Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Now TV website updated on 7th July 2015:

"Is NOW TV available in the Republic of Ireland?

Currently no, however this is something we’re actively working towards and will look to add in the near future."

Previously it read:

Is NOW TV coming to the Republic of Ireland?

We are always looking to make NOW TV as widely available as possible. However, at the moment there are no current plans. Should this change information will be announced on our website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

givecredit wrote: »
    Now TV website updated on 7th July 2015:

"Is NOW TV available in the Republic of Ireland?

Currently no, however this is something we’re actively working towards and will look to add in the near future."

Previously it read:

Is NOW TV coming to the Republic of Ireland?

We are always looking to make NOW TV as widely available as possible. However, at the moment there are no current plans. Should this change information will be announced on our website.

I think a lot of us here would be very happy to see this rolled out officially in ROI. Let just hope that they don't charge more than the UK prices converted to EURO!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I think a lot of us here would be very happy to see this rolled out officially in ROI. Let just hope that they don't charge more than the UK prices converted to EURO!
    To be honest I'm happy it's not rolled out here officially, we'd get ripped off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

rogercross wrote: »
    To be honest I'm happy it's not rolled out here officially, we'd get ripped off big time.

Yeah I'd be quite happy for it to stay active for us here and pay UK prices. Got my first box in 2013 but have been using it regularly, both ent & movies for over a year now and have two boxes and a Chromecast. Rarely have issues streaming in that time (bit shakey when I first tried it in 2013). I think it's a great product.if they ever geo lock it I'd just get Netflix, I'd miss the sky atlantic & fox shows and the newer movies but I'd never go back to SKY proper or UPC for TV regardless of their offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭onform

There's Amazon lightning deals on the 3 Now tv box packs (movies, sports, entertainment pack) at 6.59 this evening, here's a link to the general lightning deals page :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/gb/ld?exclfilter=%7B%22MARKETING_ID%22%3A%5B%22restrictedcontent%22%2C%22EXC_LD_TEST%22%2C%22PRIME_ONLY_DOTD%22%5D%7D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

onform wrote: »
    There's Amazon lightning deals on the 3 Now tv box packs (movies, sports, entertainment pack) at 6.59 this evening, here's a link to the general lightning deals page :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/gb/ld?exclfilter=%7B%22MARKETING_ID%22%3A%5B%22restrictedcontent%22%2C%22EXC_LD_TEST%22%2C%22PRIME_ONLY_DOTD%22%5D%7D

I'd save your money for the new box and get a code on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I hope it does get rolled out here because not everyone is lucky enough to not get noticed they are accessing it in Ireland.

rogercross wrote: »

Well I imagine that you would be able to continue with the status quo if you wish. There is no advantage for anyone in ROI in it remaining a UK only service.

Corholio wrote: »
    I hope it does get rolled out here because not everyone is lucky enough to not get noticed they are accessing it in Ireland.

True, I'd imagine they will either launch it or nix it for everyone eventually though. They recently nixed their monthly Sky Go pack with no alternative here, presumably the revenue here was irrelevant to them and I'd imagine that the ROI NOWTV revenue is too. Their primary UK market is Freesat/Freeview/youview customers. The more people that quit SKY the more likely it is to launch here but with the alternatives being UPC (not great), Saorview-FTA/Freesat combo (my bag but not everyone's) & evision (ahem) they don't really have much to fear for now but hopefully attitudes change. We are their only market where they haven't launched an OTT service so they obviously want to keep milking the TV cow here which I wouldn't put past them however short sighted. Maybe they'll launch it with the new box at some awful price though just to spite us!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭onform

moodrater wrote: »
    I'd save your money for the new box and get a code on ebay.

Perhaps, but to mix 2 metaphors a bird in the hand is better than a pig in a poke :-)

They are up there now for £13.99 on the lightning deals, works out roughly €20.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but to mix 2 metaphors a bird in the hand is better than a pig in a poke :-)

Same price as the passes on their own. If you were in the market for the passes anyway and only use the box as a spare/for plex then it's a bargain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Anyone wants to buy movie pass 2 months ? or any tips to sell it on ebay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

tharmor wrote: »
    Anyone wants to buy movie pass 2 months ? or any tips to sell it on ebay ?

Yeh I'll take it off you if you want. PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

A turd in the hand more like it :pac: Our boxes are utter ****e since the last update its only going to get worse Roku discontinued that hardware march 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The new Now TV Boxes are out today, at £14.99. I have mine ordered!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

gerrybbadd wrote:

Are they any good in Ireland though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Still only streaming in 720. Shame

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Are they any good in Ireland though?

I'm sure they can be used the same as the previous box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

I bought one of these a while ago and it's a pretty crap bit of kit, unless I got a dodgy one. Always dropping signal, I have a fire stick about a week and it's waaaay better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

ooter wrote: »
    I bought one of these a while ago and it's a pretty crap bit of kit, unless I got a dodgy one. Always dropping signal, I have a fire stick about a week and it's waaaay better.

Ive had a couple of them for months if not a year now and never had an issue with them.

Used for 4OD and also Plex. Fantastically cheap option to use for local streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Thanks. Just ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

ordered through who?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

dwasol wrote: »
    ordered through who?

nowtv.com

adox wrote: »
    Ive had a couple of them for months if not a year now and never had an issue with them.

Used for 4OD and also Plex. Fantastically cheap option to use for local streaming.

Yeah I was using mine for plex but stuff was freezing on it all the time so I got fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Yeah I was using mine for plex but stuff was freezing on it all the time so I got fed up with it.

When you were using Plex did you have the plex server running on a computer and did you also have a torrent client running at the same time? This can cause an issue as they use the same ports.

The new box will only stream the broadcast content at 720p as that is the resolution of broadcast HD, but it has been confirmed that the new box is capable of 1080p output. A user on the plex forums how has had a beta version of the new box has confirmed that he was able to sideload plex onto it. If if is also confirmed that plex can be streamed at 1080p then this is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Were you using the rarflix version of plex? Never had an issue with it myself but when family members had is was:
    server didn't have enough grunt to transcode to the required format
    wifi / router congestion
    wifi channel interferance
    poor wifi signal

Got an email to confirm that the Now TV box has been dispatched. I had expected to be waiting a few days for it to go out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

gerrybbadd wrote:
    I'm sure they can be used the same as the previous box

Can I purchase Sky Sports for just a weekend on it or is that for UK only?

Were you using the rarflix version of plex? Never had an issue with it myself but when family members had is was:
    server didn't have enough grunt to transcode to the required format
    wifi / router congestion
    wifi channel interferance
    poor wifi signal

Yeah I was, but even when I was just using Spotify or YouTube on it it would drop signal also. Tried it for the first time in ages the other day and Spotify was still the same.
    Very hit and miss, and forget about using it in a room that the router's not in..

• Advertisement

Got an email to confirm that the Now TV box has been dispatched. I had expected to be waiting a few days for it to go out.

Mine went too at 5 yesterday afternoon, checked this morning and the package number is still not recognised on the royal mail system so it didn't make it very far, good old royal mail!

Advertisement