Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Does it need to be a credit card with a UK address?

It doesn't have to be no, a lot of people on this thread use irish cards, i'm using my friends uk card, i buy the vouchers however so my friend is never billed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

I use IPTV on my now tv box, it has lots of channels and great quality too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Paid service Del?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Paid service Del?

Ask him by PM;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

Paid service Del?

not allowed to discuss on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

anyone selling the old black now tv boxes for peanuts seeing as there's a new one out, father seen mine and likes the idea

tuborg_man wrote: »
    anyone selling the old black now tv boxes for peanuts seeing as there's a new one out, father seen mine and likes the idea

The black boxes are not that old. I guess a lot of owners will keep them, pending the level of purchase of the new boxes and reviews of same. Keep an eye on Adverts.ie. There's usually 1 or 2 on offer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Anyone have any luck getting the free sports pass?

south wrote: »

They emailed me this morning and gave me a link to follow so i have the pass i just haven't applied it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tried the link posted earlier in the thread but when i clicked on the link on the link the page would open.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Tried the link posted earlier in the thread but when i clicked on the link on the link the page would open.

It took 2 attempts for me but then the page came up, they're probably overloaded this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Got my free day pass, cheers...
    "You've got 24 hours of sports action waiting. Activate your pass whenever you're ready."

Probably keep it for a Premier League game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

givecredit wrote: »
    Free 1 day sky sports pass available on 14th July 2014. Going on previous Free Passes, you do not need to use the pass on the 14th. It should be free to use any day within next year.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/watch-day-one-of-the-open-for-free-with-now-tv

Thanks a million for this. Saved for later, final day of Ryder Cup sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

http://www.nowtv.com/promo/free-pass

Think the code was BRITOPEN16

fdevine wrote: »
    http://www.nowtv.com/promo/free-pass

Think the code was BRITOPEN16

I haven't applied it yet, but presumably once you do its for today then no, or can you choose when to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

rogercross wrote: »
    I haven't applied it yet, but presumably once you do its for today then no, or can you choose when to use it?

Once you put in the BRITOPEN16 code, it will give you the option to use now or save for later.

Once you put in the BRITOPEN16 code, it will give you the option to use now or save for later.

Cool thanks for that!

Anyone ever buy passes off eBay?

I am looking at a 3 month pass, the guy emails you the code. But eBay are looking to add £7.99 to the cost for postage - even though nothing is being sent. How does that work exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Anyone ever buy passes off eBay?

I am looking at a 3 month pass, the guy emails you the code. But eBay are looking to add £7.99 to the cost for postage - even though nothing is being sent. How does that work exactly?

I normally buy a pass of e-bay and there is no issue they usually email it to me - to get a round the postage part I use my Parcel motel address and log into the ebay Uk site the postage then comes up as free

hope that helps.

I normally buy a pass of e-bay and there is no issue they usually email it to me - to get a round the postage part I use my Parcel motel address and log into the ebay Uk site the postage then comes up as free

hope that helps.

Perfect, that should work! Cheers

Edit - worked perfect. Many thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Ordered 2 of the new smartboxs. I had the old white one but have it on to someone else once I'd used the passes.
    Will have one of the new ones today, on the way to my parcelmotel now.

lafors wrote: »
    Ordered 2 of the new smartboxs. I had the old white one but have it on to someone else once I'd used the passes.
    Will have one of the new ones today, on the way to my parcelmotel now.

Would you mind doing a review for us after you have it going?

Would you mind doing a review for us after you have it going?

Will do.
    I'm going to try hook it up to freeview too obviously. I already have freesat and saorview going on another box, a Ferguson ariva. Just need to get a masthead amp and a power unit for freeview reception. For me i'm more interested in the now TV options and possible sideloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Will do.
    I'm going to try hook it up to freeview too obviously. I already have freesat and saorview going on another box, a Ferguson ariva. Just need to get a masthead amp and a power unit for freeview reception. For me i'm more interested in the now TV options and possible sideloading.

Would you mind connecting it to your saorview aerial and see can it tune in the saorview channels. Many users here would be interested in your results.

Thanks and enjoy your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Version 1.30 of tvplayer out now. Has USB player built in.

givecredit wrote: »
    Version 1.30 of tvplayer out now. Has USB player built in.

Can you post up a link, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Here is the dev's blog. The link to the app is in the comments section (15 July) :

http://blog.artesea.co.uk/2016/01/tvplayer-on-roku-or-now-tv.html

Instructions to side-load the app here:

https://recombu.com/digital/article/how-to-developer-mode-now-tv-box#

I tried out the app. Works great. USB player worked well for me. Happy days :)

So had a quick play with it, I mean quick.
    Good news, it picks up the saorview channels.

IMG20160716185013_zpszep7vujg.jpg

So basically if you can pick up freeview too it should pick them all up :)

I haven't tried to fix the station locations, not sure if I can yet.
    Will update.

Right had a bit more time with it last night.

I got the 5 months entertainment pass with it and had a spare 1 day for sports so enabled that on my account first. The Now TV part works similar to before, picture quality is actually pretty good, I have it on my 101" projector screen. It does output at 1080p 50hz. I was watching the golf which looked very good. Watched some cricket too and again looked good, nice and smooth.

Next I watch a bit of Sky Atlantic and then tried out some of the box sets. Watched a couple of episodes of billions and it was perfect streaming.

On the free to air channels it picked up 78 (TV/radio) all saorview.
    I'm in Dublin 9 so I'm hopeful I can pick up the freeview with a bit of modding of my aerial.
    I can't find (or haven't found yet) a way to move the station's about so they're in the order they're found. It means plenty of empty spaces and radio channels mixed in, but the guide is quick to react when moving channels so that helps. Quality is fine, same as my other saorview boxes.

I plugged a memory stick into the USB port and nothing happened, guess I need to sideload TV player to use that. I also didn't use the microsd or haven't figured out what it's for yet.

I'm running off Ethernet which is great, I'm going to try to bypass the location checking on the TV catch up players, BBC iPlayer etc.. Not sure if it'll work but I'll try.

I've read some people complaining about the fan on the box, I haven't noticed it though it's sitting with all my other AV equipment, amp, upc box, htpc, Xbox etc. so it's not going to be the loudest thing there.

Any questions fire away!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Right had a bit more time with it last night.

I got the 5 months entertainment pass with it and had a spare 1 day for sports so enabled that on my account first. The Now TV part works similar to before, picture quality is actually pretty good, I have it on my 101" projector screen. It does output at 1080p 50hz. I was watching the golf which looked very good. Watched some cricket too and again looked good, nice and smooth.

Next I watch a bit of Sky Atlantic and then tried out some of the box sets. Watched a couple of episodes of billions and it was perfect streaming.

On the free to air channels it picked up 78 (TV/radio) all saorview.
    I'm in Dublin 9 so I'm hopeful I can pick up the freeview with a bit of modding of my aerial.
    I can't find (or haven't found yet) a way to move the station's about so they're in the order they're found. It means plenty of empty spaces and radio channels mixed in, but the guide is quick to react when moving channels so that helps. Quality is fine, same as my other saorview boxes.

I plugged a memory stick into the USB port and nothing happened, guess I need to sideload TV player to use that. I also didn't use the microsd or haven't figured out what it's for yet.

I'm running off Ethernet which is great, I'm going to try to bypass the location checking on the TV catch up players, BBC iPlayer etc.. Not sure if it'll work but I'll try.

I've read some people complaining about the fan on the box, I haven't noticed it though it's sitting with all my other AV equipment, amp, upc box, htpc, Xbox etc. so it's not going to be the loudest thing there.

Any questions fire away!! :D

Cheers for the info.

So basically it has a freeview HD tuner built in to it? Sounds interesting. I'm in North County Dublin with an aerial on the roof pointing northwards. I have a to upstairs with a built in freeview HD tuner built in and pick up all the saorview channels and the likes of BBC HD etc from the North. Have an old Panny Plasma in the front room as the main telly and a Sky HD+ box without a sub but have a UK recording card in it. No saorview.
    I have a coax feed rom the aerial into the front room too that I used for the old analogue signal for the UK channels before they were switched off. Am I right in thinking you just put the coax from your aerial into the NowTv box and the. Output as normal through HDMI?

To clarify, the freeview and saorview channels are coming in through an aerial rather than being streamed?

Definitely looks like an option for me if so.

Also even though I have both previous versions of the box I can't remember how I ordered. Is it through Parcel Motel?

Advertisement