Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Parcel motel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

They've changed the text now to include the following so I doubt anyone will get it unless they got the genuine email:

"Free box only available to named recipient of offer email, any other entries will be discarded."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Sorry to rehash, can this box be modded with kodi?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    Gary

No

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    Gary

No modding can be done to it, you can sideload one app such as Plex or TvPlayer or USB Media Player that sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Be careful people - this is a scam!! The website is not the real one for NOW TV (just look at the address), it's actually a data harvesting site. For anyone who has clicked on it.....well.....you might want to consider covering your tracks and changing some personal and security settings on your private info....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

BandMember wrote: »
    Be careful people - this is a scam!! The website is not the real one for NOW TV (just look at the address), it's actually a data harvesting site. For anyone who has clicked on it.....well.....you might want to consider covering your tracks and changing some personal and security settings on your private info....

It's legit. Sky own the subdomain and it's been queried over on HUKD with Sky reps who have confirmed it's a legit email they sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Broke the old white now TV box out retirement today. God it's slow but it'll do for using to cast plex from phone to it in the bedroom.

Corholio wrote: »
    It's legit. Sky own the subdomain and it's been queried over on HUKD with Sky reps who have confirmed it's a legit email they sent out.

Fair enough. I saw it posted in a few places that it was a fake and thought it better safe than sorry to say it here, just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

13872634_10154526904732847_1086892908974244356_n.jpg?oh=8556a13a21cb6470a621b6cdfb983496&oe=585DF170

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if anyone is looking to bridge the gap between the NowTV and a high end android tv box for KODI, there's a new kid on the block in the form of the TX5 Pro (with 2GB RAM & 16GB ROM) for under $50US with HDMI 2.0 and built in hardware decoding for the newer 10BIT HEVC H.265 & VP9, up to 4K @60fps, plus all the usual higher end bells and whistles dual band wifi, BT4, S/PDIF, HDR, and even comes with a remote & hdmi cable.
    It even supports ENCODING 1080p HHD @60fps if you want to attach a digital tv and/or satellite reciever to it and use it as a PVR.

also hard to argue with a penta-core mali 450 gpu too, which should be plenty for mid-range android based gaming (and MAME'ing) too, esp. if paired with a BT game controller or two. :)

There's even a lower end (non-pro) one with 1gb ram 8gb rom for a bit less, but (imho) you'd be hard pushed for the few quid in it.

I haven't actually ordered one yet (skint again!), and i definitely don't need one but i reckon it's got to be worth a punt at that price. :)

available from all the usual ebay/alibaba/aliexpress/bangood/gearbest type places online, but i won't link due to the whole shilling thing that went on a while back. google is your friend. :)

dammit, i need more money! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

iPlayer use to be tied to UK TV licence from September 1st

styron wrote: »
    iPlayer use to be tied to UK TV licence from September 1st

Thats just from a Legal standpoint though as theres 10's thousands of license dodging people in the UK using the loophole that if its not live tv they can watch the iplayer without needing a tv license therefore they dont pay it, I doubt they're going to enroll every licence payer into some sort of login for the app itself.

Well I hope not anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Hi lads, has anyone got an easy guide to getting the BBC iplayer working on the now box please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Filmon TV app updated. Fixes filmon tvplayer and includes USB media app.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B787MtHYmgPna1RJM3VnUTc5S28/view?pref=2&pli=1

Install intructions:

Assuming you're all set up, logged in and faced with the Now TV channel screen, the first step is basically like entering a video game cheat code. With the remote, punch in:

Home, Home, Home, Up, Up, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right

You should be sent to a "Developer settings" page with a prominent IP address centre stage, and the option to "Enable installer." Jot down the digits, follow the prompts to accept the T&Cs, and your Now TV box will reboot and look completely unchanged.

Now, head to your PC, load up a browser window (we've heard Internet Explorer doesn't work, for some reason), and plug the Now TV box's IP into the address bar -- so, for us, it was http://192.168.1.65. This will take you to the rather bland "Development Application Installer" page. From there, you choose the app file, hit install, and within a few seconds it'll launch on the Now TV box and will be found in your channel list thereafter, just like any other app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

What's the best android box around at the moment?

keano25 wrote: »
    from a "future proofing" perspective without spending the earth on it, i'm going to go with the one i mentioned a few posts ago, but although there are more expensive otpions with more ram and bvetter CPU's, most don't have hardware decoding of the newer H.265 and VP9 formats, which will (imho) very likely become the standard in the next few years as online content becomes the defacto method for watching video.

keano25 wrote: »
    vibe666 wrote: »
    from a "future proofing" perspective without spending the earth on it, i'm going to go with the one i mentioned a few posts ago, but although there are more expensive otpions with more ram and bvetter CPU's, most don't have hardware decoding of the newer H.265 and VP9 formats, which will (imho) very likely become the standard in the next few years as online content becomes the defacto method for watching video.

You are both on the wrong thread - ye can peruse this one at your leisure.... ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057446012&page=123

BandMember wrote: »
    I'm on that one too, I'm just spreading the love. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Anyone got the latest app for TV please? - can't download it off Ryan's website

• Advertisement

Anyone got the latest app for TV please? - can't download it off Ryan's website

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B787MtHYmgPna1RJM3VnUTc5S28/view?pref=2&pli=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Looking to play around with this box..
    One question is £15.99 good price with plex installed?
    Is says now TV box 2
    I know what I'm doing when I get the box
    Cheers
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/322216477195?_mwBanner=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

iggy wrote: »
    Is says now TV box 2
    I know what I'm doing when I get the box.
    Cheers

I would buy this with 6 Months Entertainment Pass , Which also includes Sky Sports News and Sky Catchup , Installing Plex takes 5 mins.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Month-Entertainment-Pass/dp/B016WGF9O2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470470119&sr=8-1&keywords=nowtv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

iggy wrote: »
    Is says now TV box 2
    I know what I'm doing when I get the box.
    Cheers

Here is plex for now tv:
    https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases

Install using the instructions I posted above for installing filmontv app. Do not unzip the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

If in doubt there are excellent YouTube videos on how to install Plex. It really is very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Vidcon

I tried reading as much of this thread as possible to find an answer but I hope its ok to ask a question.
    I got a nowtv box and 6mth pass from amazon. I've signed up to a free trial using uk address and an Irish card.
    Do I cancel the trial straight away and then log back in and add the pass voucher code?
    Or do I add the pass first and then cancel something?

Sorry for asking what is probably obvious.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

rogercross wrote: »

Cheers Rog, my first use of the USB drive and it's a fantastic addition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Bought a black now TV box from eBay. It comes with plex installed.
    I will be using it for plex mostly. Do I still need to create an account before I use it?
    If so can I use my parcel motel as my UK address and use my Irish credit card?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Vidcon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I picked one up this morning too. Will be interested to see it the Digital tuner works here (think it should but will report back)

Advertisement