Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JohnnyRoyal

Right , firstly Thanks OP and OP for £2.50 deal. Got mine Yesterday. Breeze to set up. Movies stream no bother. Plex set up no problem and streaming great aswell. Also, due to this post, now have UK Itunes account to get Now TV app for Ipad, a Parcel Motel account and learned all about Parcel Motel for my amazon buying, got trial account with Unotelly to test the foreign DNS servers, was able to change UPC router and got to download USTVNOW set up and Pandora (on Ipad). Cheers Everyone! :-)

Other things to note. While I could see the navi-x app, couldn't get it to work through the nowtv box.
    Could get Netflix channel working through (Other channels in plex) but don't have account to test.

Questions arisen, whats stopping me buying another box and logging in with same account to the box and then giving it to the parents for them to watch the films for 6 months? (assuming not online at same time)
    Any chance with automatic software updates Sky could block plex app or Dev mode completely?
    Lastly , how do you swtich the thing off? :-)

Rgds

JR

Questions arisen, whats stopping me buying another box and logging in with same account to the box and then giving it to the parents for them to watch the films for 6 months? (assuming not online at same time)

You can have up to 4 devices with Now TV on it and watch on two at the same time. See here.
    Any chance with automatic software updates Sky could block plex app or Dev mode completely?

Yes
    Lastly , how do you swtich the thing off? :-)

By unplugging it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

fdevine wrote: »
    It's NBC that have the US rights to EPL games.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/29/4568642/2013-14-nbc-epl-tv-schedule

i think NBC is on it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Can confirm that Now TV accepts new free pass code after the last one runs out. Thanks again OP :)
    fdevine wrote: »
    FREE SKY SPORTS DAY PASSES

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/1st-test 0 left
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/2nd-test few left
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/3rd-test

Either link will work, but more passes (600+) left on 3rd-test link

Select 'continue without facebook', go to 'find treasure'

Simple treasure hunt game. Find Ashes urns. Find three out of five and answer a question correctly on each urn, enter name & email (any one seems to work and isn't needed to claim the code)

Code is revealed on screen. Note the code and redeem on NowTV website.

Only one code can be reeemed at a time it seems but there is no indication that codes expire,

Clear cookies and go again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

WIZWEB wrote: »
    Can confirm that Now TV accepts new free pass code after the last one runs out. Thanks again OP :)

I have one days free pass if someone needs it, i dont watch sport :) pm me if interested, first come, first served.

EDIT: And its gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

meathman0 wrote: »
    Is there any extra charge for movies, apart from the £2.50 for the first six months, also is plex on App Store ?
    Nice little box for £10.

No extra charge tho people have said the quality of the video is not as good as Netflix.

Plex can be "side loaded" - see page 1-ish.
    You'll need to load the Plex media server onto your PC mac or Linux machine. There's an app called PlayTo in the Roku store that's free and works with Android. Don't think there's an IOS solution right now - AFAIK Plex on IOS only recognises Apple TV not the NowTV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

JAMM222 wrote: »
    i think NBC is on it as well

All the free to view US channels are on it (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS) but the likes of Discovery etc. are subscription only.

I think the issue will be the amount of matches being shown on NBC itself.

"NBC itself will air 10 matches live on Saturday afternoons, while NBC Sports Network (soon-to-be rebranded as NBCSN) will air 57 matches on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. CNBC will chip in with two additional Sunday matches, while Telemundo and mun2 will handle Spanish-language broadcasts of 27 matches.

NBC will also make every game available via TV Everywhere (the NBC Sports Live Extra App)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cheers op, setup mine earlier, two beaming kids watching monster inc. its already paird for itself. Installed plex, can't find linke for the netflix plugin and youtube plugin tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

Easy as pie, get Plex on it and then just drop the navi x plugin for Roku (google) into the folder, restart and off you go

i'm sure i've missed something, i thought i was some bit of a techie but, how do i drop the plugin into a folder? my only option is to replace delete or convert to cramfs? once plex is installed how do i then get to teh installation folders to drop in the plugin?

by the way thanks OP i tried to talk myself out of it for a couple of weeks but caved in and got one

The folders are on the server and not on the Roku. In windows right click the plex button in the bottom right and click "open plug ins folder", should be similar options for other OS's.

• Advertisement

The folders are on the server and not on the Roku. In windows right click the plex button in the bottom right and click "open plug ins folder", should be similar options for other OS's.

thanks man, i would have been here for a while longer only for you, best get my plex server installed so :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Can someone tell me how to stream us or UK TV stations to this box and what I might need.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

Would anyone be able to tell me how to change the dns setting on my UPC CISCO router so I can view the iplayer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

dave011 wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to tell me how to change the dns setting on my UPC CISCO router so I can view the iplayer etc

it's earlier in the thread on post 166

chopsey wrote: »
    thanks man, i would have been here for a while longer only for you, best get my plex server installed so :/

got Plex Media Server working on my old XP pc last night and it looks good, definitely worth the 12 euro.

going to try to install Arch Linux on my PogoPlug (iBOOD about 6 months ago that is sitting at home in a box) and put Plex media server on there to see how it works.

can i buy a second one of these for the other telly and stream to both? is now tv restricted to one box per house or anything like that?

BTW has anyone used http://tunlr.net/get-started/ for DNS to get iPlayer working? does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

chopsey wrote: »

BTW has anyone used http://tunlr.net/get-started/ for DNS to get iPlayer working? does it work?

Changing DNS settings / using tunlr or unblock is something I have a vague understanding of, but am wary of changing the settings on the router - doesn't that mean that all your internet traffic goes through the new server? Does that not have security implications for credit cart use, passwords etc? Can someone give a brief overview of this or point to a changing dns settings for dummies page? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Anybody else find the quality of the stream is awful, like some pirate in a cinema with a camcorder?

bmaxi wrote: »
    Anybody else find the quality of the stream is awful, like some pirate in a cinema with a camcorder?

From the Now TV app? I find it perfect tbh, sometimes it will drop to lower resolution if my internet is being hammered by others in the house but besides that it's fine. Maybe try a speedtest on your phone near where the Now box is to make sure it's getting good signal form the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Is it time this thread was moved or forked to another Boards forum? It's getting into techie areas rather than Bargain Alert.

I see there's a HTPC & Media Centre forum where strangely enough nobody seems aware of this little gem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057000944

might be good to start merging as there are a lot of knowledgable folk over on the HTPC & Media Centre forum

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Wait, does Plex server stream the video over the WIFI network (i.e no bandwidth is used) or does the plex server upload video to the internet so its downloaded with your internet connection to view on the nowtv box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I have been messing around with my DNS server settings but still cant seem to get Iplayer. Does anyone have a uk server address I can use . Like one you guy already know works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does this box have parental settings and/or profiles that can do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Wait, does Plex server stream the video over the WIFI network (i.e no bandwidth is used) or does the plex server upload video to the internet so its downloaded with your internet connection to view on the nowtv box?

It streams over your local network so it doesn't upload it to the internet and redownload it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

What does this box actually do? Why buy an extra box just for iplayer ? What else does it actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Correct me here if im wrong here.

But for BBC Iplayer . I have to subcribe to Overplay.com at 5 dollors a month.

Then choose the UK DNS server.

Enter the address codes into my router DNS settings

Restart everything and then

Its there. Is there a free way to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

From the Now TV app? I find it perfect tbh, sometimes it will drop to lower resolution if my internet is being hammered by others in the house but besides that it's fine. Maybe try a speedtest on your phone near where the Now box is to make sure it's getting good signal form the router.
    Yeh, my download speeds are not the best usually about 3mbs and that might account for blurry images but the whole thing looks like the camera is too close to the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Yeah i did but i still dont understand the attraction. What does it do that a telly doesnt? Is it a media player than can play files aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I have a smart tv and its like a lottery if it will play a file or not, subtitles are a real pita, dlna is patchy at best on both the tv and server.
    Now tv box with plex is fantastic, plugged in a hard drive, pointed plex to it and it downloads movie covers, descriptions, actors etc. and sets it all up automatically, works perfectly without any shenannigans. You can search by genre, year, actors, name etc. resume works perfectly. Its like your own personaly netflix.
    Also has spotify which is great for the technophobe wife :0
    All for the price of a media remote.

Advertisement