Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

So, can somebody walk me through this please, I am currently on a 30 day trial and would like to take advantage of this Groupon deal, what is involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

gtg60 wrote: »
    So, can somebody walk me through this please, I am currently on a 30 day trial and would like to take advantage of this Groupon deal, what is involved?

I think you need to create a new account and then sign up for the £15 deal. It's probably a discount code you paste in when it asks to "Add Voucher Code".

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

hooked it to the parents old tv. picked up these on amazon. picture is in black and white !?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Signal-3-5mm-Phono-Composite/dp/B003OSPS8Y/ref=pd_sim_ce_4
    wrong cable, or old tv?

even when I hook up the PS3 to their TV so my parents can use Hulu+ and US Netflix, Hulu will only broadcast in the same grainy b&w that the now box is stuck in.

time for an upgrade....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

kaerobe wrote: »
    hooked it to the parents old tv. picked up these on amazon. picture is in black and white !?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Signal-3-5mm-Phono-Composite/dp/B003OSPS8Y/ref=pd_sim_ce_4
    wrong cable, or old tv?

even when I hook up the PS3 to their TV so my parents can use Hulu+ and US Netflix, Hulu will only broadcast in the same grainy b&w that the now box is stuck in.

time for an upgrade....

I think it outputs NTSC which is the American Video format. Most TVs are able to handle both, but older ones might not be able to.

If your PS3 is Irish i don't know what is up with that, maybe its trying to output 60hz or something. Have you tried changing the video settings on the PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

I think it outputs NTSC which is the American Video format. Most TVs are able to handle both, but older ones might not be able to.

If your PS3 is Irish i don't know what is up with that, maybe its trying to output 60hz or something. Have you tried changing the video settings on the PS3?

Hulu plus is the only problem with the PS3. Both boxes are fine, in HD and colour when I used HDMI on the other TV. Just my parents tractor cant seem to handle what I am guessing us NTSC. Hulu Plus is not meant for outside US, where as Netflix US works here fine.

Both PS3 and NOW box have been set to 4:3 and I selected composite/scart as output

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sir_love

Thanks to the OP

I got my Now TV last week - only got time to look at it now. Wi-fi signal is good. i use it upstairs - UPC standard modem downstairs

I installed plex server on my laptop and downloaded the navi-x, ice-films and some other unsupported one. Used navi-x last night to watch HD film. Streaming excellent. sound a bit off but that could be my tv

What other plugins are recommended on plex?

What is the easiest way to get iplayer without changing my DNS settins on my router?

Plan is to move plex server to HP server - boards is costing me a fortune and then run plex off tv now box and have a ouya box running xbmc for downstairs - cheap and cheerful

PLex looks good from streaming content from your account while you are away. Did i mis read that or is it true?

Anyway thanks to everyone for sharing the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

sir_love wrote: »
    What is the easiest way to get iplayer without changing my DNS settins on my router?

Move to the UK!

The NowTV box can only get it's IP settings via DHCP so it's the simplest option really, as always I heartily recommend Unblock Us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Order one. Now lets see if I can get side load it with Plex when it arrives and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Im finding my CPU is running at 99% when using HD on plex. Once the laptop gets hot it starts buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Are you using the laptop as a Server?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Firstly a huge thank you to the OP for this. One of the best bargains i've come accross. Box was shipped saturday, arrived in Parcel Motel Thursday and the collection Point Friday (Today). Created a free Now Tv account no bother. I installed Plex through Dev Mode and added the SS-Plex Plugin. Absolutely delighted with the result. All thats left to get now is a NAS box, as i cannot have my Laptop on 24/7 for plex to work! Thanks guys for telling me about Plex, I hadn't heard of it before this thread, and now im streaming my media collection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Been using it now since Wednesday, watched multiple movies already on the 30 day Sky Movies trial. Great box and for £10. HDMI cable is about 3 metres long, as is the power cable. Remote has fair range and the 720p quality is as good as it gets :)

Thanks OP!

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Are you using the laptop as a Server?

I think so It where the files are and the plex program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

brokenarms wrote: »
    I think so It where the files are and the plex program.

transcoding hd is a bit of an ask on the laptop, excessive heat in laptop = premature soldering issues especially bgas and harddisk death. If its all you have then try 720p.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Anyone else thinks that the Sky Movies (free trial) don't look very good. It's not an issue with the connection. I have no buffering or anything like that but the colers look very washed out in the 2 Movies I watched (Ted and something else)

I would say even the Revision3 channels look much better even though they are not 720p. The HD Movie Trailers in one of the Roku apps also look great and they are HD.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same impression.

The box itself is absolutely great and with Plex (plus all the plex plugins) it's the best purchase I have made in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

FYI on people looking for plugins to get 4oD netflix etc http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/75104-adding-4od/

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

FYI on people looking for plugins to get 4oD netflix etc http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/75104-adding-4od/ [/QUOTE]

Currently Mac Only:
    "Netflix (US): the channel is back, but only available on Mac PMS + Mac desktop client.

4oD (UK): has been changed to Mac PMS+Mac desktop client only due to all kinds of compatibility (webkit, argh!!) problems with other server and/or clients platforms."

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/75265-readme-first-broken-andor-problematic-channels/

FYI on people looking for plugins to get 4oD netflix etc http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/75104-adding-4od/

Cant see those apps on my plex

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Plex confuses me

What kind of apps can i get on it?

\what does this Navi x app do for me?

I am also having trouble connecting plex on my laptop to plex on my now tv box.

This is where I got my plugins :) Tonnes of them here. The RTE one is there, but doesn't work :(
    https://github.com/plexinc-plugins

When you want one, click it and then "Download as ZIP" then copy the extracted folder to the Plex Plug-ins folder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I'm just after reading this whole thread, but I still have a couple of questions.

I'm only going to be using this only for the TV apps (I presume like a lot of people). Is there any other boxes that would be better for that purpose i.e. more apps available (I don't mind paying a bit more). I've seen people mention Artic MC001, MyGica 510B, LG Medialink TV etc...

I watched the video on how to get Plex onto the Box and I understand you can use it to stream stuff from your laptop to the box. Is Plex used to load on some of the TV apps which aren't initially available? If so does the laptop need to be running when using these TV apps or is it a case of once they're in the box that only the box needs to be turned on?

Thanks in advance!

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I watched the video on how to get Plex onto the Box and I understand you can use it to stream stuff from your laptop to the box. Is Plex used to load on some of the TV apps which aren't initially available?
    If you mean plug-ins, then yes. There are some available in the link I posted in my last post here.
    If so does the laptop need to be running when using these TV apps or is it a case of once they're in the box that only the box needs to be turned on?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, the PC needs to be on and connected to the same WiFi network as the NowTV Box. The NowTV box only has a memory storage size of ~300MB so it just streams it from your laptop. It's Internet TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I'm just after reading this whole thread, but I still have a couple of questions.

I'm only going to be using this only for the TV apps (I presume like a lot of people). Is there any other boxes that would be better for that purpose i.e. more apps available (I don't mind paying a bit more). I've seen people mention Artic MC001, MyGica 510B, LG Medialink TV etc...

I watched the video on how to get Plex onto the Box and I understand you can use it to stream stuff from your laptop to the box. Is Plex used to load on some of the TV apps which aren't initially available? If so does the laptop need to be running when using these TV apps or is it a case of once they're in the box that only the box needs to be turned on?

Thanks in advance!

I am a bit of a media junkie myself. I have the Artic MC001 in the sitting room, The MyGica 510B in the toyroom and just purchased The NowTV box recently :D The NowTV box is a great bargain but it isn't ideal running Plex on your laptop streaming to The NowTV box. But for 10 euro its a good bargain.

The MyGica 510B has turned out to be a fantastic purchase for me. It is more expensive but far easier to use. It comes pre-loaded with XBMC now! Fantastic for streaming, XBMC is fantastic, so many channels available. 1Channel, Sports Devil, Navi-X. A remote control comes with it and it is very quick and responsive once you use a skin like Confluence. Aeon skin wont work well on it, it gets very laggy.

The Artic MC001 is an upgrade on The MyGica510b. I use Openelec XBMC on a USB stick for the Artic, loads straight into XBMC in less than 20 seconds ready to go. Aeon skin works very well on The Artic and looks amazing! Alot of people would prefer The Artic to the MyGica but I have come to prefer The MyGica. It is just so quick and it is a lovely small tidy little device. Cheaper option too!

Just go to this site for all info on XBMC.

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Thanks very much IrishStuff09 & tony1980!

Sorry, I should clarify that when I asked if there are any other devices that would support more "TV Apps", I'm talking about TV Channel apps: 4OD and RTE Player etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Thanks OP, got mine from PM late last night late, plugged in, stuck Plex on it, excellent little Plex client running in minutes for €15 including hdmi cable. What's not to like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JohnJ94

So you have to have Plex running on a computer somewhere to access things like the Netflix Plex app, right? Not interested really that interested in leaving my PC in all the time but whatever, I'll get my 15 yoyos worth out of it. Is there any other apps that can be side loaded onto the thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

JohnJ94 wrote: »
    So you have to have Plex running on a computer somewhere to access things like the Netflix Plex app, right? Not interested really that interested in leaving my PC in all the time but whatever, I'll get my 15 yoyos worth out of it. Is there any other apps that can be side loaded onto the thing?

Or you could run plex media server from a NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

This is where I got my plugins :) Tonnes of them here. The RTE one is there, but doesn't work :(
    https://github.com/plexinc-plugins

When you want one, click it and then "Download as ZIP" then copy the extracted folder to the Plex Plug-ins folder.

Ive tried a few of those. I iunzipped and copied the folder tpo Plug ins under Plex. But nothing happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

jameshayes wrote: »
    Or you could run plex media server from a NAS

This is what I plan on doing. The power costs alone will save you money, and the effort of having to power on your PC each time.

Advertisement