Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭billbond4

Any codes to get NOWTV discounted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

https://shop.nowtv.com/?DCMP=AFC_jan13_nowtv_affiliate_all_wk29

I bought this basically because i think people will mod the S*it out off it, and only 12 euro .
    I used Parcel Motel to get it posted :)
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/
    Enjoy

About the device:
    This streamer is designed to sell you Sky Movies subscription and Sky Sports day passes but it will also run a number of free apps such as :

Sky News
    BBC News
    BBC iPlayer
    Demand 5
    Spotify
    Facebook
    VEVO and many more

What we know so far:

- Hardware is a rebadged Roku LT (Sky is an investor in Roku) designed to give access to Sky Movies and SKy Sports for those without a Sky dish (by using your broadband). It streams via wireless at upto 720p only.

- To use the box you will need a Now TV account (which is free) and this will give access to non-subscription apps such as iPlayer & 5OD. The free services will work even if you dont have a subscription or if you subscription has lapsed.

- To view Sky Movies or Sky Sports you will need a Now TV subscription (not free!) however there is a 30 day free trial at present.

Techradar review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/digital-tv-receivers/now-tv-box-1168788/review

For those asking about hacks, nothing yet confirmed.

PS. I did copy this from HUKD. Thanks.

Thanks for this thread OP.

Mine came today and I managed to get plex installed via youtube lessons.

Got the free month also. Wish I got in on time for the cheap movie deal.

This little box has really caught the interest of the kids in the house. Best 10er I ever spent.

I wish I could get eurosport player subscription to work on it though. I still have to plug my laptop into the TV for the bike racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kemar

Great Bargain - mine arrived today at Parcel post, thanks to OP, just going mad I missed the 6 month offer

I have a quick question , for the free month, when you cancel before the end of the month , skys policy is that you usually get caught to pay for a month in advance anyway , so therefore you probably end up paying the 8.99 anyway as opposed to free! anyone cancel and end paying nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Cheers OP, mine is waiting in parcel motel for collection. Now to decide which room this gadget goes in!! My wife thinks I have gone nuts, the last couple of months I have bought an Artic MC001 for OpenElec XBMC in the sitting room, a MyGica 510B for the playroom/second sitting room and now this!..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Any idea where to find an av cable for connecting this to a non HDMI TV ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

long_b wrote: »

Old nokia AV to RGB would probably work, if i locate one I will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003OSPS8Y

Think this is the one.

Davy wrote: »
    Old nokia AV to RGB would probably work, if i locate one I will let you know

Ah that's cool - have one of them I'll pretty sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jim Division

I think you can request one through the NowTV website & they'll post it to you.

I think you can request one through the NowTV website & they'll post it to you.

Great spot !!
    http://help.nowtv.com/HelpArticle?id=kA1G0000000CuLl&topicKey=All&selectedTopicKey=

The box outputs NTSC .... Hmmmm

• Advertisement

Is the free month really free if you cancel ? I am beginning to think I have just been caught for it either way. I says if you cancel early you will not avail of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

brokenarms wrote: »
    Is the free month really free if you cancel ? I am beginning to think I have just been caught for it either way. I says if you cancel early you will not avail of the deal.

i've been putting off claiming my free month, can i hang on to it until christmas? think it would be fierce handy around then

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

i think i have one of those cables at home i can try it out tonight and let you know if it works.

the cable i have has the three outs (yellow, red and white) and a 3.5mm headphone looking jack on the other end

it says mini-jack might not have one of those but i'll check.

I think it means you don't avail of the 8.99/month offer for 3 months after that if you cancel as its normally15 quid.

I still think/hope you get the 1st month free.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

you dont have to cancel, you can just untick auto renew..

Have to say the ability to side load the plex app on this makes it a top class media client and is well worth the purchase alone!

Also the amount of content you can side load on to this is amazing , last night I must have spent 2 hours just messing with it. An amazing deal! Best purchase I had in a while , actually thinking of getting another one for upstairs!:)

Its not a media server, its a media client

billbond4 wrote: »
    Its not a media server, its a media client

Thats what I said??? although I was speaking about plex and not the NOwtv box .. anyway just edited ..cheers:)

No probs, im just looking of ways of getting a cheap media server maybe something like Raspberry Pi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Kemar wrote: »
    Have to say the ability to side load the plex app on this makes it a top class media client and is well worth the purchase alone!

Also the amount of content you can side load on to this is amazing , last night I must have spent 2 hours just messing with it. An amazing deal! Best purchase I had in a while , actually thinking of getting another one for upstairs!:)
    this post intrigues me, you are talking about the now box and extra apps or something?

• Advertisement

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    this post intrigues me, you are talking about the now box and extra apps or something?
    ?
    That is what the whole thread is about.

He is right also. Best buy I have made in a long time. I did not know how good a media streamer could be till now. Plex really has made Utorrent worth the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Hugh Cream wrote: »

Run plex server on a pc/mac/nas device on your network.
    http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/index.php

Then install the plex app on nowtv box.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQBcbVLWZc

other apps available in roku store on the nowtv box

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

For people wondering about the free PS plus membership when you watch 90mins of stuff on nowtv, it has to be shipped to an address in Northern Ireland; there's no way to ship it to Ireland (no..BT1 1AA wont work :P )

Anyway, since it's worth €15 (to me anyway) i got it shipped to Parcel Motel.
    It's an actual blu ray box with the code (the ones the shops sell)
    It has a GB flag on the top, so I'm presuming it won't work in Ireland :mad:
    If i cant sell it, ill try it when i get my PS4 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

?
    That is what the whole thread is about.

He is right also. Best buy I have made in a long time. I did not know how good a media streamer could be till now. Plex really has made Utorrent worth the trouble.

Agree 100% - never saw the virtues of streaming anything before this ... The interface and customised metadata are enough of a reason but resolution quality and particularly sound (from flat panel speakers) have been superb with everything so far. If Sky brick Plex I'll be shifting to Roku or a new LG Medialink TV.
    Thanks OP a real bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Probably been asked but can it play Netflix?

Don't fancy paying 50 euro for an android media player stick just to play netflix or buying a smart tv :D

Any bargain alerts solution.

Have a 5m hdmi cable at the moment linked to laptop :)

Chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

RoverZT wrote: »
    Probably been asked but can it play Netflix?

No, it cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Has anyone been able to register for the Sky Sports day pass? My boss tried it on Saturday and says it won't let him use an Irish credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Happened upon live transmission of Liverpool v Aston Villa match on Saturday evening on NBC. Great yoke this for a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I reckon NBC will be showing every live Saturday match at 5.30pm & we will be able to get it through the Roku box. Best value for money going!

• Advertisement

I reckon NBC will be showing every live Saturday match at 5.30pm & we will be able to get it through the Roku box. Best value for money going!

You can watch for free using the ustv app?

Advertisement