Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

can you plug in an external usb drive to this or can it at least access a share over a home wifi network? (to stream to tv)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

glasso wrote: »
    can you plug in an external usb drive to this or can it at least access a share over a home wifi network? (to stream to tv)

No you cant plug and external hard drive on it, you need to install PLEX on the Box and your PC and can you can view your media collection that way.

No you cant plug and external hard drive on it, you need to install PLEX on the Box and your PC and can you can view your media collection that way.

thanks, yes amongst the many pages of this thread I did see that in the end! have ordered it - cheap way to get a streamer instead of having to plug laptop into tv. and hopefully I can get iplayer to work also.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Someone asked if it's possible to watch RTE Player with Now TV box. Seems like there was a PLEX RTE plugin developed back in 2010 however many users report it's broken.

And for those of you who still don't have Youtube you need to disable compatibility checking on the Plex Media Server (under Media Manager - Settings - Channels).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

soirish wrote: »
    Someone asked if it's possible to watch RTE Player with Now TV box. Seems like there was a PLEX RTE plugin developed back in 2010 however many users report it's broken.

And for those of you who still don't have Youtube you need to disable compatibility checking on the Plex Media Server (under Media Manager - Settings - Channels).

If RTÉ player gets working I will explode with delight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Has anyone been able to hack the box to run xbmc yet or is it just plex only?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Access wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to hack the box to run xbmc yet or is it just plex only?

Its PLEX only - XMBC will not work with Roku.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭mcw92

Just picked up mine. But dosnt work with my campus internet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

mcw92 wrote: »
    Just picked up mine. But dosnt work with my campus internet :/

Most likely because you have to log in with an account to the campus WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭mcw92

Most likely because you have to log in with an account to the campus WiFi?

Nope just the ports they have blocked I'd say.
    No login required on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

No sign of my NowTV box. Credit card payment was taken on the 7th Nov. No contact from Parcel Motel . hmmm :confused:

Just got mine today so there's no actual way of turning it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just got mine today so there's no actual way of turning it off?

Plug it out....... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

I had Plex working on this when I first got it, but now though it is still connected to my PC, it no longer shows my media or channels added. I was wondering was there a software update or something that has stopped it working. Any else had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

finally caved and bought one, still not convinced I'll use it though!

Davy wrote: »
    Plug it out....... :P

Remotely I meant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

bobbygrant wrote: »
    I had Plex working on this when I first got it, but now though it is still connected to my PC, it no longer shows my media or channels added. I was wondering was there a software update or something that has stopped it working. Any else had this problem?

Mine working ok, Software Version 4.9 Build 8067

make sure the Plex server is running in the PC/laptop/nas maybe restart both

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

bmm wrote: »
    No sign of my NowTV box. Credit card payment was taken on the 7th Nov. No contact from Parcel Motel . hmmm :confused:

Happened to me too, I ordered a 2nd box tracking said was delivered 7th, I emailed PM & picked it up today.

Anyone else finding the tunein app a bit buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Anyone else finding the tunein app a bit buggy?

Yes, sometimes when clicking Play on a station it does nothing, and other times it buffers and plays as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Lads, in short, is it worth the tenner and will I be able to run Plex or similar in the house or on the device?

I'm a seasoned the techy guy, in a sense, but I'm frugal. Basically, I'd rather not buy something that I didn't know about. Since others are talking about the device, surely there is something good about it that I could benefit from.

I've worked with XBMC and NAS-like devices in the house, but this would be more reliable and worthwhile, especially for a tenner.

Lads, in short, is it worth the tenner and will I be able to run Plex or similar in the house or on the device?

I'm a seasoned the techy guy, in a sense, but I'm frugal. Basically, I'd rather not buy something that I didn't know about. Since others are talking about the device, surely there is something good about it that I could benefit from.

I've worked with XBMC and NAS-like devices in the house, but this would be more reliable and worthwhile, especially for a tenner.

You're a seasoned tech Guy yet can't have a browse through this thread?

Hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I have had loads of crap nas things, media boxes, so called smart tvs and players, plex + this is the business. Got my tenners worth in the first couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Got mine delivered yesterday and connected it to my hp microserver which I set up with sickbed, sab and Couchpotato. Got it all running last night and have to say it's an absolute bargain. I have a standard Eircom zyxel router and have quality set to 8Mbps and all of my downloads play no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Guys....i have received a 3month movies pass and 7 sports passes. My lg tv was suppose to have a nowtv app but its not the case.

I can use my laptop and stream it that way, but if i buy the nowtv box will i be able to use it to stream my media which is on a windows vista pc running serviio. works fine on existing dlna enabled tv's in the house as well as my raspberry pi. but could always do with another gadget!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

LowOdour wrote: »
    Guys....i have received a 3month movies pass and 7 sports passes. My lg tv was suppose to have a nowtv app but its not the case.

I can use my laptop and stream it that way, but if i buy the nowtv box will i be able to use it to stream my media which is on a windows vista pc running serviio. works fine on existing dlna enabled tv's in the house as well as my raspberry pi. but could always do with another gadget!

You will be able to watch your Now TV on the the box and install Plex Media Player on the Now TV Box and stream your media that way. I don't think servio is supported right now. Plex is great though, imo a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭LowOdour

DubDJ wrote: »
    You will be able to watch your Now TV on the the box and install Plex Media Player on the Now TV Box and stream your media that way. I don't think servio is supported right now. Plex is great though, imo a better alternative.

Cool. one question, will the nowtv functionalty work side by side with the plex player? or is it a case i would run plex on my free subscriptions are done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Cool. one question, will the nowtv functionalty work side by side with the plex player? or is it a case i would run plex on my free subscriptions are done?

Yeah they run side by side, I have the NowTV subscription running right now and Plex installed accessing all my media from my laptop. Just for Plex alone this box is more than worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Picked up mine yesterday, havent even plugged it in yet.

Is it just me or is there no list of the 'tv boxsets' anywhere on the now tv site?

Movies & Sports passes dont interest me for a number of reasons but the entertainment pass does.

Suppose i'll have to just fire it up and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Hang in there, I'm in the same boat, a plex app for 2013 LG TVs is due out (pending approval by LG).
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/71256-someone-write-a-lg-plex-app/page-18#entry498916

Advertisement