Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

sham69 wrote: »
    did anyone have any success with this?
    I have a custom file on my mac but the page linked is looking for a URL?
    Any advice?
    Thanks.

Is the file a .m3u file?

If so, then right click on it and open with notepad. Then copy one of the address's into the linked page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

For free entertainment pass for one month ENTFT (From HUKD)

Time to complete few box sets...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I thought Now TV doesnt work in Ireland? I tried to sign up and it only offered UK address to enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I thought Now TV doesnt work in Ireland? I tried to sign up and it only offered UK address to enter?

Put any UK address in and use your Irish Bank card.

iggy wrote: »
    Put any UK address in and use your Irish Bank card.

ah ffs, im too late to use the free passes now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

any codes to knock a few quid off the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hi all has anyone got a black NOW TV BOX to sell before i order one in the uk

ah ffs, im too late to use the free passes now!

woohoo, voucher still valid and so is the entertainment one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

woohoo, voucher still valid and so is the entertainment one!

I just got voucher not valid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Del007 wrote: »
    Is the file a .m3u file?

If so, then right click on it and open with notepad. Then copy one of the address's into the linked page

cheers for the reply.
    Yes it is, i can do that.
    So does that mean you can only call one channel at a time?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

sham69 wrote: »
    cheers for the reply.
    Yes it is, i can do that.
    So does that mean you can only call one channel at a time?
    Thanks.

Ya as far as I can tell it's only 1 channel at a time which is a total pain

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

massy086 wrote: »
    hi all has anyone got a black NOW TV BOX to sell before i order one in the uk

Yeah I have one I never use of you're interested. Just got it for the voucher that came with it, never actually used the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

Has anybody tried to sideload Emby onto these.
    Whats it like?
    I have an old nowtv box and it looks like you cant sideload any newer versions of plex onto them.
    I could stick with the older version for now but some day that wont work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

_kookie wrote: »
    Has anybody tried to sideload Emby onto these.
    Whats it like?
    I have an old nowtv box and it looks like you cant sideload any newer versions of plex onto them.
    I could stick with the older version for now but some day that wont work anymore.
    https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

Apologies if this has already been asked, but what dns provider do people use with virgin. I signed up for smartdnsproxy.com but I can only change the dns settings on individual devices not the router. It's something to do with virgin runs on IPv6 and smartdnsproxy only runs on IPv4.....: I don't know what any of this means.
    Is there a way to change the dns settings on the now tv box itself or is there another DNS provider that works with IPv6 ?
    At the minute I can access now tv through my pc and phone and iPad but not the actual now tv box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

photochain wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been asked, but what dns provider do people use with virgin. I signed up for smartdnsproxy.com but I can only change the dns settings on individual devices not the router. It's something to do with virgin runs on IPv6 and smartdnsproxy only runs on IPv4.....: I don't know what any of this means.
    Is there a way to change the dns settings on the now tv box itself or is there another DNS provider that works with IPv6 ?
    At the minute I can access now tv through my pc and phone and iPad but not the actual now tv box.

There are settings in some routers to change the DNS & there are settings that are not.

Now TV can't be changed on their own box because Roku who makes them won't allow it on their devices.

I have an Apple TV Box and can change the DNS on that in the settings to get Now working without any restriction on ITV Encore or ITV Box sets etc.

You can then download ITV & BBC players to your IPad/IPhone and airplay to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

photochain wrote: »

If that's the virgin media hub 3 white box then there's no option to change the DNS settings on it, they've also removed the option to put it in bridge mode (or what they had called modem mode), from it. I tried several dns services for the iPlayer etc manually on the laptop and none seemed to work on that equipment.

As Chris says above the now tv boxes take their DNS from the router.

rogercross wrote: »
    If that's the virgin media hub 3 white box then there's no option to change the DNS settings on it, they've also removed the option to put it in bridge mode (or what they had called modem mode), from it. I tried several dns services for the iPlayer etc manually on the laptop and none seemed to work on that equipment.

As Chris says above the now tv boxes take their DNS from the router.

Rog, you can turn off your wireless on the 3.0 and feed into another router without issues. Just need to take DHCP on the second box & give it a static address yourself.

I'm sure you could change the DNS then depending on the second box's settings

Rog, you can turn off your wireless on the 3.0 and feed into another router without issues. Just need to take DHCP on the second box & give it a static address yourself.

I'm sure you could change the DNS then depending on the second box's settings

It's true I could feed another access point in but that doesn't solve the ipv6 allocated ip from virgin that stops dns redirect services working for a lot of sites including bbc unfortunately.

It's true I could feed another access point in but that doesn't solve the ipv6 allocated ip from virgin that stops dns redirect services working for a lot of sites including bbc unfortunately.

I'm on IPV6 too but I still use smartdns in my tv and ipad/phone for NBC without problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

Thanks for that I have an Apple TV so changed the DNS in that and switched it to the U.K. So the now tv app is there, it's a pity the players like bbc and all don't show up but like you said I can mirror from the iPad. Thanks so much for your help.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you PM Virgin support here on their boards forum, they will switch you over to IPv4 and you can then also put the modem in bridge mode.

bk wrote: »
    If you PM Virgin support here on their boards forum, they will switch you over to IPv4 and you can then also put the modem in bridge mode.

People on those boards have also said that it gets switched back randomly to ipv6 so its not reliable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

People on those boards have also said that it gets switched back randomly to ipv6 so its not reliable.

That very seldom happens, I have only heard of it happening when people get a new modem and one other time when they did a bad firmware upgrade of the modems, which they quickly reversed a few days later. Another quick PM quickly sorts it. It certainly isn't something that happens regularly.

I've been on ipv4 and bridge mode for years now and haven't had a single issue with it, works great. I certainly wouldn't say it is random or unreliable!

By far the best ISP in Ireland.

You can find my guide here in the Broadband forum on how to do bridging and other issues with Virgin:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For some reason, I can't access the Now TV box to sideload Filmon as I normally would.

I have the UK address, and when I enter it in my browser, I get an "unreachable" message.

Any ideas guys?

Edit: Got it going. In case it might help someone else, what the problem was, the Now TV was connected to an ethernet connection while my phone was on wifi. Seemingly the couldn't communicate that way. When I reconnected Now TV to wifi, it worked straight away

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    For some reason, I can't access the Now TV box to sideload Filmon as I normally would.

I have the UK address, and when I enter it in my browser, I get an "unreachable" message.

Any ideas guys?

Edit: Got it going. In case it might help someone else, what the problem was, the Now TV was connected to an ethernet connection while my phone was on wifi. Seemingly the couldn't communicate that way. When I reconnected Now TV to wifi, it worked straight away

Never used a phone to update a now box Gerry but I've often used a lappy wireless to do it while the Now TV was connected via ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

What do people think of the new Smart Boxes ? Will they work with Saorview ? they look very fancy and are £35 on Amazon today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Smart-Month-Entertainment/dp/B01ICTFE60?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Rockin wrote: »
    What do people think of the new Smart Boxes ? Will they work with Saorview ? they look very fancy and are £35 on Amazon today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Smart-Month-Entertainment/dp/B01ICTFE60?

Good price.

Saorview working good even with weak signal on an internal aerial. There is a sequence code that can be typed to check signal strength. However cannot delete a lot of spare unused channels Saorview take up. This can be annoying when scrolling through.

Box a little noisy in quiet environment when fan on after significant use but better processor than previous boxes. Very large size in comparison to previous boxes. Having the ability to pause live channels for up to 30 minutes and rewind function is useful.

Runs Filmon side load app well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭BandMember

WIZWEB wrote: »
    Saorview working good even with weak signal on an internal aerial.

Have you managed to pick up any non-Saorview channels or UK FTA channels with that aerial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

BandMember wrote: »
    Have you managed to pick up any non-Saorview channels or UK FTA channels with that aerial?

Wouldn't even try with my Cats Ears here in Dublin! That aside there's a great selection of them on the Filmon app.

Advertisement