Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭larchielads

If i know someonevwit h a sky package can i use their sky log in details to use it in my house kinda like how sky go works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

If i know someonevwit h a sky package can i use their sky log in details to use it in my house kinda like how sky go works?

Naw. Although Sky sell the it, its a completely different type of account .

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

bromley52 wrote: »
    Not here even with an extra paid service.

Noticed that a while ago, it's an irrelevant channel but it's interesting that one of the actual ent package channels (as distinct from the Roku store catch up apps) is geolocked in line with ROI SKY content, we all know they know there are ROI NOW TV users, makes me wonder what the future holds though, especially with the new VAT laws, will it all be geolocked come Jan 1st.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Naw. Although Sky sell the it, its a completely different type of account .

Yes you can, I registered my nowTV with my existing Sky TV online account ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭larchielads

vibe666 wrote: »
    Do they deliver to ireland or how do i go about gettin one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

So if you have a regular Sky TV account with Sky Sports you can use this to watch Sky Sports on a different tv, using the same account, at no extra cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭bromley52

dos30 wrote: »
    So if you have a regular Sky TV account with Sky Sports you can use this to watch Sky Sports on a different tv, using the same account, at no extra cost?
    No. Your Sky id and password will only activate the box. You need to pay to view any of the packages even if you already pay for the satellite service. The apps are useful and 4oD works without any intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

If anyone is subscribing to the Entertainment pass, they have increased the price from £4.99 per month to £6.99 per month. If you go to cancel the subscription you will be offered 4 months at £5.49 per month.

not quite, but what you can do is have up to four devices (either NowTV boxes or PC's etc. that can use the nowTV website or app) on the same account and use up to two of them at the same time to watch NowTV subscription (sports/movies/entertainment) content on them.

also, the same restrictions don't apply to plex, 4oD and iPlayer etc. so the 2 devices simultaneously limit is only for NowTV content.

i actually just use mine for plex (actually rarflix) now unless there's a freebie pass going for nowTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

If you know someone with a NOWTV package and they have a NOWTV Box then maybe you could purchase a NOWTV Box and log in with their details. Not sure if it will work but there is the restriction of watching on 2 boxes at the same time.
    If you know someone with a regular Sky TV package (Regular in that its a Sat dish and box at the telly) then this NOWTV box is no good to watch content from that account - you need something to play SkyGo and this will not play SkyGo content
    You can use the same account details but NOWTV and SkyGo are different things. I have 3 devices on my NOWTV account and 2 on my SkyGo account. I can watch on my 2 NOWTV devices and on my SkyGo app on XBOX all at the same time. They all use the same log in details but are not linked
    No - as per above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Has anyone tried using a VPN to get that channel to work.?

I worry if one channel is behaving like this that others may follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

can we watch skygo on nowtv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

No. Look two posts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Did you read any of the previous posts? lots of info in post #1 in the thread also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

All channels seem to be geo-locked now on iPhone /chromecast app
    Nowtv box working fine apart from itv encore

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

dogtoffee wrote: »

Must have just happened yesterday as they were working fine on Sunday night. Will test when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Is there any VPN style service we could use to bypass this?
    dogtoffee wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

It seems to be working again I was getting this.

rogercross wrote: »
    Is there any VPN style service we could use to bypass this?

I posted something a couple of months ago in the thread if you look back. On my phone now so can't search very well, but have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I started reading this thread early and sort of lost track after that. Now I'm very interested in purchasing this as a christmas present for someone. It would mainly be for the channels, but if the Plex thing is handy it would be interesting to me too. A few questions if someone would be very kind to answer.

1. When you buy the box, are there things that will work without a subscription?
    2. It would mainly be for movies and entertainment, what would be the best packages to buy, or deals etc for these?
    3. What would be the advantages of installing Plex??
    4. If there is a very good broadband line, is there much or any breakup of connection when watching on TV using it?
    5. Is there deals to buy a longer period, 6 months etc?
    6. Are there channels on the packages that wont work in Ireland for some reason? Ive seen ITV Encore being mentioned.
    7. Can you buy 2 different packs at once, Movies and Entertainment for example?

Thanks to anyone that can help me with these. It would really make a difference to someone if this worked out suitable to them.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    I started reading this thread early and sort of lost track after that. Now I'm very interested in purchasing this as a christmas present for someone. It would mainly be for the channels, but if the Plex thing is handy it would be interesting to me too. A few questions if someone would be very kind to answer.

Thanks to anyone that can help me with these. It would really make a difference to someone if this worked out suitable to them.

1. Yes, a few such as 4oD and Sky News, plus some other minor ones.
    2. you get a 30 day movie pass when you sign up as a taster. there are sometimes passes for movies and entertainment at a good price on ebay although it just seems to be sports passes right now. there's also the odd special offer on here, i've had 3 or 4 months free on movies in the last year afaik.
    3. Plex allows you to connect the nowTV to a back-end movie library (either locally or remotely), similar to XBMC just without all the frills. you either need to create your own plex server, or know someone who has one, but you can buy subscriptions to them online fairly cheaply, although it is unlikely to be legal content, so we wouldn't be able to discuss it here.
    4. not normally, mine has always been fine, although *very* occasionally it needs the power pulling on the nowTV box to reset it, but it is only very occasionally and I don't recall needing to do it for the last few months at all.
    5. check the nowTV website or ebay, sometimes stuff comes up.
    6. Yeah, ITV won't work and iPlayer doesn't work unless you change the DNS on your router.
    7. Yes and you can have up to 4 nowTV devices on a single account with a max of two in use simultaneously, so if you got two of them and had a movie pass on one and the ent. pass on the other, both boxes would have access to both passes at the same time if they were added to the same account. :)

1. Yes, a few such as 4oD and Sky News, plus some other minor ones.
    2. you get a 30 day movie pass when you sign up as a taster. there are sometimes passes for movies and entertainment at a good price on ebay although it just seems to be sports passes right now. there's also the odd special offer on here, i've had 3 or 4 months free on movies in the last year afaik.
    3. Plex allows you to connect the nowTV to a back-end movie library (either locally or remotely), similar to XBMC just without all the frills. you either need to create your own plex server, or know someone who has one, but you can buy subscriptions to them online fairly cheaply, although it is unlikely to be legal content, so we wouldn't be able to discuss it here.
    4. not normally, mine has always been fine, although *very* occasionally it needs the power pulling on the nowTV box to reset it, but it is only very occasionally and I don't recall needing to do it for the last few months at all.
    5. check the nowTV website or ebay, sometimes stuff comes up.
    6. Yeah, ITV won't work and iPlayer doesn't work unless you change the DNS on your router.
    7. Yes and you can have up to 4 nowTV devices on a single account with a max of two in use simultaneously, so if you got two of them and had a movie pass on one and the ent. pass on the other, both boxes would have access to both passes at the same time if they were added to the same account. :)

Fantastic. Thanks a lot for answering all them!

1 more question. I'd like to use this on a laptop as well, the problem is it doesn't have a HDMI connection, just a VGA. What would be my options on getting it to work on the laptop? A Converter cable, or a way to stream it to the laptop perhaps?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought it pretty good. But it was a bit pricey. I only got it to take advantage of the cheap deals they had originally. I wouldn't pay the full price for it. Just be aware they change what's available around, so stuff disappears from it after a certain time.

Fantastic. Thanks a lot for answering all them!

1 more question. I'd like to use this on a laptop as well, the problem is it doesn't have a HDMI connection, just a VGA. What would be my options on getting it to work on the laptop? A Converter cable, or a way to stream it to the laptop perhaps?

Thanks again!

The video connection on a laptop is normally an output only, not an input so you can't connect a nowtv to a laptop like that.

BUT, you actually don't need to because you can log into your nowtv account via your web browser and play your subscribed content without using a nowtv box at all, same goes for plex and iPlayer etc. all available right from your browser on your laptop.

The video connection on a laptop is normally an output only, not an input so you can't connect a nowtv to a laptop like that.

BUT, you actually don't need to because you can log into your nowtv account via your web browser and play your subscribed content without using a nowtv box at all, same goes for plex and iPlayer etc. all available right from your browser on your laptop.

Ah I completely forgot about that way, I wasn't sure if it could be watched in the browser. Been a big help, thanks again!

Ah I completely forgot about that way, I wasn't sure if it could be watched in the browser. Been a big help, thanks again!

I please to aim! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mincork

Hi there , I clearly missed a few post about giving credit card details when creating a Now TV account , is there any way to create an account without giving said details , I got the box mainly for the apps and free channels on a spare TV , I don't plan on buying any sport or movies services from sky.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭bromley52

Mincork wrote: »
    Hi there , I clearly missed a few post about giving credit card details when creating a Now TV account , is there any way to create an account without giving said details , I got the box mainly for the apps and free channels on a spare TV , I don't plan on buying any sport or movies services from sky.

Thanks

If you have or had a Sky a/c you could try the username & password from that a/c. That worked for me.

Mincork wrote: »

Thanks
    Just remove them from your account.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Any freecodes offers for passes ??

Advertisement