Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Anyone know if there is a way to bypass the initial setup and just use the box for the free apps like iplayer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Has anyone tried to buy one lately?
    Can't seem to just purchase the box.

What does it say when you try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

rogercross wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a way to bypass the initial setup and just use the box for the free apps like iplayer etc
    Just ask your friends/family does anyone have an old sky account.

What does it say when you try?

You have to buy a pack, eg. with a movie pass or entertainment pass.. just annoying really

• Advertisement

Shane_ef wrote: »
    You have to buy a pack, eg. with a movie pass or entertainment pass.. just annoying really

Huh that is new, well i suppose you could buy it from them directly with the pass then sell the pass on ebay?

Huh that is new, well i suppose you could buy it from them directly with the pass then sell the pass on ebay?

Ya I think they might have noticed they were selling many more boxes that passes :pac: ...

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Ya I think they might have noticed they were selling many more boxes that passes :pac: ...

They are great little boxes I have to say, tv is instantly a smart tv because of them. You don't happen to know a way of getting one to work without a credit card do you, i need to get one for my cousin but she only plans to use it for 4od, iplayer not the now tv app?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

They are great little boxes I have to say, tv is instantly a smart tv because of them. You don't happen to know a way of getting one to work without a credit card do you, i need to get one for my cousin but she only plans to use it for 4od, iplayer not the now tv app?

The user name and password for the account created ordering the box should also act as login credentials for the box itself. It's obviously intended you move on to provide card details or use passes - but I've always used it for Plex and free channel access only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Well they took my money again and it still works great no email. Here's to another month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

keano25 wrote: »
    Well they took my money again and it still works great no email. Here's to another month

Good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've had mine(I have two of them) and have to say I am loving them. Such a bargain for what I'm essentially using them for - media streamers. I have Rarflix on both of them and it works great. Also use the 4OD catch up service as well.

Loaded loads of apps from the unofficial App Store but most are temperamental and I don't really use them.

For Rarflix/ Plex alone this box is a no brainer.

for rarflix does your laptop need to be turned on to play downloaded stuff or is there another way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

keano25 wrote: »
    for rarflix does your laptop need to be turned on to play downloaded stuff or is there another way?

Yep you could install it on a raspberry pi or similar though, but at that rate you're as well off buying an android box for the superior apps.

Interesting looks like they're due to release a new NowTv box later this year:

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/sky-to-launch-new-now-tv-box-in-2015-will-we-finally-get-hd--1283463

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Is there a simple way to get the itv player or the bbc player to work with the now box?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So my account got deactivated today and I can no longer even sign in. I wasn't on a subscription per se, just still on the 30 day free trial. I got on to live chat and they said theres nothing I can do and that they dont license content to the Republic of Ireland and any accounts found using NOW TV here will be deactivated.

The only thing is that I signed up using an O2 Money card, I wonder would using a regular Visa Debit card make any difference? Anyone else get deactivated lately?

Mines been active for close to a year now without any problems.

Even with an account deactivation can you still use iPlayer etc?

Mines been active for close to a year now without any problems.

Even with an account deactivation can you still use iPlayer etc?

Ya I said it to them on Live Chat that some of my friends and family have it for ages, and he said that any account they come across from Ireland they would deactivate it immediately, just seems to be bad luck perhaps.

I haven't been using iPlayer, you need a workaround to get that anyway right? VPN etC?

You do but I suppose what i'm asking is can you still navigate the box's other apps freely such as youtube etc

• Advertisement

You do but I suppose what i'm asking is can you still navigate the box's other apps freely such as youtube etc

Oh yes 4OD still works as does those added apps like Youtube etc. Sky Sports News does not work however as it needs an active subscription to show.

Well thats something anyway.

I bought my box using an ulster bank credit card and parcel motel, still working after almost a year now, granted i've been using voucher cards obtained from ebay and from curries uk shops, i haven't had any credit card transactions bar the initial box purchase.

Well thats something anyway.

I bought my box using an ulster bank credit card and parcel motel, still working after almost a year now, granted i've been using voucher cards obtained from ebay and from curries uk shops, i haven't had any credit card transactions bar the initial box purchase.

What card do you have on your account? The Ulster bank one as well?

I was planning to do the same as well, not use my card to charge me, was going to use vouchers whenever I thought I'd use them.

Yea the ulster bank card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

One the likes of 4OD and mainly Plex arent affected then Im not bothered, although my account is still active.

Have two boxes about a year, did get a free trial and bought a movie pass on ebay once for them but its just a handy way of using Plex for my local media and 4OD etc. Signed up using my Sky ID and paid with an Irish credit card.

I got the deactivation email today, everything still seems to be working for now, how long until it fully stops working do you think?

Just an update, I was online with NOWTV's chat and according to them there is no pending deactivation for my account, and everythings working as it should be still, i even have a ticket number i can quote now if they do try to deactivate it.

To be safe I've changed my billing address to parcel motel too, only my shipping address was set to it originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Thanks for the update. Interesting angle on the billing address, I wonder would the change to P/M cause the card payment to fail on renewal due to address conflict or once the card is accepted is it moot.

Watch this space I guess, seeing as i have a few months left on my current subscription card I won't know until that ends, assuming nowtv lets me get to the end....... :-)

• Advertisement

strange one on this now tv no longer works on my smart tv or ps4. it works ok on little white box tho

Advertisement