Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

A positive development & defo worth looking into the subscription at that promo price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

I still haven't bought one of these things. Keep coming back to this thread but back out.

Can some kind soul post a summary of what you get for the money, what you can subscribe to, what you can install, if you need to mess with router settings for iPlayer, etc.?

The latest £4.99 offer has raised my interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Your a tough punter to please,, read the thread and you'll get your info. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Soarer wrote: »
    I still haven't bought one of these things. Keep coming back to this thread but back out.

Can some kind soul post a summary of what you get for the money, what you can subscribe to, what you can install, if you need to mess with router settings for iPlayer, etc.?

The latest £4.99 offer has raised my interest!

I just got it last week. So far I've gotten no use out of the Sky channels etc. I have set up plex on it and put plex media server on my laptop. That way I can access the various movies/programmes I have on my laptop through plex on the nowtv box. The quality is bang on and I've had no technical difficulties - there's a youtube clip on how to sideload plex on one of the early pages of this thread. So far plex is the only thing I've really made use of and personally I'd say that's well worth the €12 (plus €3.50 parcel motel). I have the CBS channel through plex but I haven't bothered messing with my router settings to use that or BBC iplayer.

You can subscribe to Sky movies (rate depends on deals) or sky sports (typically £10 per day) and now you can get the £4.99 a month deal which gives you access to series you'd typically see on Sky Atlantic etc. There are a few other channels through Roku and there's 5on demand but I haven't even looked at it tbh to establish if it is worth it.

By the way - thanks OP - I'm finding it great for plex if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't get why they're pushing it (effectively exclusively) as an 'alternative' to having a full blown sky subscription with a sky+ box, and not as an add-on to your existing sky subscription to open up more options for multiroom viewing for existing customers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭metroburgers

To add Youtube on your NowTV box without side loading plex.

Simply enable Developer Access, follow this link, and enjoy!

Hopefully more apps will become available this way, as I couldn't be arsed linking up my laptop/PC for plex. Can I recommend Hoop Dreams on youtube, superb basketball documentary...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

To add Youtube on your NowTV box without side loading plex.

Simply enable Developer Access, follow this link, and enjoy!

Hopefully more apps will become available this way, as I couldn't be arsed linking up my laptop/PC for plex. Can I recommend Hoop Dreams on youtube, superb basketball documentary...

Can you sideload more than one app or will you have to remove plex to get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

only one app - plex would have to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Only one at a time so it will remove Plex :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Ah crap, bye bye youtube. Get back there plex

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

vibe666 wrote: »
    i don't get why they're pushing it (effectively exclusively) as an 'alternative' to having a full blown sky subscription with a sky+ box, and not as an add-on to your existing sky subscription to open up more options for multiroom viewing for existing customers. :(
    In fairness, all the content Sky are adding to NowTV is available to Sky subscribers already (if you're subscribed to the right packages) through Sky On Demand and Sky Go. Have to say, I'm still on their £1 Movie promotion through NowTV and rarely use it. Actually realising how bad films have been the last couple of years - only a handful of "blockbusters" in find worth watching.

Sky have the licences and rights to all this fantastic content, but haven't a clue what to do with it, without disrupting their traditional Pay TV model. They know they have to compete with Netflix, but can't get the price right, or channel it to consumers properly. It all seems thrown against the wall, odd pricing structures, limited access of their Apps, releasing the cheap NowTV Box hoping to convince consumers, etc. They need a better strategy for this to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

Anybody having problems signing into the Now TV account?
    I have to follow the link in the op to even open they're site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Ah crap, bye bye youtube. Get back there plex

You can get youtube via a plex addin.
    Ain't pretty but IIRC it works OK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dman001 wrote: »
    In fairness, all the content Sky are adding to NowTV is available to Sky subscribers already (if you're subscribed to the right packages) through Sky On Demand and Sky Go. Have to say, I'm still on their £1 Movie promotion through NowTV and rarely use it. Actually realising how bad films have been the last couple of years - only a handful of "blockbusters" in find worth watching.
    yes, but if i want to watch any of that on the TV that I have connected to my nowTV box, I need to run cables and get an extra sky box with a multiroom subscription, which is a waste of time, resources and money when I already have the nowTV box sitting there.

i'd love to see sky anytime and/or sky go on the nowTV, as well as the remote record planner.

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes, but if i want to watch any of that on the TV that I have connected to my nowTV box, I need to run cables and get an extra sky box with a multiroom subscription, which is a waste of time, resources and money when I already have the nowTV box sitting there.

i'd love to see sky anytime and/or sky go on the nowTV, as well as the remote record planner.
    It seems clear Sky want to keep NowTV and Sky Go separate entities. Not many people know that you are able to subscribe to Sky Go, without a Sky Subscription. It starts at something like €20 a month, and has more less the same content and features as NowTV. Goes to show Sky don't know how to deal with their content.

Sky Go will always act as an extra addition to a Sky Subscriber, a no-frills one at that. Their Apps are available on the bare minimum of devices, and lack any sort of TV-out support. They won't add Sky Go to NowTV in fear of causing confusion, and, again, disrupting their Pay TV (multiroom) subscription. If they can get people to pay for Sky and NowTV, all the better in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

Dman001 wrote: »
    Not many people know that you are able to subscribe to Sky Go, without a Sky Subscription. It starts at something like €20 a month.

How is that true? I have just checked and it says that you need a sky tv subscription in order to subscribe to sky Go

4real wrote: »
    How is that true? I have just checked and it says that you need a sky tv subscription in order to subscribe to sky Go

http://help.sky.com/tv/sky-tv-on-other-devices/watch-sky-online-without-a-subscription?country=ie

A quick look though and it seems this option is now gone. Makes since, seeing as it was a rip-off and the emergence of NowTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Also think that if you have your ipad jailbroken, there's a thing you can install that forces tv out to work. So you can get your Sky Go per month, and connect it to your tv.

Soarer wrote: »
    Also think that if you have your ipad jailbroken, there's a thing you can install that forces tv out to work. So you can get your Sky Go per month, and connect it to your tv.

There used to be, but Sky have patched the Sky Go App not to work on Jailbroken devices. There is/was work to exploit the App but don't think it got anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just got around to ordering one now. Thanks OP. Now to start the long read through the thread to find out what it actually does....

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Got mine a couple of days ago. Had a small bit of trouble setting up Plex (needed for forward ports in my router) but seems like a great piece of kit! Perfect for my spare room.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

great piece of kit for the price.

however, im having trouble with plex finding my laptop.

i've installed plex on the nowtv box
    i've installed plex media server on my laptop (and imported shows into the library)
    however, when i try to connect from the nowtv box its doesnt find anything?
    i've tried manually assigning the IP of my laptop but still no joy?
    im running a 64bit dell with windows 7 pro.

anyone offer any advice pleeeease?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

great piece of kit for the price.

however, im having trouble with plex finding my laptop.

i've installed plex on the nowtv box
    i've installed plex media server on my laptop (and imported shows into the library)
    however, when i try to connect from the nowtv box its doesnt find anything?
    i've tried manually assigning the IP of my laptop but still no joy?
    im running a 64bit dell with windows 7 pro.

anyone offer any advice pleeeease?

This is the problem I was having. I had to open ports in my router. I'm far from an expert on computer matters but it was pretty simple for me. Just googled the name and model of my router + port forwarding. Think I ended up on portfoward.com and just followed their step-by-step guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Will this yoke work with a mobile broadband wifi dongle ?

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this (very long) thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

bmm wrote: »
    Will this yoke work with a mobile broadband wifi dongle ?

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this (very long) thread.

Do you mean can you shove a mobile broadband dongle into it to allow it to access the web? No, it doesn't have a USB socket, nor an Ethernet socket - it assumes a WiFi Network already set up that it can tie into. You might be able to get it to work with a hotspot - not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Tonio

Bought this a few weeks ago and all was working fine (including plex) until I changed broadband provider. I changed to vodafone fibre a few days ago. Since then the skyID user authentication does not work. It also does not work on my iphone. I switched off wifi on the phone and was able to log on using 3G. This leads me to think that the Vodafone router is the problem. Has anyone got now tv working on the Huawei router? Do I need to change some settings on the router? Would appreciate any advice.

EDIT:
    Problem solved. There is a secret menu in the Roku box to disable network pings. Never came across it before but seems to have done the trick. Link below details the fix.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box/Cant-connect-to-roku/td-p/127714

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Signed up to the entertainment package, but noticed certain tv shows are disappearing. Also a lot of the tv series are way behind, with some even only starting mid season.

Anyone else notice that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

Signed up to the entertainment package, but noticed certain tv shows are disappearing. Also a lot of the tv series are way behind, with some even only starting mid season.

Anyone else notice that yet?

Yeah I started watching "the face" season one, watched ep 1,2 and 3 next day ep 1 was missing ( but it's watchable from my "MYTV") and ep 4 is missing but ep 5 is there. Also the walking dead is behind by a few eps, that hasn't been updated. I asked nowtv what's going on and they said its licensing issues and region restrictions , still doesn't explain how some episodes missing when the tv show is a show produced show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Do you mean can you shove a mobile broadband dongle into it to allow it to access the web? No, it doesn't have a USB socket, nor an Ethernet socket - it assumes a WiFi Network already set up that it can tie into. You might be able to get it to work with a hotspot - not sure.

Yes works perfect with my s3 thethered emobile, used it in August in lexlip hotel

Advertisement