, Unlimited data is not an option for my area at the minute :mad: Thanks.

The NowTV box itself is going to use about 1GB per hour while you're watching TV.

Limited data packages are a very risky business with any sort of streaming service (Netflix, Sky Go etc) because they devour data at a fair old rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Even sitting idle it will consume a very small amount of bandwidth loading side ad's, updating tv show/movie recommendations on the NOWTV home screen and periodically checking the servers for updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Got my free Kids Pass today for 4 months. I think some people got these if they were part way through a 6 month pass for the entertainment pack.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Got my free Kids Pass today for 4 months. I think some people got these if they were part way through a 6 month pass for the entertainment pack.

Likewise, I'm about three months into a six-month pass and got the same email.
    Happy enough, it doesn't resolve the issue but it kicks it down the road a bit...

Likewise, I'm about three months into a six-month pass and got the same email.
    Happy enough, it doesn't resolve the issue but it kicks it down the road a bit...

Nice, I doubt we'd get the same from Sky Ireland if they were running this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I got a free pass too, but i've been on PAYG for the last few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I got the free 4 months kids pass too............but dont see anything different on the box!?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Delboy5 wrote: »
    I got the free 4 months kids pass too............but dont see anything different on the box!?

You need to reboot the box - just unplug it - the kids now comes up as it's own section on the menu

paddyh117 wrote: »
    You need to reboot the box - just unplug it - the kids now comes up as it's own section on the menu

Thanks, should have replied that i got it sorted, just did a manual software update that evening and Kids section was there....

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

When is the new box going to be out?

soirish wrote: »
    When is the new box going to be out?

Launched 29th June but not sure when it will actually be available for purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Now TV combo box being announced right now. Contract free TV, phone and broadband. Don't see any specifics yet, but this could be UK only. Box will be £40.

Edit: web site now launched... http://www.nowtv.com/broadband-and-tv

Looks like multiple things happening - a new Now TV Smart Box, plus contract free broadband/calls.

Now TV combo box being announced right now. Contract free TV, phone and broadband. Don't see any specifics yet, but this could be UK only. Box will be £40.

Edit: web site now launched... http://www.nowtv.com/broadband-and-tv

Looks like multiple things happening - a new Now TV Smart Box, plus contract free broadband/calls.

Well obviously the broadband/phone thing is no use to Ireland, but the bit I'm interested in is the free-to-air channel capability. It looks like (from the video) that the UK channels are integrated into the box's software, so may not work for RTE/TV3 etc.

New box has no 4K capability so if the FTA channels don't work, then it's probably not much of a leap for Irish customers.

So it's looking like we won't be able to just buy one of these new boxes on its own then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    So it's looking like we won't be able to just buy one of these new boxes on its own then

Well, its the same with the current box. But with Amazon around, these new boxes just might make it here:).

Well, its the same with the current box. But with Amazon around, these new boxes just might make it here:).

I got a current box off Now TV direct.

But it seems you can only register your interest at the moment. Would i be right in thinking that you can only get a new box as part of a broadband bundle?

• Advertisement

One of the sites mentioned this:

"The box is also available as a standalone option, so if you already have a Now TV pass or want one without the broadband or phone line you can get it for £39.99."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138075-now-tv-smart-box-release-date-price-specs-and-everything-you-need-to-know

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭tandcapply

Due to lunch in July, the following Forum should become live once the box is out:
    http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Combo/bd-p/NOWTVCombo1
    39.99 GBP for the box only, no 4k it seems. So, not so good value anymore compared with previous versions.
    I'm reserving judgment until final specs are published.

tandcapply wrote: »
    I'm reserving judgment until final specs are published.

Me too and see if Plex can be sideloaded.........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Note that this new box seems to use Freeview DVB-T

So first of all no guarantee that the DVB-T will even work in Ireland [1] and even if it does, for the vast majority of Irish people [2] it would only work with the 10 Irish channels (RTE, TV3, etc.). It won't work with BBC, ITV UK, C4, etc. as most people in Ireland don't have reception to pick these channels up via DVB-T [3]

[1] While Saorview in Ireland also uses DVB-T like Freeview in the UK does, it isn't quiet the same standard (metadata, EPG, etc. are different) and there is no guarantee Sky will include support for the Irish channels in their software, specially if they aren't launching it in Ireland.

[2] A small percentage of people living along the border with Northern Ireland or a few other spots around Ireland may pick up the Freeview signals and the UK channels might work for them. But certainly not most people.

[3] Though most people can pick up these UK channels via DVB-S2 satellite either on a FTA sat box or Freesat box (highly recommended).

Also the Broadband definitely won't work here, they are reselling BT UK's broadband. IF they launch in Ireland they will have to do a deal with Eir Wholesale to do the same here.

On the whole I'd say this box is largely useless for Irish people, unless they officially launch here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

I have a DVB-T Freeview box and it works here just fine for Saorview.

Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

If freeview is the only substantive change (for £40) an ROI launch seems very unlikely ... just hope they don't phase out the old boxes too quickly!

styron wrote: »
    If freeview is the only substantive change (for £40) an ROI launch seems very unlikely ... just hope they don't phase out the old boxes too quickly!

They've essentially said if you don't need freeview or broandband etc that they'll continue to offer their current box as well for those customers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have a DVB-T Freeview box and it works here just fine for Saorview.

As I mentioned above, no guarantee that this box will work with Saorview. In fact I suspect it won't.

It depends on how Sky's (more likely Rokus) software engineers program it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

bk wrote: »
    As I mentioned above, no guarantee that this box will work with Saorview. In fact I suspect it won't.

It depends on how Sky's (more likely Rokus) software engineers program it.

It will work, these tuners have to be scanned first because the frequencies across the UK and Ire are different for areas.

Some info on the boxes -

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138075-now-tv-smart-box-release-date-price-specs-and-everything-you-need-to-know

I hear what you're saying about Roku engineers and that but it's very doubtful because Freeview must be scanned first like Saorview.

Lets hope this badboy can sideload an app.

• Advertisement

It will work, these tuners have to be scanned first because the frequencies across the UK and Ire are different for areas.

Some info on the boxes -

I hear what you're saying about Roku engineers and that but it's very doubtful because Freeview must be scanned first like Saorview.

I think the point is that if the Now TV box contains software to scan automatically for FTA channels, it may just be set to look for the UK channels and ignore other signals that it doesn't 'recognise'. The option to manually do so and pick up Irish channels might not be there.

We won't know until the first boardsie gets one I suppose.

Advertisement