Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Seems like NowTV box won't be able to show most US apps even after unblock-us DNS switch.
    If you have a Roku with UK firmware, with our DNS set up, you will only be able to access Netflix, bbc iplayer and NHL gamecenter. (Demand5, itv player and 4od are not currently supported on Roku.) NO other US apps will show or work. This is due to the limitations of the firmware. Even if you register the Roku to a US address, other US apps will not show or work. We have confirmed that using our DNS with UK firmware, our Netflix selector works as it should for all Netflix countries that we support.

Roku shows channels based on the firmware in combination with using our DNS to show the US channels on US Roku firmware in countries other than the US. This is why the the bbc iplayer works on UK firmware and not on US firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 segster

Hi everyone, registered especially for this thread.

I am living in Germany and can report the following with my Now TV Box (picked up in the UK last weekend), set up with Unotelly as DNS solution:

BBC iPlayer - OK
    Now TV - NOT OK
    Demand 5 - NOT OK

So I found this thread, but what I could not fathom here was...

either Now TV works for most of you because
    a) Sky does not block it's use in Ireland (as I assume its meant to be a UK only service) or
    b) you are using an improved /working DNS solution (e.g. unblock-us).

Same for Demand 5.

Any help / clarification appreciated!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coolbreeze72

I'm in Ireland and using Unotelly also.

Now TV works for me and also BBC iPlayer.

Demand 5 doesn't work and I logged an issue with Unotelly last week and they say they don't support the Now TV box. Demand 5 works for me on a laptop connected to the same wifi SSID as the Now TV box, so I do belive there is an issue with getting Demand 5 on Now TV...with UntoTelly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 segster

Hi coolbreeze thanks for the reply. I just found the Now TV setting on my unotelly account, and so that is now working.
    I also found a "Channel Option 2" setting for UK which includes Demand 5, but like you this is working only on the laptop.
    That said I can't say i'm too gutted about missing Chris Tarrant Goes fishing.. unlike the fish who are presumably during the course of the programme, gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

Have the box a good few weeks now and find it brilliant especially plex. Have been reading through the thread but my eyes are starting to fall out of my head.

Can anyone tell me if I can get a browser and can I get the rte player on this. If I can't is there any possibility of it happening in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Can anyone please tell me if this Now TV box works with Plex Media Server installed on a NAS box (not on a laptop\PC) ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Is there an alternative to Plex? I have an iomega px4-300d but doesn't see it, searching on google looks like plex doesn't work with the Iomega I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

Demand 5 works for me!

Demand 5 works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Roger00 wrote: »
    Demand 5 works for me!

How did you get it to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

IrishHomer wrote: »

Pointed his box towards Wales ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

WIZWEB wrote: »
    Pointed his box towards Wales ;)

Must try that :)

I'm not sure, it wasn't workin for me until last night. I opened it from the Roku channel store & it's working since. I've being using overplay for bout 8/9 months, but this is the first time Demand 5 has worked for me.

I'm not sure, it wasn't workin for me until last night. I opened it from the Roku channel store & it's working since. I've being using overplay for bout 8/9 months, but this is the first time Demand 5 has worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me if this Now TV box works with Plex Media Server installed on a NAS box (not on a laptop\PC) ???

Works great on my Synology NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Tonio wrote: »
    Works great on my Synology NAS

Thanks Tonio, what model Synology you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭bren2001

Are you able to use Cyberghost for the DNS switch? As I can't see a UK dns server. I ask, as I have an account with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Would Hola be an option on this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Does not seem to work with my Synology DS212J, FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

After the last plex update, I cant seem to be able to play AVI files. Was fine before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭mcw92

Just ordered one :)
    So i can install pled on this which allows me to use Netflix and the likes yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

bren2001 wrote: »
    Are you able to use Cyberghost for the DNS switch? As I can't see a UK dns server. I ask, as I have an account with them.

Your account limitation is on their app not on their servers so you can actually use all the servers by setting it a pptp, l2tp or opendns connection manually. gb.cyberghostvpn.com is the uk server.

Handiest thing is install openvpn first then download configuration from cyberghost control panel, then simply change server name from de ro or whatever to gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭brevity

mcw92 wrote: »
    Just ordered one :)
    So i can install pled on this which allows me to use Netflix and the likes yes?

You can install Plex which will allow you to stream video from your computer.

Netflix doesnt work on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭mcw92

brevity wrote: »
    You can install Plex which will allow you to stream video from your computer.

Netflix doesnt work on it yet.

But i seen a picture where someone had Netflix installed through Plex no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I wish this thread would disappear because I bought a Roku LT (the same one as the TVNow box) for €65 two days before it started so it just keeps reminding me I missed out on a bargain.

It's a good streaming device and I wouldn't worry about accessing all the channels. It's worth getting for Plex alone and that's all I use it for. I found most of the official channels to be rubbish and you can install YouTube and a couple of other OK channels on Plex. I don't use Netflix but it's no longer available through the Plex channel list since September as far as I know, so maybe the above poster saw something from before then.

I'd recommend this as a real bargain on the basis of just using it for Plex. Just fuming I missed out on it myself. Can we close the thread now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭brevity

mcw92 wrote: »
    But i seen a picture where someone had Netflix installed through Plex no?

Ya you can install it as a Plex channel but it doesnt really work at all. It might work work with TunnelBear or some similar software but I havent tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mine arrived yesterday can't go to far wrong for the price and with a free month of movies.

As I don't have sky, the entertainment part is nice and for about €6 a month it's not bad at all on the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

jakdublin wrote: »
    I bought a Roku LT (the same one as the TVNow box) for €65 two days before it started so it just keeps reminding me I missed out on a bargain.
    But isn't your device less locked down? Can you install a proper Netflix app on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

groom wrote: »
    But isn't your device less locked down? Can you install a proper Netflix app on it?

Yes it is and yes you can. But like I said, I only use it for Plex so it's not any more use to me than the locked down version. I suppose if Netflix is a deal breaker you might be better off avoiding the locked down version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

kazzer wrote: »
    Does not seem to work with my Synology DS212J, FYI

DS211j

Advertisement