Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

dbit wrote: »
    Why not?, it should be able to run a tiny linux shell and xbmc/kodi can run on pretty much any OS out there , why would you think that ?

I haven't heard of Kodi/XBMC being loaded onto either the Now TV box, or the Roku itself.

Plex / Rarflix, sideload no bother. I'd love to see Kodi on there myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Ye if its an ARM cpu then it should be possible or even if its x86 . Ive googled away there for a bit ( At work so not much time) Mirroring from another device is possible but thats not the win I would look for . there was alot of cahtter on getting it ported over just need to dig a bit more. Havent found its internal specs list just yet either.

Its possible to load kodi into plex with an add on called PleXBMC

This could get interesting....

Hmm from what i can tell the roku lt is using this family type :- BCM 2835 and in one of the second last updates for kodi it has that cpu support :-
    kernel 4.0.y:
    New commits in this build:
    spi: bcm2835: fix all checkpath --strict messages (1f93a1bb)
    spi: bcm2835: fill/drain SPI-fifo as much as possible during interrupt (0368652a)
    spi: bcm2835: clock divider can be a multiple of 2 (e4913453)
    spi: bcm2835: enable support of 3-wire mode (cf39d752)
    spi: bcm2835: move to the transfer_one driver model (02326c9f)
    spi: bcm2835: fix code formatting issue (eaca8950)
    spi: bcm2835: fill FIFO before enabling interrupts to reduce interrupts/message (db1e62a6)
    spi: bcm2835: transform native-cs to gpio-cs on first spi_setup (c62365f3)
    spi: bcm2835: enabling polling mode for transfers shorter than 30us (f66b21b2)
    spi: bcm2835: change timeout of polling driver to 1s (9359f0b2)
    smsx95xx: fix crimes against truesize (a39c7de2)
    smsc95xx: Disable turbo mode by default (3cc7bbf6)
    HiFiBerry Digi: set SPDIF status bits for sample rate (a82d9527)

Found on :- http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224025&pid=1985027

this is all for the latest build Isengard ...........

HAve to run here for the mo but it does look entirely possible to me Amazon Fire was hacked and also carries same cpu architecture as the Roku LT , same cpu at least , latest build has that cpu supported , now how to get root and get a lini distro on it . Roku team will go nuts as they are very much of the "pay for it" house. Raspberry pi is only 30 quid and it does kodi not a bodder .

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Its possible to load kodi into plex with an add on called PleXBMC

This could get interesting....

Yes thats the mirroring i mentioned above.

• Advertisement

dbit wrote: »
    Hmm from what i can tell the roku lt is using this family type :- BCM 2835 and in one of the second last updates for kodi it has that cpu support :-
    kernel 4.0.y:
    New commits in this build:
    spi: bcm2835: fix all checkpath --strict messages (1f93a1bb)
    spi: bcm2835: fill/drain SPI-fifo as much as possible during interrupt (0368652a)
    spi: bcm2835: clock divider can be a multiple of 2 (e4913453)
    spi: bcm2835: enable support of 3-wire mode (cf39d752)
    spi: bcm2835: move to the transfer_one driver model (02326c9f)
    spi: bcm2835: fix code formatting issue (eaca8950)
    spi: bcm2835: fill FIFO before enabling interrupts to reduce interrupts/message (db1e62a6)
    spi: bcm2835: transform native-cs to gpio-cs on first spi_setup (c62365f3)
    spi: bcm2835: enabling polling mode for transfers shorter than 30us (f66b21b2)
    spi: bcm2835: change timeout of polling driver to 1s (9359f0b2)
    smsx95xx: fix crimes against truesize (a39c7de2)
    smsc95xx: Disable turbo mode by default (3cc7bbf6)
    HiFiBerry Digi: set SPDIF status bits for sample rate (a82d9527)

Found on :- http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224025&pid=1985027

this is all for the latest build Isengard ...........

HAve to run here for the mo but it does look entirely possible to me Amazon Fire was hacked and also carries same cpu architecture as the Roku LT , same cpu at least , latest build has that cpu supported , now how to get root and get a lini distro on it . Roku team will go nuts as they are very much of the "pay for it" house. Raspberry pi is only 30 quid and it does kodi not a bodder .
    I'll admit, that's all a bit over my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

No address and Irish card.
    After 45 mins trying to sort it the agent had to put me up higher but there was no one available. Due an email in 24-48 hours ;(

Mind me asking how you got on with the support people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

rogercross wrote: »
    Mind me asking how you got on with the support people?

I find the best way is live chat, its all recorded, they can't sign of as long as you reply when they ask are you still there and you can drag it out until they get sick of dealing with you and give you what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

Hello, I have just purchased one box through Amazon. It was shipped directly to my Irish address.

When I try to set the box up, it is asking to activate through the site. But when I try to do it through an existing account it goes to a step payment details and asking for a credit card with a mandatory UK option as billing address. How do I overcome that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

this may help someone, if not dont shoot me, i use an app called browsec, if i set it for the netherlands and log on to amazon.co.uk, i immediatly get a pop up saying that amazon do not ship to the netherlands, also on ebay i get dutch ads, it has a uk choice so it may work for the items under discussion here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Ordered a new one at the weekend and received notification that it was on its way - Royal mail advice email.
    then received email from Nowtv that my account had been deactivated. I Have 3 of the original boxes.
    Does this mean the new box won't be shipped?
    Credit card has been charged.

Box arrived - happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Latest version of plex released 15 days ago. Gives Plex on Roku/NowTV a big facelift.

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases/tag/v3.1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've asked this before on this thread and didn't get a reply unfortunately, but hoping someone will this time.

I bought one of these in the North about 6 months ago, probably more at this stage actually. It's still in it's box.

Can someone please (pretty please) give a layperson or point them in the direction of getting the best use out of one of these boxes....IN ENGLISH (!). From reading the thread I can tell I'm far from the only one who doesn't fully get what's going on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I've asked this before on this thread and didn't get a reply unfortunately, but hoping someone will this time.

I bought one of these in the North about 6 months ago, probably more at this stage actually. It's still in it's box.

Can someone please (pretty please) give a layperson or point them in the direction of getting the best use out of one of these boxes....IN ENGLISH (!). From reading the thread I can tell I'm far from the only one who doesn't fully get what's going on here!

The real benefit of this box is that you can install Plex on it. Have a read of this. It explains what plex is and how to install it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/now-tv-tips-and-tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

First you need to sign up to a Now TV subscription to activate the box. (There is a free trial of Sky Movies available - I went with that and cancelled the next day).

To sign up to this subscription you need to be either in the UK or use a VPN or Smart DNS service to trick Now TV into thinking you are from the UK. I use Overplay Smart DNS personally (www.overplay.net)

Once this subscription is set up you can sign in to your Now TV box.

Once the Now TV box is set up for normal use, you can install Plex.

1) You need to put the device into Developer mode
    2) You need to download the Plex zip file to your computer

Follow the instructions here to do this

To use Plex you will need to have a Plex Media server set up on a PC or server. There are loads of guides on Youtube as to how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

givecredit wrote: »
    Latest version of plex released 15 days ago. Gives Plex on Roku/NowTV a big facelift.

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases/tag/v3.1.5

Is this worth downloading? Ive been using rarflix as found it more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

adox wrote: »
    Is this worth downloading? Ive been using rarflix as found it more stable.

I tried it and went back to rarflix.
    Pity the movie trailer addon doesn't work on RF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

I've bought this box and got the deactivated mail already and I haven't even received the box.

I just bought this box for plex, nothing else. Will I still be able to use it for plex?

I've bought this box and got the deactivated mail already and I haven't even received the box.

I just bought this box for plex, nothing else. Will I still be able to use it for plex?

I got the same email, even before I got the box too.

Have had no problems. Got onto their live chat, explained about the email, they told me not to worry etc. Have had no bother at all

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I got the same email, even before I got the box too.

Have had no problems. Got onto their live chat, explained about the email, they told me not to worry etc. Have had no bother at all

So I'll be able to re-register? Like I said don't care about anything like the passes. I may be able to register with fake details just to use Plex anyway

So I'll be able to re-register? Like I said don't care about anything like the passes. I may be able to register with fake details just to use Plex anyway

I didn't have to re-register at all to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

May be a stupid question, but is plex the samething as Paddyflix?

I ask this because I know someone that has bought one of these boxes with Paddyflix installed on it for 100E, and was then told that theyd have to pay 100E yearly subscription now also.

How easy/difficult is it to install plex also for someone that wouldnt be overly computer-savy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

stuba wrote: »
    May be a stupid question, but is plex the samething as Paddyflix?

I ask this because I know someone that has bought one of these boxes with Paddyflix installed on it for 100E, and was then told that theyd have to pay 100E yearly subscription now also.

How easy/difficult is it to install plex also for someone that wouldnt be overly computer-savy?

Plex is easy to install but requires a computer to act as a server to host media, plugins etc. never heard of paddyflix but with €100 per year subscription its probably illegal and could disappear at any moment.

Plex is easy to install but requires a computer to act as a server to host media, plugins etc. never heard of paddyflix but with €100 per year subscription its probably illegal and could disappear at any moment.

Paddyflix, yeah illegal but around for years and don't think it will go anywhere soon. It only offers VOD. There are others that offer IPTV with VOD also.

NowTV deactivated my account again today as well as my movie trial. But my Plex is fine which is all I really wanted it for so doesn't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

stuba wrote: »

and here is an 11min video (download to finished install) where a guy sets up a server on his PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

I've ordered one of these to my mates address in the UK & he's bringing it back to Eire in a few weeks. When I get it here. I connect it to the WiFi & then what do I see?
    Do I have channels?
    Is it only catch up apps?
    What do I get on plex ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dwasol wrote: »
    I've ordered one of these to my mates address in the UK & he's bringing it back to Eire in a few weeks. When I get it here. I connect it to the WiFi & then what do I see?
    Do I have channels?
    Is it only catch up apps?
    What do I get on plex ?

Do as per the instructions in the post above yours. There are many guides on Youtube on how to get Plex and what you can do with it. Its a steep enough learning curve, but if you get it up & running over the next few weeks, I guarantee you that you'll have more than you can chew to enjoy over the Christmas & beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know if you can pick these up in any UK bricks & mortar stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Anyone know if you can pick these up in any UK bricks & mortar stores?

Argos, Currys, PC World are a couple off the top of my head...

Advertisement