Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

tried new batteries. people suggested it was the contacts. tried wiggling the batteries but no luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On live chat with them now. They have suggested to get it sent back and replaced

Stick the batteries in lol

Embarrassingly enough that fixed the problem for me :(

i've had blond moments but that is not something i would admit on the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

godtabh wrote: »
    On live chat with them now. They have suggested to get it sent back and replaced

If you have an android phone, you could use an app to control it. This works well for me anyway since my remote was chewed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exavore.rokumote

If you have an android phone, you could use an app to control it. This works well for me anyway since my remote was chewed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exavore.rokumote

I havent been able to set up the box. Remoted has never worked so I have been stuck on the set up screen. Will this still work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I havent been able to set up the box. Remoted has never worked so I have been stuck on the set up screen. Will this still work?

Ah, sorry, not sure since my remote only died after set up. Free app though, so worth a punt?

need to sign on to it but cant! Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Got my box via PM about a month ago, free movies for a month, great box!! :P

Decided not to renew, finally got an email with a voucher for £3/month for 4 months.

So it pays to wait! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

marrm wrote: »
    Got my box via PM about a month ago, free movies for a month, great box!! :P

Decided not to renew, finally got an email with a voucher for £3/month for 4 months.

So it pays to wait! :cool:

Had an idea they would do something like that, what do boardies think of the Movies sofar ? dont think it would be Value for money @15€; per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Had an idea they would do something like that, what do boardies think of the Movies sofar ? dont think it would be Value for money @15€; per month.

Newer selection than Netflix but €15 is steep. Think I'll wait for an offer of €3 :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Newer selection than Netflix but €15 is steep. Think I'll wait for an offer of €3 :P

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Right complete newbie to this!!
    So bear with me what exactly can this be used for explain it in layman terms
    Thanks guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Used one of the hotdeals links from earlier and got 4 months sky movies for £3 a month. Runs out in the New year so I have all the Xmas movies for the kids. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

kaltz wrote: »
    Used one of the hotdeals links from earlier and got 4 months sky movies for £3 a month. Runs out in the New year so I have all the Xmas movies for the kids. :)

Thats my thinking my friend ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

need to sign on to it but cant! Oh well

I had some issues with my remote when I was trying to set it up too

I cant fully remember what I did to fix, but I think taking the plastic off the box its self helped (there is a clear plastic on the top of the box, but there is also one wrapped around the sides iirc) maybe give that a go?

I had some issues with my remote when I was trying to set it up too

I cant fully remember what I did to fix, but I think taking the plastic off the box its self helped (there is a clear plastic on the top of the box, but there is also one wrapped around the sides iirc) maybe give that a go?

Tried that. Didnt work. I think the dodgy remotes are fairly common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Couple of notes (don't think they've been mentioned yet?)

PlayTo works quite well for Android devices have only played with YouTube so far but it works perfectly though it's not full screen, and it seems you can get many online channels like dailymotion etc as well as accessing network servers. I found it confusing though - had to do a lot of messing to get it going and still not sure I have it right. Once it's playing, though, the white remote works to pause/play it so I'm not sure if the Now box is getting its streaming data from my Android phone or directly off the internet.

There are 2 remote control apps for Apple IOS:
    RMote which is completely free and duplicates the white remote but also allows direct access to the main menu channels, and a keyboard which might be of use when searching?

Roku Remote Lite which does the same except it costs 99c if you want direct channel access.

Note these two "remotes" operate over wifi so you could operate them from anywhere in the house whereas the white remote uses line-of-sight infrared I think. I don't know what good that might be but.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The cost will be £15.99 so it will probably be €20 when launched here.

edit: just checked the website and they seem to have removed the part where the price went to £8.99 for three months and then up to £15.99/month

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The cost will be £15.99 so it will probably be €20 when launched here.

edit: just checked the website and they seem to have removed the part where the price went to £8.99 for three months and then up to £15.99/month

Mentioned it earlier. The picture quality of the movies is pretty bad. I got 30 Mbit connection and I have no buffering issues at all. I think they are just using a bad/inefficient codec.

I am a person who wants to enjoy movies in great quality. Even though they have newer movies if the picture quality sux it's just no joy. Other ppl certainly disagree and for them newer movies is a priority. Hell there are ppl that still watch those theater movies that are copied via a cam so they can watch the newest movies.

For me it's currently worth about 5 E/month until the improve the picture quality. I have gotten the groupon deal for about 3E for the next 6 months and after that we will see.

Also the image quality is not just my concern but there are online reviews that agree. One reviewer said it's just a bit better than their SD quality SKY channels and nowhere near the quality of the SKY Movie channels.

Don't really understand why as Netflix provides great quality at 5Mbit - 7Mbit but as I said I think they are using a bad or inefficient codec.

That said decide for yourself. It's free for month anyways.

P.S. The box itself is absolutely great and a bargain for 10pounds. I have PLEX installed as many others and it makes it even better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

rh5555 wrote: »
    Mentioned it earlier. The picture quality of the movies is pretty bad. I got 30 Mbit connection and I have no buffering issues at all. I think they are just using a bad/inefficient codec.

I am a person who wants to enjoy movies in great quality. Even though they have newer movies if the picture quality sux it's just no joy. Other ppl certainly disagree and for them newer movies is a priority. Hell there are ppl that still watch those theater movies that are copied via a cam so they can watch the newest movies.

For me it's currently worth about 5 E/month until the improve the picture quality. I have gotten the groupon deal for about 3E for the next 6 months and after that we will see.

Also the image quality is not just my concern but there are online reviews that agree. One reviewer said it's just a bit better than their SD quality SKY channels and nowhere near the quality of the SKY Movie channels.

Don't really understand why as Netflix provides great quality at 5Mbit - 7Mbit but as I said I think they are using a bad or inefficient codec.

That said decide for yourself. It's free for month anyways.

P.S. The box itself is absolutely great and a bargain for 10pounds. I have PLEX installed as many others and it makes it even better.

Seems to be really sensitive to ping or jitter as I changed providers and with the same speed get a far far better picture. It seems to kick down the bitrate for ages with a blip in speed like your kids watching cat videos on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Go into the not-so-sekrit menus - under the wireless part i think you can set the speed manually ( can't remember fully )

Secret Menus

Home x3 Up x2, Right, Left, Right, Left – Developer Installer

Home x5, FF x3, RW x2 – Change the settings of the Channel Store Server & Software Update Server

Home x5 FF, Play, RW, Play, FF – Brings up the Wifi Settings

Home x3 Up x2, Left, Right, Left, Right – Lists all the channels installed and their versions

Home x5, RW x3, FF x2 – Access Roku Debug/Bandwith Cap Screen

Up x2, Down x2, Up x3, Down x3 – Roku 3 Enable Speakers Plus Headphone Jack Toggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

gctest50 wrote: »
    Go into the not-so-sekrit menus - under the wireless part i think you can set the speed manually ( can't remember fully )

Home button 5 times, fast-forward, play, rewind, play, fast-forward

This will take you to the Platform Secret Screen.

From there you can perform:

System Reboot
    Disable Network Pings
    Access WiFi Secret Screen

From the WiFi Secret Screen, you can:

Its nothing to do with network, wifi, broadband speed (once over 3M), router, isp its just a rubbish implementation of whatever technology underpins the service. Loads of threads about it on the sky forums people with astronomical connections getting vhs quality pictures. In comparison I had a fine picture on netflix, iplayer, 40d etc. etc. with only a 3M connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no trouble with my picture at all here, crystal clear on everything i've streamed on nowtv so far, easily as good a quality as my locally played downloaded HDTV content, if not better, no blockies at all.

that said, it's connected (over wifi) to a 100mbps FTTH internet connection, so that may have something to do with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

No problems here except for my old 7 year old Vaio laptop heating up like a toaster . Then buffers. Only in very good HD movies though.

This really does suit a modern I3 processor. The other laptop in the house takes it in its stride.

Picture is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

if i was to order today to have delivered to a london hotel address, would it be there by Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i ordered at 11am on 23 aug and it was delivered in london on 28 aug.
    (technically 4 working days over a weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Musical Horse Race

Been lurking on this thread for a while and just wanted to say thanks to the OP. This device with Plex installed is fantastic.

Just need to get a hard drive for my NAS (another bargain alert :)), install plex on that and I'm laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

I got my NowTV Box yesterday. Ordered it and got it shipped to my Parcel Motel. I got a message on Friday saying that i had no credit in the motel, which was a pain (my fault) but when topped up, i got it yesterday. Ordered on Tuesday last week, so 3-4 days aint bad...

Got it out of the box yesterday, hooked up to wifi and then installed Plex. works perfectly! got Plex running on a i7 Mac mini, and it has no problem streaming video. All good and a very happy camper i am!

Anyone know where you would get your hands on the AV cables for it? I have a TV in the dining room where the excersise bike is, but no HDMI on it... thinking of ordering a few more also... you can never have enough of them, can you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

lotas wrote: »
    Anyone know where you would get your hands on the AV cables for it? I have a TV in the dining room where the excersise bike is, but no HDMI on it... thinking of ordering a few more also... you can never have enough of them, can you! :)

There's a link somewhere in here to a NowTV webpage where you can order the required AV cable free AFAIR

Advertisement