Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Rega wrote: »
    Got my box at the end of last week. Used Parcel Motel as delivery address and billing address. Everything was working fine. Just got an email to say my account has been deactivated. Can't log on to now tv. Just emailed them to reactivate my account. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed, you could also try their online chat, if you can keep your query restricted to basic stuff and don't mention you live in the republic you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Can a mod change the thread title to reflect new pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

rogercross wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, you could also try their online chat, if you can keep your query restricted to basic stuff and don't mention you live in the republic you should be fine.

Yes, this. Do not mention you live in the republic. Sadly I made this mistake. Although apparently some of the agents are now able to tell where you are based, I heard of some who have been caught out despite never mentioning Ireland.

Corholio wrote: »
    Yes, this. Do not mention you live in the republic. Sadly I made this mistake. Although apparently some of the agents are now able to tell where you are based, I heard of some who have been caught out despite never mentioning Ireland.

I can see how, the second level guys were able to tell where my box had been connecting from, luckily for me i was using a vpn so i was showing as being in texas, said i was using it for netflix, that shut him up fairly quickly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cyberboy78

I can't create a now TV account either, using a VPN and it still showing up the message that it's not available in Ireland, have tried through chrome and internet explorer, no luck. Any ideas out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Maybe try a different browser, I had a similar issue using google Chrome but when I used Internet Explorer it worked.

thanks, though i tried everybroser, proxy vpn and for some reason, maybe cookies it kept saying im from ireland.

so i made a sky account on sky website and i could use that then.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Monkeynut wrote: »
    thanks, though i tried everybroser, proxy vpn and for some reason, maybe cookies it kept saying im from ireland.

so i made a sky account on sky website and i could use that then.

thanks

This seems to be a new development as many people have had no problem creating and using accounts from Ireland before. There is something not right here though. If you are using a vpn to mimic being in the UK and Sky are flagging you as being in Ireland, then there is obviously something not right. Sign up for a free trial with the likes of Vyper vpn and set your location as UK. Check your location with any of the many geo lookup sites such as:

https://www.iplocation.net/

And then sign up from an incognito session in Chrome. If that doesn't work, I call bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Just to confirm, the Hola Unblocker doesn't work through Chrome for sign ups.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Just to confirm, the Hola Unblocker doesn't work through Chrome for sign ups.

Ok, so it seems that Sky have definitely clamped down on sign ups from outside the UK if numerous people are saying that they can't even create an account. That is definitely a big change. If they have clamped down on registrations from outside the UK it wouldn't surprise me that Hola wouldn't work. Hola is just a browser plugin and doesn't necessarily mimic your location for Now TV. A real VPN will overcome that and there are a few that offer a trial that should should be sufficient to get you past the sign up process.

It wouldn't bother me particularly id Sky do clamp down on this as the main benefit of this box is that you are getting a Plex client for £15. But I do purchase the Now TV passes so I would be interested in cracking this problem.

Can the people who have had problems signing up with Sky confirm that they can still sideload Plex and use all the other channels on the box? Also, could people who have recently bought a Now TV box share their experiences about whether they have been able to sign up or not. Regardless, I'd be confident of being able to overcome this problem.

I had great luck really.

Tried for ages to create an account, kept keeping the "Not available in ROI" message.

However, turns out, I had created an account in the past, that I'd forgotten about. So, with Unblock US DNS settings on my router, I've no trouble using the new box at all.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I had great luck really.

Tried for ages to create an account, kept keeping the "Not available in ROI" message.

However, turns out, I had created an account in the past, that I'd forgotten about. So, with Unblock US DNS settings on my router, I've no trouble using the new box at all.

That sounds more like it. I just don't buy the story that people can't create a Now TV account, especially if they are using a VPN or DNS proxy. I would hate to think that people could be turned off this bargain because people are saying they can't sign up for Now TV. If anyone else can't sign up, just holler and I am confident that it can be sorted.

Just created an account through Firefox, don't know what was going on, had VPN connected. Very very strange.

bajer101 wrote: »
    That sounds more like it. I just don't buy the story that people can't create a Now TV account, especially if they are using a VPN or DNS proxy. I would hate to think that people could be turned off this bargain because people are saying they can't sign up for Now TV. If anyone else can't sign up, just holler and I am confident that it can be sorted.

What u on about, if u have a solution 'holler'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭bromley52

Perhaps this is old news but you can now send out invites for NowTV and you will get £10 for each person that signs up through your invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Are the people who are having trouble, paying customers?

I pay for the entertainment package and have never had any trouble. Are they clamping down on people simply availing of a cheap plex box maybe?

Cyberboy78 wrote: »
    What u on about, if u have a solution 'holler'

What I am on about is that you should try the solutions that I suggested and let us know what happened. What I am also on about is that if you hit a stumbling block at any stage I will help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I remember reading ages ago that they were launching in ROI "soon", so much for that pipe dream.

I pay for the entertainment package and have never had any trouble. Are they clamping down on people simply availing of a cheap plex box maybe?

I have suspicions about the people who are saying that they have problems signing up. They are shouting the loudest, but I thing we have narrowed it down to one person. Lots of people have got this box and have signed up with no problem. I could be wrong and maybe Sky have clamped down. But I will happily engage with anyone has a problem and solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Hi Danny. Do you use an Irish credit / debit card and an Irish billing address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I use an Irish debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

I use an Irish debit card.

Thanks. I only set my account up on Friday and had it deactivated today. I was wondering if it was because I used an Irish debit card.

bajer101 wrote: »
    I have suspicions about the people who are saying that they have problems signing up. They are shouting the loudest, but I thing we have narrowed it down to one person. Lots of people have got this box and have signed up with no problem. I could be wrong and maybe Sky have clamped down. But I will happily engage with anyone has a problem and solve it.

U sound extremely paranoid my friend, i simply had an issue setting up a now tv account while using chrome and IE with a VPN, it just so happens Firefox worked and I informed people of this. Chill down buddy or stop posting on forums!! Look at post #2339, same problem as me. BTW I wont be wasting my time replying to your nonsense in the future so bye bye.

Cyberboy78 wrote: »
    U sound extremely paranoid my friend, i simply had an issue setting up a now tv account while using chrome and IE with a VPN, it just so happens Firefox worked and I informed people of this. Chill down buddy or stop posting on forums!! Look at post #2339, same problem as me. BTW I wont be wasting my time replying to your nonsense in the future so bye bye.

Not really paranoid. Just an IT expert who has worked in the field for the last 30 years and just calling bul****.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

this is the route i took to make a nowtv account, the sky id works too.
    https://skyid.sky.com/signup/myskyauthorised?successUrl=https://secure.sky.com/mysky-homepage&cancelUrl=https://secure.sky.com/mysky-homepage/indexb

once i did that i could then finish off the activation on the nowtv site with no problems.

i used hola, didnt work, then the freeukvpn didnt work i kept getting this Capture.png

anyhow, once i activated the account and then logged in, i sideloaded plex and all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

How long after ordering this does it usually take to arrive at your Parcel Motel locker?

I don't live near one, so will need to time my visit to Dublin.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    How long after ordering this does it usually take to arrive at your Parcel Motel locker?

I had mine in 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

Raoul Duke wrote: »

I don't live near one, so will need to time my visit to Dublin.

Normally get a dispatch email one day after the order and it takes about 2 days from royal mail. I ordered mine on Wednesday afternoon, got the dispatch email on Thursday and was in parcelmotel for pick-up on Saturday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

As a related aside, we've used the Now TV app with Chromecast for quite some time (i.e. we don't have a Now TV box). The app was updated recently (and functionality of the previous version withdrawn) and now no longer works, seemingly because we're in Ireland. This is with my normal Sky account.

All I can say is I've been using the service for well over a year or more now and I've had no issues related to me being in Ireland, I had to change DNS providers to get ITV Encore to work but aside from that everything has been fine.

I've signed friends up too and they haven't done half what I have to hide where they're located and they've had no issues either, NowTv boxes, PS4 and Roku 3's

• Advertisement

I have ordered two now TV boxes and gotten two 'your account has been deactivated' messages after each order, after the first message I could still access my account, now when I try it states there is a problem with my account and ring a UK phone number. I have emailed in the hope of not giving the game away and have gotten an "undeliverable" message. Am I snookered and not going to get these boxes? Do they issue refunds when they decide to deactivate accounts? Am I just very unlucky???

Advertisement