Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

DubDJ wrote: »
    I see the black NowTV boxes are being sold on the Irish Currys/PC World site with bundled passes. Does this mean it's officially being supported in Ireland or have they always been there?

Unlikely, they show them on occasion, probably a copy paste from their UK site and converted to euro in error, they're usually removed after a short while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

RE: FTA channels on the new box
    My second complaint is with the ability to browse Freeview channels. Sky has left the channels in the standard order that Freeview dictates, with the no way to reorganise them or pick favourites for a shorter list.
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/media-streamers/1400602/now-tv-review-we-test-the-sky-now-tv-box-service-and

That would seem to make the chances of using this for Saorview slim enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

RE: FTA channels on the new box

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/media-streamers/1400602/now-tv-review-we-test-the-sky-now-tv-box-service-and

That would seem to make the chances of using this for Saorview slim enough.

Oh well. it does kind of limit its appeal a bit, I have FTA channels on the black box through the filmon player anyway. So really its down to the pause and rewind live tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Is there a new version of TV Player available to sideload for the NOW TV?

I have a version of this on an Amazon Fire Stick and it's much expanded, with Catch Up and 7 day guide available

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Is there a new version of TV Player available to sideload for the NOW TV?

I have a version of this on an Amazon Fire Stick and it's much expanded, with Catch Up and 7 day guide available

That may be the official app, whereas what were using is a custom built app for Roku, works really well but isnt official, its also been renamed as TV Player themselves blocked its usage on ROKU/NowTv boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

rogercross wrote: »
    The point is that they're offering something extra that wasn't on the previous boxes, they need some grab to get more people in and for some to potentially upgrade, i think you're expecting too much, its an extra feature vs being the boxes sole purpose.

At the £40 price point, I think the Roku2 is a better option, for an extra £10 to £20 more. (Depending on Amazon's mood)

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Private channels(eg the excellent XTV and pear channels), Plex and Filmon tv all on Roku2.

The new box is now officially available to buy:

http://www.nowtv.com/smart-box-bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Link not working.

Link not working.

Its working fine for me

www.nowtv.com/smart-box-bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...somebody buy one and report back! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

JDxtra wrote: »
    ...somebody buy one and report back! :)

I bought one of the black boxes on day 1 for 15 sterling minus any passes just to test the better performance vs the old white box (which aged poorly) but I'm uninclined to rush out and get this, I don't have a need for it, might pick one up off Amazon if it comes bundled with passes at the right price purely for curiosties sake :)

On the assumption it can't be used for Saorview, can't really see any value in the new box at the current prices.

Sky's blurb says that box can receive 60 Freeview and 12 HD channels. I wonder are those HD channels Freeview HD channels? If that is the case, would it not indicate that Saorview channels could be tuned in ?

Has anyone seen the technical specifications of the combo box?

Sky's blurb says that box can receive 60 Freeview and 12 HD channels. I wonder are those HD channels Freeview HD channels? If that is the case, would it not indicate that Saorview channels could be tuned in ?

Has anyone seen the technical specifications of the combo box?

It seems that UK Freeview channels will be automatically tuned by the Now box with no option to manually edit or tune.

Any one know how to get subs working on plex?
    They work on the host PC.
    option is there to turn them on but nadda

Thanks

It seems that UK Freeview channels will be automatically tuned by the Now box with no option to manually edit or tune.

I'm just waiting for someone else to get this, I've sufficient boxes already, need a real reason to justify getting a new one :-)

I'm just waiting for someone else to get this, I've sufficient boxes already, need a real reason to justify getting a new one :-)

I'm in the same boat !!! If I get another, it'll be flung at me:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi folks,

Sorry to ask this....be prepared...this will be a stupid question....

I have the last gen black box...sitting unopened in its box. Can someone explain to me what do I have to do to set this up? This thread is bloody LONG and there's so much to take in I'd be extremely grateful if someone could give me the idiot's guide......

I have a satellite dish (not sky) and freeview, as well as Virgin digital and my broadband is Virgin if that's any help.

Extra: Or just tell me if there's any point in using it and this stage!

Hi folks,

I have the last gen black box...sitting unopened in its box. Can someone explain to me what do I have to do to set this up? This thread is bloody LONG and there's so much to take in I'd be extremely grateful if someone could give me the idiot's guide......

I have a satellite dish (not sky) and freeview, as well as Virgin digital and my broadband is Virgin if that's any help.

Google "Plex for Nowtv box". I guarantee you will be surprised at the range of stuff you can get.

Hi folks,

The black box is a great piece of kit, to set it up you'll need to create a now tv account which will also have a requirement to give credit card details to sign up for a 30 day trial, sign up and just immediately cancel the trial if you do not want to use their paid services, and voila you have a nowtv black box activated and ready for use, you can add loads of different apps to it from the channel store on the box, such as BBC iPlayer, Demand5, 4OD, youtube etc. Plus as people mentioned above you can also look into getting Plex on to the box if you like too.

• Advertisement

Free 1 day sky sports pass available on 14th July 2014. Going on previous Free Passes, you do not need to use the pass on the 14th. It should be free to use any day within next year.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/watch-day-one-of-the-open-for-free-with-now-tv

The New Now TV box still lets you sideload apps. Its still possible to sideload plex and filmon tv. The 1 sideloaded app restriction still applys.

The Now tv streams are same quality as existing boxes.

The USB slot is active. So possible to play media files from usb. A side load USB media player app is needed. So this would mean no plex or Filmontv app.

The developer of FILMONTV app so looking into combining a usb media player/filmontv app to get around the 1 sideloaded app restriction.

No information yet on saorview and this box.

By the way did anyone buy the Roku3 yesterday at £48 stg on amazon? Still my preferred choice.

givecredit wrote: »
    The New Now TV box still lets you sideload apps. Its still possible to sideload plex and filmon tv. The 1 sideloaded app restriction still applys.

The Now tv streams are same quality as existing boxes.

The USB slot is active. So possible to play media files from usb. A side load USB media player app is needed. So this would mean no plex or Filmontv app.

The developer of FILMONTV app so looking into combining a usb media player/filmontv app to get around the 1 sideloaded app restriction.

No information yet on saorview and this box.

By the way did anyone buy the Roku3 yesterday at £48 stg on amazon? Still my preferred choice.

Do you have any further info on the FilmOn dev trying to combine 2 apps?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was tempted, but went with a Nvidia Shield TV instead.

Yes, I know Now TV isn't supported on Android TV yet :( I'll continue to use the Now TV box for Now TV and the shield for everything else. Hoping they will support Android TV eventually and I can simplify down to one box then.

Do you have any further info on the FilmOn dev trying to combine 2 apps?

Quote from artesea yesterday:

"Really need to get around to adding the USB media player within my app and adding a menu item when a stick is connected to make the most of the one sideloaded app restriction."

Quote from artesea yesterday:

"Really need to get around to adding the USB media player within my app and adding a menu item when a stick is connected to make the most of the one sideloaded app restriction."

Ah ok, I don't see that entry on his site, might have deleted it?

Ah ok, I don't see that entry on his site, might have deleted it?

He did not say it on his site. He is also on digitalspy forums.

He did not say it on his site. He is also on digitalspy forums.

Ah ok didn't know that cool :-)

I decided to try my Rasberry pi 3 for plex.
    Installed rasplex on it.
    Far far far better than the now tv box IF all you use is Plex.
    so long little box.Its been a fun few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The black box is a great piece of kit, to set it up you'll need to create a now tv account which will also have a requirement to give credit card details to sign up for a 30 day trial, sign up and just immediately cancel the trial if you do not want to use their paid services, and voila you have a nowtv black box activated and ready for use, you can add loads of different apps to it from the channel store on the box, such as BBC iPlayer, Demand5, 4OD, youtube etc. Plus as people mentioned above you can also look into getting Plex on to the box if you like too.

Does it need to be a credit card with a UK address?

Advertisement