Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kilinick

Set up my account Sunday to get an email saying account deactivated today. It's definitely nothing to worry about? Had set up a 3 month Ents pass on Sunday as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

kilinick wrote: »
    Set up my account Sunday to get an email saying account deactivated today. It's definitely nothing to worry about? Had set up a 3 month Ents pass on Sunday as well

For this reason I would be very slow to purchase a 5 month pass. It would be quite sickening to buy one and activate it only for the account to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Do they passes stack up? i.e. I have a 3 month pass at the mo - if I buy another, will this stack on top of the existing 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

They sent me the same mail the last time I bought an additional box and I stupidly used my nowtv account details instead of a brand new purchase, but nothing ever came of it, think that was back in Feb.

I contacted their on line chat team, told them i had entered my password a few times wrong and maybe was that why i got the cancellation email, they asked me where i lived i said northern ireland, they checked my account details which i had changed to a northern ireland address and they said just to ignore the mail.

I never got deactivated. Just remember under no circumstances say you're living in the republic, also if you get as far as level 2 support they can determine what region the box has been sitting in so again if they say you're in the republic make an excuse and say you've been using an Irish VPN for work or something like that.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Do they passes stack up? i.e. I have a 3 month pass at the mo - if I buy another, will this stack on top of the existing 3 months?

You can only add an additional pass when theres 1 month left on your current pass

• Advertisement

rogercross wrote: »
    They sent me the same mail the last time I bought an additional box and I stupidly used my nowtv account details instead of a brand new purchase, but nothing ever came of it, think that was back in Feb.

I contacted their on line chat team, told them i had entered my password a few times wrong and maybe was that why i got the cancellation email, they asked me where i lived i said northern ireland, they checked my account details which i had changed to a northern ireland address and they said just to ignore the mail.

I never got deactivated. Just remember under no circumstances say you're living in the republic, also if you get as far as level 2 support they can determine what region the box has been sitting in so again if they say you're in the republic make an excuse and say you've been using an Irish VPN for work or something like that.

I'm using Unblock US's DNS Settings on my router, so hopefully, this should avoid any potential issues.

The box itself is very good. The YouTube app on the Roku 2 is unusable, unbelievably lag in doing anything. It's miles better on the Now TV box.

I left a video paused (Discovery on demand) last night going to bed. Hit play this morning, it started immediately, no buffering nor nothing. I was well impressed

I'm using Unblock US's DNS Settings on my router, so hopefully, this should avoid any potential issues.

The box itself is very good. The YouTube app on the Roku 2 is unusable, unbelievably lag in doing anything. It's miles better on the Now TV box.

I left a video paused (Discovery on demand) last night going to bed. Hit play this morning, it started immediately, no buffering nor nothing. I was well impressed

Its a great service when it runs correctly, essentially when Game Of Thrones is not on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For this reason I would be very slow to purchase a 5 month pass. It would be quite sickening to buy one and activate it only for the account to be closed.

I believe that they are deactivating accounts based on address and if using an Irish credit card. By changing the address to NI and using the pre-paid card, they have no way of knowing where you are from.

These cards are like redeeming an iTunes card or similar. Input a code on their website and away you go. The only way to block it would be by geo-restricting the whole service and then everyone would be bunched anyway...

tallpaul wrote: »
    I believe that they are deactivating accounts based on address and if using an Irish credit card. By changing the address to NI and using the pre-paid card, they have no way of knowing where you are from.

These cards are like redeeming an iTunes card or similar. Input a code on their website and away you go. The only way to block it would be by geo-restricting the whole service and then everyone would be bunched anyway...

Thats what I do now, I get my friend up north to pick up the pre-paid cards every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

rogercross wrote: »
    Thats what I do now, I get my friend up north to pick up the pre-paid cards every so often.

As an fyi you can get download cards from Game UK, not used them so don't know if UK billing address is required but could be a handier option for those using cards.

• Advertisement

Dave..M wrote: »
    As an fyi you can get download cards from Game UK, not used them so don't know if UK billing address is required but could be a handier option for those using cards.

Oh!!! Didn't know that, i'm good for another few months but I must check that out.

Overall the NowTV service is good, if they could stop making mistakes with their on demand and catchup content that would make things better, the amount of times i've gone to watch a particular episode of south park or live at the apollo for example and its the wrong one or two episode listings play the same episode file

Anyone got the new 2015 boxes yet, any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I got mine yesterday. I can confirm that it does indeed output at 1080p, but you have to go into the settings on the box and select 1080p as it is set to 720p by default. The Sky NowTV content is only 720p, but Youtube 1080p content plays fine. And most importantly for me, Plex loads fine and streams 1080p content.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

Just one thing I ordered using a Irish billing address and shipped to PM order was cancelled by NowTV
    I ordered again using PM as both billing and shipping address and the order was successful this time, same credit card used both times.

Also if you have an existing account don't order this box from that account, just order as a new user without an account to avoid any risk of your account been cancelled.

I got mine yesterday and its all up and running plex.

My two white ones had become very very slow with plex and didnt work 70% of the time.
    Especially with torrents downloading/uploading.

Streamed 2/3 hours on the new one last night with out a hicup on the wifi.
    Box is noticeably snappier too.Even feels heavier.

Am I missing something with Plex?

I know it can be used to stream movies from the computer etc. Do I need a Plex pass for this?

And can it be used for IPTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Just got my box. Setting it up now. When I enter my user name and password I keep getting 'Sorry, an unknown error occurred. Please reenter your username and password.'

Anyone else had this? Any solutions?

*edit* It's not just me. Just saw that they are working on it.

I know it can be used to stream movies from the computer etc. Do I need a Plex pass for this?

You don't need the pass unless you want to access your content remotely.
    Now tv is IPTV from sky but I don't know much about it.

The ability to sideload Plex onto this box is what makes it such a bargain. As brownfinger said, you don't need a Plexpass - that just gives you extra bells and whistles. The free version of plex is great. You install the Plex Media Server software on your PC/Laptop/Nas and install then sideload the Plex client on the NowTV box (this is very easy to do and if you need a hand with it, just PM me). This lets you stream any movies, TV Shows or Music that you have on the computer to the TV. What makes this new box so much better than the old one is that it supports 1080p. The typical scenario would be you have downloaded a full 1080p movie to your laptop, you browse to the Plex channel on the NowTV box and it will stream it to the TV. Plex will also allow you automatically download subtitles and will give you a nice interface with a description of the movie.

This box is basically a sawn-off version of the Roku 2 which costs a lot more. Sky have subsidised because they want you to buy their subscriptions. You don't have to do this, but I often pick up some of the subscription deals on ebay as they are very handy for the TVs in the bedrooms which have no cable. The one subscription does for up to four devices. The only downside with this box is that Sky have hobbled it so that it will not run Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Where is this £10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Techmaster wrote: »
    Where is this £10?

OP 1st version of the box cost £10 in 2013 ... or two 65" Sony UHD's in your money ;)

Techmaster wrote: »
    Where is this £10?

It's an old thread and the £10 refers to the first version of the box, which was a reworked Roku 1. The new version was released last week and is £15 and is a reworked Roku 2. Great bit of kit for the money. The new version gives you 1080P and an Ethernet port. It also has USB and and an SD slot, although I haven't tried them yet as I have no use for them.

bajer101 wrote: »
    It also has USB and and an SD slot, although I haven't tried them yet as I have no use for them.

They're inactive but according to flibblesan on HDUK #210 the Roku Media Player (download) can be sideloaded to utilise the USB port - obviously at the expense of Plex or any other app as only one at a time can be loaded in development mode.

styron wrote: »
    They're inactive but according to flibblesan on HDUK #210 the Roku Media Player (download) can be sideloaded to utilise the USB port - obviously at the expense of Plex or any other app as only one at a time can be loaded in development mode.

Being able to stream at 1080p makes USB and SD redundant for me. I could plug a USB stick into my Blu Ray player and get 1080p if I was ársed, but downloading to the lappy, transferring to USB and then getting up off the sofa just doesn't appeal to me. The ethernet port on the new box is a huge plus. I had an issue with Plex and torrent clients conflicting over wireless which meant that I had to shut down the torrent client on the lappy to get smooth playback. With this new box plugged into the router with an ethernet cable that problem has vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Don't mean to be a pain looking to get rid of my sky and looking at this. From what I gather use a UK billing address should avoid sky blocking account and using a prepaid card my question being where's be place to buy pre paid card for this? Thanks

Don't mean to be a pain looking to get rid of my sky and looking at this. From what I gather use a UK billing address should avoid sky blocking account and using a prepaid card my question being where's be place to buy pre paid card for this? Thanks

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you use Parcel Motel's Belfast address for everything. That said, I have never used Sky for my subscriptions - I have always bought the passes from ebay as they are cheaper. So even if they did block me it wouldn't make a difference.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xnow+tv+pass.TRS0&_nkw=now+tv+pass&_sacat=0

New Box with 3 months entertainment or 2 months movies or 2 days sport - £24.99 Argos with £3.95 delivery to Newtonabbey (per order) + Parcel Motel.

(Even the old boxes are nearly worth it for the extra passes alone)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

each time i try setup up an account, i get
    "Sorry, NOW TV isn't available in Ireland at the moment"

i even used a uk proxy on the website and it wont let me make an account, any idea's.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

Monkeynut wrote: »
    each time i try setup up an account, i get
    "Sorry, NOW TV isn't available in Ireland at the moment"

i even used a uk proxy on the website and it wont let me make an account, any idea's.

thanks

Maybe try a different browser, I had a similar issue using google Chrome but when I used Internet Explorer it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Got my box at the end of last week. Used Parcel Motel as delivery address and billing address. Everything was working fine. Just got an email to say my account has been deactivated. Can't log on to now tv. Just emailed them to reactivate my account. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement