Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭little foot

Filmon tv

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

moodrater wrote: »
    No problem here via unodns. It always bombs out of the telly and Android at the ad breaks. Maybe trying to do some regional targettiing. Now TV box gets more use than anything else here.

You using unodns through your router?

I tried a trial of Unblockus and it only worked for a couple of days before not only did BBC iplayer stop working, 4OD stopped as well. Also Netflix on all my other devices stopped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

adox wrote: »
    You using unodns through your router?

I tried a trial of Unblockus and it only worked for a couple of days before not only did BBC iplayer stop working, 4OD stopped as well. Also Netflix on all my other devices stopped too.

unblockus trial is a week, you can get 6 months out of unodns by tweeting / facebook posting once a month. They have a server in amazon data center in dublin zero connectivity issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Playto works well indeed. I use it on the TV in the bedroom, I have no tv cables, and it's not a Smart tv but the tv does have HDI so bingo.

I useplayto with my Nexus 7 to the NOW TV box.

I signed up with Overplay and use their dns servers settings on my vodafone router to get around any Geo Location issues, so I can use the Smart TV down stairs for BBC iplayer and Netflix USA etc..

So far so good and no brainer for €11 and €3.50 for shipping to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

what player are people using for the unsupported apps?
    sorry bit of a noob here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Interested in one of these Now TV boxes but don't fancy having to pay monthly subs to watch TV. Is there a way around this (PM me if so!)
    Also would these be better than those android mini pc sticks like the MK808B?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Just to note the NOW TV box is NOT HD, it's 720dpi . I watched top gear last night for me quality is fine.

I think you can buy like pre pay day/month passes. I don't watch allot of TV so didn't really investigate it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

see here

Also must say the PlayTo app is great
    I can stream local content from other PCs on the network or from my NAS. It also has the FilmOn app built in to it so I can now watch UK TV (BBC, ITV etc etc) on the Now TV Box

Does PlayTO work from a PC? Could only find the Android App. Also maybe its a setting or something but I used Youtube 720p streams via PlayTo App and they don't look good at all compared to when I stream Youtube via Plex. Very pixelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

dont think playto is on the web tbh.only have it on my tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

rh5555 wrote: »
    Does PlayTO work from a PC? Could only find the Android App. Also maybe its a setting or something but I used Youtube 720p streams via PlayTo App and they don't look good at all compared to when I stream Youtube via Plex. Very pixelated.

There you go
    http://bit.ly/1dNAS7M
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

It's built into Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7.

Edit: I just checked and whilst PlayTo from WMP will play to my Samsung TV, it doesn't see the Now TV/Roku. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 biscut

Can anyone help with this problem I'm having with Plex?

When I try to play some youtube videos I get the following error =
    "Content Unavailable, An error occurred while trying to load this content, make sure the server is running"

Also anything I try to play from from the ITV Player I get this error=
    "Video Unavailable. We're unable to play this video, make sure the server is running and has access to this video"

I have the server running and I'm using unotelly thanks to Moodrater and BBC Iplayer and Demand 5 are working perfect.
    Also the ITV Player plays everything on the Plex server on my laptop just not on my TV.

Would it be a transcoding issue? I have it set to automatic, is this the best setting?

Hope I'm not asking too much, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

biscut wrote: »
    Can anyone help with this problem I'm having with Plex?

When I try to play some youtube videos I get the following error =
    "Content Unavailable, An error occurred while trying to load this content, make sure the server is running"

Also anything I try to play from from the ITV Player I get this error=
    "Video Unavailable. We're unable to play this video, make sure the server is running and has access to this video"

I have the server running and I'm using unotelly thanks to Moodrater and BBC Iplayer and Demand 5 are working perfect.
    Also the ITV Player plays everything on the Plex server on my laptop just not on my TV.

Would it be a transcoding issue? I have it set to automatic, is this the best setting?

Hope I'm not asking too much, thanks in advance

I only installed apps from the unofficial app store last night but, from what I can see some of them dont work on the nowtv box. ITV player wouldnt work for me either as well as a few others. Some worked ok.

Biggest disappointment was Icefilms not working on nowtv. It would even show up on the menu in nowtv for some reason. Showed up fine and worked on my smart tv upstairs.

I presume its normal for the Icefilms app not even to appear on nowtv?

can you use playto to stream a website from a browser window on a laptop to now tv? can't figure out how to do that...

adox wrote: »
    I only installed apps from the unofficial app store last night but, from what I can see some of them dont work on the nowtv box. ITV player wouldnt work for me either as well as a few others. Some worked ok.

Biggest disappointment was Icefilms not working on nowtv. It would even show up on the menu in nowtv for some reason. Showed up fine and worked on my smart tv upstairs.

I presume its normal for the Icefilms app not even to appear on nowtv?

Icefilms and another channel (LMWT) show up for me on the Now TV. The only problem is that it has limited decoding capability. When I tried it first I had the channels installed on the Zyxel NAS which doesn't have the power to perform transcoding on them. I installed the channels on Plex on the HP Microserver (ubuntu) and I can get certain streams to work. Others will still give file format/transcoding errors.

Plex on the smart tv seems to be able to decode streams better as I was able to watch stuff on it from those channels even on the NAS.

glasso wrote: »
    can you use playto to stream a website from a browser window on a laptop to now TV? can't figure out how to do that...

Don't think you can use PlayTo from your PC to the NowTVBox which would be pretty awesome if you could. At least I couldn't find anything online and that's why I asked here where I was referred back to google :)

Don't think you can use PlayTo from your PC to the NowTVBox which would be pretty awesome if you could. At least I couldn't find anything online and that's why I asked here where I was referred back to google :)

As I said above, Playto is built into Windows Media Player 12 from Windows 7 onwards (I found that out from Arikv's Google link, ironically ;)) . Just right click and select Play To. I have an issue where I can't see my Now Tv from the laptop, but Microsoft say it's compatible (or at least the Roku LT it's built on)

Gulliver wrote: »
    As I said above, Playto is built into Windows Media Player 12 from Windows 7 onwards (I found that out from Arikv's Google link, ironically ;)) . Just right click and select Play To. I have an issue where I can't see my Now Tv from the laptop, but Microsoft say it's compatible (or at least the Roku LT it's built on)

Thanks Gulliver. I think what Glasso and I were wondering (don't want to speak for him) if you can run a browser such as Chrome and just send your content to the nowtv via a Playto app.

For me it would be nice as I can have access to the BBC player via my Chrome browser on my PC (I have a plugin) and I could just stream it to my TV via the Playto app if that were possible.

I know there are ways around this but I just don't want to change my Router settings that would affect all of my internet.

For streaming video I just use Plex which works great but good to know that Windows Media Player could be an alternative option if it actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

How up to date is the OP? Interested in getting one of these, but a little unsure of it's capabilities. Can you stream Netflix /YouTube /Rte player/ showbox on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Superfin wrote: »
    How up to date is the OP? Interested in getting one of these, but a little unsure of it's capabilities. Can you stream Netflix /YouTube /Rte player/ showbox on these?

I could well be wrong, but as I understand it, definitely can't stream Netflix or Showbox, pretty sure you can't stream RTE player and can stream Youtube (the only one I am definite about because I stream it via Playto, and there are other ways of doing it too). If I'm wrong I will be delighted to find out how to do it as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Thanks Gulliver. I think what Glasso and I were wondering (don't want to speak for him) if you can run a browser such as Chrome and just send your content to the nowtv via a Playto app.

For me it would be nice as I can have access to the BBC player via my Chrome browser on my PC (I have a plugin) and I could just stream it to my TV via the Playto app if that were possible.

I know there are ways around this but I just don't want to change my Router settings that would affect all of my internet.

For streaming video I just use Plex which works great but good to know that Windows Media Player could be an alternative option if it actually works.

Playto in windows is dlna:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/177145/wireless-display-standards-explained-airplay-miracast-widi-chromecast-and-dlna/

You can do what you're talking about with chromecast but the iplayer video needs to be reencoded and compressed by your computer and sent to the TV You need a very high spec desktop to do that live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

If I have one of these and bring it to Spain
    Would it be possible to buy a day pass for sports to use when there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Anyone getting unotelly working on a Horizon box.

Tried changing the DNS server 1 & 2 to
    176.58.107.53 for the BBC Iplayer

To no avail. The IP doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

JHet wrote: »
    Anyone getting unotelly working on a Horizon box.

Tried changing the DNS server 1 & 2 to
    176.58.107.53 for the BBC Iplayer

To no avail. The IP doesn't change.

The ip address will stay the same, to test if you tweet or facebook about them after send a mail with screenshot or link to it to upport@unotelly.com with subject UnoTelly Free you get 30 days trial.

A tweet with something like "@unotelly are good #UnoTelly" is enought.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Thanks but that doesn't really help me with the problem at hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

Filmon tv

How do I get film on, is it an app that i need to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

IsaBrown wrote: »
    How do I get film on, is it an app that i need to install?

It's an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

It's an app.

I cannot find it, I've looked in the Roku channel store and the sky store but cannot see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

IsaBrown wrote: »
    I cannot find it, I've looked in the Roku channel store and the sky store but cannot see it.

Sorry it's part of the playto app on Android.

Advertisement