Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

As anybody used a usb to ethernet cable with a had drive and are they anygood? Or is there any other cheapish method that wouldnt require my laptop on 24/7 to host plex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    As anybody used a usb to ethernet cable with a had drive and are they anygood? Or is there any other cheapish method that wouldnt require my laptop on 24/7 to host plex?

Your laptop isn't just acting as a dumb hard drive, you'll need a decent nas:
    http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

vibe666 wrote: »
    i missed the 6 month offer so just had to make do with the 30 day trial (which is up now). anyone know if there's any more trials or codes going to get any kind of a discount on this? £8.99 is a bit steep for what they have imho, particularly compared to netflix etc.

Student offer £4.99 pm http://www.nowtv.com/promo/studentoffer?referrer=studentoffer&DCMP=erd_sept_13_NowTV_studentoffer

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Is anyone else having problems with the SS-plex bundle (within Plex itself)? About two days ago it stopped streaming movies and tv shows. The list updates fine but when i try to play a video it either does nothing or says the video is unavailable or in an unsupported format. Earlier in the week a reboot of plex would get the video to play, but now nothing plays. Video files stored locally still stream fine through plex.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coolbreeze72

Lovely little box. Plex up and running in a few mins and quality is surprisingly very good :-) about to order a 2nd one for the Kids TV room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Parcel Motel are pushing these now on facebook.

I hope SKY take a positive view on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

brokenarms wrote: »
    Parcel Motel are pushing these now on facebook.

I hope SKY take a positive view on it.

Suppose it's all money in the bank regardless of who buys them. Doubt they make a loss on the units themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Doubt they make a loss on the units themselves.

You're kidding me?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Surely they do. The HDMI cable alone could be worth £9, the box is £35 (Roku LT) and the power cable could be worth anything?

Surely they do. The HDMI cable alone could be worth £9, the box is £35 (Roku LT) and the power cable could be worth anything?

Yeah sure to buy them all separately it would cost you that much but how much does it actually cost them to make each unit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Yeah sure to buy them all separately it would cost you that much but how much does it actually cost them to make each unit?

Estimates of about 47 USD for materials for a Roku 2 XS from 2011

http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/2255/roku-2-xs-3100r-digital-media-adapter-teardown

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

9 quid? remind me never to go HDMI cable shopping with you! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Gold-plated, super speed ethernet carrying HDMI cable no doubt :D

Can you get "Movies 24" on this with one of the Sky deals? Would love to have the "Christmas 24" channel (even though the films are rubbish probably)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Anyone with Magnet broadband find out about how to get BBC iPlayer to work on it here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Unblockus, tunnelbear , there are loads of options.

Unblockus, tunnelbear , there are loads of options.

That works for trying to browse iplayer on the desktop but not the actual box itself. Any ideas on how I can get it to work on the NowTv box?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

That works for trying to browse iplayer on the desktop but not the actual box itself. Any ideas on how I can get it to work on the NowTv box?

This should sort you. http://tunlr.net/

Thanks, followed the instructions but still had no luck unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Tunlr does fine for me on desktop but not on the box.

Unblock-Us is a (pay) VPN that works with it #154 & #286

• Advertisement

"...could...." be worth £9...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Two quick questions (and I have read all of the thread)
    1. Is there a way to stop automatic updates (to prevent Sky disabling Plex in future)

2. I have a Thompson router with UPC. Could I use Unblock-US to allow me to access the BBC Player

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭metroburgers

Please Mod create a sticky.... :eek:

Thanks to OP, fantastic bargain! I read through the whole thread which was kinda unnecessary... basic guide/sticky would be really helpful and avoid re-posts query's e.g.

@WHL, See post No.130 - "You can just turn off auto update."
    WHL wrote: »
    Two quick questions (and I have read all of the thread)
    1. Is there a way to stop automatic updates (to prevent Sky disabling Plex in future)

I bought one of these just so I can play with Plex for the first time. I don't suppose there's a good deal on for a Sky sub on it at the moment? Something that I can have for Christmas ideally please! Thank you.

I keep checking this thread to see if anyone has come up with any new ways to hack it.

But it is just a rehash of previous posts from post 100 on.

I keep checking this thread to see if anyone has come up with any new ways to hack it.

But it is just a rehash of previous posts from post 100 on.

Just looking at possible apps that can be installed through dev-mode on the box.

Found this. Tutorial here

Just looking at possible apps that can be installed through dev-mode on the box.

Found this. Tutorial here

Looks nice, I'll give it a go and report back. May not be any handier than the playto app though.

Also found more secret menus

Secret Platform Screen: (temp monitor)
    Home:5x, FF:1x, Play:1x, RW:1x, Play:1x, FF:1x

Secret Screen: This one here is nifty, you can change the Roku Store Server API :P Tried all, some load infinitely and some crash. Bugger
    Home:5x, FF:3x, Rewind:2x

Installed software versions screen
    Home:3x, Up:2x, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left

Enable developer mode
    Home:3x, Up:2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right

Quality settings screen/Bitrate Screen: (set bitrates)
    Home:5x, Rewind:3x, FF:2x

Reboot (will take a few moments for screen to reboot)
    Home:5x, Up:1x, Rewind: 2x, FF: 2x

EDIT: Installed MediaBrowser on the box fine, but don't have Windoze Media Centre on Windows 8 :pac:

• Advertisement

EDIT: Installed MediaBrowser on the box fine, but don't have Windoze Media Centre on Windows 8 :pac:

When you were adding the server what port did you use?

Advertisement