Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yup was going to ask is only place this can be bought is via nowtv website can't see it on any 3rd party sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I ordered them from the nowtv site, to my parcel motel.
    I think once there's not clashes in the frequencies between the saorview and freeview them you're OK. I think freesat dot ie has info on the clashes. Dublin is OK with three rock and Wales transmitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

lafors wrote: »
    I think once there's not clashes in the frequencies between the saorview and freeview them you're OK. I think freesat dot ie has info on the clashes. Dublin is OK with three rock and Wales transmitters.

Cheers. Ordered a box earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Any questions fire away!! :D

No published spec changes I can find - but is there any discernible difference in IPTV quality between the new and black boxes?

What's the over-the-air EPG like for saorview channels - now & next or Week? If the USB port is disabled, presumably no PVR either?

Thanks lafors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'm running off Ethernet which is great, I'm going to try to bypass the location checking on the TV catch up players, BBC iPlayer etc.. Not sure if it'll work but I'll try.

I have bought this for the nice sum of $14 from Aliexpress.

A great investment. You can add a VPN/DNS to the router as well so if you only want the Now TV box to be routed through your DNS in, this will do the trick.
    I also brought it on holidays recently and it turned the Free Ethernet to Free WiFi! I would highly recommend it for this use.
    Also, you can power it using the USB port on your telly/box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭tandcapply

Any idea what speed in the Ethernet port?
    I'll be streaming over 1Gb network

Did you get a tracking number with your order? I ordered on Sunday, got a confirmation email and have been charged for the box but when i log in to my account no orders a re showing and I havent got a dispatch email.

edit: got it sorted. Got on to live chat and they have it as delivered to Parcel Motel this morning so should have it tomorrow

So picked the box up from my Parcel Motel this evening and set it up.

Scanned for Channels and picked up 117 in total(lots of empty saorview spaces and radio channels included) as previously stated it does pick up the Saorview channels which is handy for me as don't have them on my old Panny plasma downstairs. I also pick up a lot of the U.K. Freeview channels due to my location and an old aerial on the roof. Getting BBC 1 and 2, UTV, Channel 4 and 5 in HD along with a lot more in SD.

Bit clunky with no way being able to change the channel positions but not a game breaker for me. I'm currently on a 6 month entertainment pass that I picked up for cheap on Amazon so getting plenty of use for the box.

It's a nice cheap solution for me to add saorview to my downstairs telly along with Freeview. The channel 4 catch up service works of course and I may look into getting a DNS provider again for the other catch up services available on the box. Hope to pick up another cheap entertainment pass in the future as well as we have been using it a lot.

I may side load Plex again but already having it on the ATV I might not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How much is the new box in Euro roughly?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    How much is the new box in Euro roughly?

About fifty euro.

• Advertisement

Fan is quite noisy on the unit when it kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Once this box was capable of a scan then of course Saorview would come in as it uses the same tech as Freeview HD.

It's great news & I'm skipping away to buy now. Thanks to the guys who posted info on the new box.

It's a cracking buy at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Folks, apologies if that has already been asked....

I have aanMxiii box and a firestick, both running Kodi for streaming and filmon and FTV Guide as the EPG ect/

Is there any benefit to be me using plex at all? I wouldnt be using it for home network stuff.

Is it as handy to set up as kodi and the add ons?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Hi - sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to pick up the Saorview channels on the basic £15 box?

Have a portable in kitchen but it cant pick up Saorview with basic aerial and so I'm just looking for something straightforward to use, if I can use apps etc to watch BBC and the like even better.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    Hi - sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to pick up the Saorview channels on the basic £15 box?

Have a portable in kitchen but it cant pick up Saorview with basic aerial and so I'm just looking for something straightforward to use, if I can use apps etc to watch BBC and the like even better.

Thanks
    No aerial input on that - there is an app to pick up UK Freeview channels via the internet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

TimHorton wrote: »

I'd say give it a few months and that price will go down or there will be better bundles

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Once this box was capable of a scan then of course Saorview would come in as it uses the same tech as Freeview HD.

Only sort of, Saorview and Freeview use a variety of different specs, some of which are the same, but others which are different * (mostly related to EPG metadata). Which is why people are seeing all these extra blank Saorview channels.

* Freeview HD uses DVB-T2 with MPEG4 encoding, while Saorview actually uses DVB-T (notice the lack of "2') with MPEG4 encoding. Fortunately DVB-T2 is backwards compatible with DVB-T, which is why Saorview channels sort of work on Freeview HD bxoes. However the two use completely different standards for EPG metadata.

For some idiotic reason, Saorview purposefully injects these unnecessary blank channels, which makes unofficial DVB-T boxes like this Now TV box less attractive. I can only guess this is to try and discourage people from buying non official Saorview boxes like this!

Really Comreg shouldn't allow them to do this.

I think by christmas ill be due to get another voucher either for myself or friends, so assuming the price has gone down a bit ill likely end up playing with one of these, the reports of fan noise is a bit worrying though, previous 2 gens have none and therefore no interfering noise, anyone here who has one do you notice it too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

rogercross wrote: »
    I think by christmas ill be due to get another voucher either for myself or friends, so assuming the price has gone down a bit ill likely end up playing with one of these, the reports of fan noise is a bit worrying though, previous 2 gens have none and therefore no interfering noise, anyone here who has one do you notice it too much?

Google Roku 4 and fan noise. You see its a common issue.

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    Google Roku 4 and fan noise. You see its a common issue.

Thats a shame! One would wonder why this model needed a fan and the others didn't.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thats a shame! One would wonder why this model needed a fan and the others didn't.

Faster CPU and GPU needed for 4K, which in turn generate more heat, thus fan needed.

Though ironically this Now TV box doesn't actually support 4k (well not officially supported in the OS at the moment.

So either Sky are planning to enable 4k on this box in future or they were just lazy and used the 4k roku box to make this new Freeview HD box. They might have just needed the larger box so they have the space to add the Freeview tuner and wanted to do a minimum or redesign (just add the tuner to the 4k box, versus taking the 4k case, add the older "Slower" CPU/GPU and remove fan).

Anyone got a favourite boxset to watch on NowTv at the moment? Looking for something new.

I think it may well be the Freeview tuner that needs the fan.
    I had an extended period of watching the NowTV part of the box and there was no active fan noise.

When I initially playing around with the box and was watching Freeview/Saorview that was when the fan kicked in and it was pretty distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone got a favourite boxset to watch on NowTv at the moment? Looking for something new.

True Detective is meant to be good.

If you're looking for something along the lines of Making a Murderer, look up "The Jinx", very riveting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    look up "The Jinx", very riveting.

Absolutely amazing series of documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Is there a catch?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Lucas Hood wrote: »

White box is it?

• Advertisement

Found an entry for HotUKDeals for this:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/free-now-tv-box-2486643