Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Ive tried a few of those. I iunzipped and copied the folder tpo Plug ins under Plex. But nothing happens.

When you un-zipped the ZIP file, there should be a folder.
    e.g; say I want to install 4oD:

It should be "4oD.bundle-master", rename it to "4oD.bundle" and copy to the Plug-ins folder. Should work then, if you haven't already done that.

Some, such as Netflix just don't show up on the Roku version of Plex strangely, when they do on the desktop manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

It should be "4oD.bundle-master", rename it to "4oD.bundle" and copy to the Plug-ins folder. Should work then, if you haven't already done that.

Some, such as Netflix just don't show up on the Roku version of Plex strangely, when they do on the desktop manager.

Gotcha. I wasnt renaming them. Thanks for that.

Ps. Renamed them and they still arent even showing up on the desktop.

Is there a plugins folder somewhere im missing?

The one im using is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Guys how it is when it goes about streaming/playing from usb(is there any usb port?) 720p mkv or xvid files - any problems?
    Is it worth to replace my LG BD670 (I use it just to stream movies - mostly 720p or lower)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Can you give us a step by step laymans tuturial . I have unrared it and renamed. But it will not copy into myplex plug ins. I get a white web page with the files when it transfers .

brokenarms wrote: »
    Can you give us a step by step laymans tuturial . I have unrared it and renamed. But it will not copy into myplex plug ins. I get a white web page with the files when it transfers .

I can get them into the folder but they arent appearing in M y channels in plex

• Advertisement

Gotcha. I wasnt renaming them. Thanks for that.

Ps. Renamed them and they still arent even showing up on the desktop.

Is there a plugins folder somewhere im missing?

The one im using is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins"

Plugins folder: C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins

In the taskbar (on Windows) right click the Plex icon and "Open Plug-ins folder".

I can get them into the folder but they arent appearing in M y channels in plex

Yaeh. same here. ..

Hang on lads, I'll make a video on installing them.

Should be easy enough, just follow what I do. :)

Plugins folder: C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins

In the taskbar (on Windows) right click the Plex icon and "Open Plug-ins folder".

Thanks very much.
    That did the trick for me.
    You are a gent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So still no word on xbmc? :P

No, but I read that XBMC can only run on Linux based systems. Not sure if NowTV is based on Linux.

thanks.

But 40d bundle does not work . Dam it. It shows up on the computer, but not on the TV. What do I need to do? Please..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Not sure if this has been answered but is it possible to connect this to your laptops usb and then to your tv (so your computer screen shows up on the tv). I have no hdmi port on my laptop. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

padocon wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been answered but is it possible to connect this to your laptops usb and then to your tv (so your computer screen shows up on the tv). I have no hdmi port on my laptop. Thanks :)

Nope, it's nothing like this at all. As an aside if you have a VGA cable connection you can connect it to your TV that way. Or maybe a DVI connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

jameshayes wrote: »
    Or you could run plex media server from a NAS
    DubDJ wrote: »
    This is what I plan on doing. The power costs alone will save you money, and the effort of having to power on your PC each time.

I have PMS running on the Zyxel 310 NAS with a few plugins and it seems it doesn't have enough grunt to transcode any of the plugin channels for Plex on the NowTV, but works OK for the Samsung Smart Hub Plex client. It will also fail on local media. Weird.

Gulliver wrote: »
    I have PMS running on the Zyxel 310 NAS with a few plugins and it seems it doesn't have enough grunt to transcode any of the plugin channels for Plex on the NowTV, but works OK for the Samsung Smart Hub Plex client. It will also fail on local media. Weird.

Some clients can natively play more codecs and filetypes. In these cases PMS doesnt need to transcode, it does 'direct play' and just streams the files as is, which takes basically no CPU power.

I've been looking into a Synology, I'm still undecided but I've seen that some of the more high-end NAS systems can transcode. I suppose I'll wait and see, but hoping to have enough power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Some clients can natively play more codecs and filetypes. In these cases PMS doesnt need to transcode, it does 'direct play' and just streams the files as is, which takes basically no CPU power.

I was thinking that might be it. Had a bit of a read there and mkv isn't natively supported by the NowTV firmware whereas the RokuLT firmware has limited support. There's no way the NAS could handle transcoding.

I'm impressed that the smart TV can do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JohnGonne1

Folks, got one of these about a month ago - loving it. Got Plex sideloaded, updated plugins, and UnblockUs all through this thread, so many thanks to all contributors on this.

Being a novice, I'm interested in the idea of a NAS media server, can anyone provide some recommendations on a couple for ATV2 / NowTV box? or has anyone setup their NAS box already and can give feedback?
    Thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

JohnGonne1 wrote: »
    Folks, got one of these about a month ago - loving it. Got Plex sideloaded, updated plugins, and UnblockUs all through this thread, so many thanks to all contributors on this.

Being a novice, I'm interested in the idea of a NAS media server, can anyone provide some recommendations on a couple for ATV2 / NowTV box? or has anyone setup their NAS box already and can give feedback?
    Thks

I'm rockin this for my server needs:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86332511

God, I love Bargain Alerts.

JohnGonne1 wrote: »

Thks

Synology have a great reputation when it comes to NAS systems. I'm aiming to get a DS213j. Although I'll find out how it runs Plex first.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Personally been down the NAS road before. For the money, a cheap server like this HP beats the pants of any NAS. Much more powerful and flexible.
    Install Linux (Ubuntu etc.), following the many guides available online. This is coming from someone with little Linux experience, I'm no command line guru!!
    Great guide here:
    How to Build a Linux Media Server
    I've kept rough notes myself if anyones interested.
    Also in my experience, much better to use 2 drives where one is a backup (for example updated using BackInTime, which is like Apples Timevault) than running RAID1. Therefore accidental deletions etc. can be easily recovered, not blindly replicated! Experience once again:D

I have an old laptop with USB ext disks attached to it that I use as a server.
    Not good for much else, but it uses hardly any electricity.
    I must try and see if I can put plex on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Got me 2 more of these bad boys today ...

God bless Boards and Parcel Motel.

Thanks OP

Been looking around online for apps for this. And to install them the same way as Plex.

Found this, http://www.myvideobuzz.in/Account/Install.aspx . Haven't tried an installation but I will try :)

Also found this, nice discussion of hacking this thing. Not looking too good in terms of getting Roku firmware on this. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2384435&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure if it was here or the other thread (or possibly the xbmc forums), but the word is that the NowTV is fundamentally incapable of running XBMC to any functional degree, so nobody is even looking at it seriously as an option.

having said that, you don't need XBMC when you have plex. :)

might take a while to get your head around it, but once you get into it you'll never look back. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    not sure if it was here or the other thread (or possibly the xbmc forums), but the word is that the NowTV is fundamentally incapable of running XBMC to any functional degree, so nobody is even looking at it seriously as an option.

having said that, you don't need XBMC when you have plex. :)

might take a while to get your head around it, but once you get into it you'll never look back. ;)

I've heard the word plex being thrown around sometimes. It's bascially like Xbmc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I've heard the word plex being thrown around sometimes. It's bascially like Xbmc?

Yes

http://www.plexapp.com

• Advertisement

Cheers.
    Totally new to this plex thing. It says something about having to have a plexpass? ... or is there another more *ahem* way around that to get the most of it?

Advertisement