Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Same here. I preferred the old layout. It's nive and all, but I can't access half the stuff shown, either by not have subscription access, or Region locks

So what do you use if for ? Plex?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

TimHorton wrote: »

The main apps I tend to use are NowTV, All4, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, and Ryans TvPlayer App for free to air stuff. (replaced plex to install the tvplayer)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

TimHorton wrote: »

I have the entertainment pass, but the new layout shows content from all the passes, as well as BBC, ITV and other Geo Locked apps. That's what I mean.

I don't use it for Plex. I have the FilmOn app sideloaded instead! Truth be told, the think I use most often on it is YouTube

Anyone who is on the entertainment pass check out a new show starting on Fox this weekend, 11.22.63, its a miniseries based on a Stephen King novel, quite entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I brought this box 2 years ago when it came out and decide to get a ruku box I now have a combo of Netflix now TV and FTA/Saorview, PLEX and you Tube which satisfies all my family's TV needs - and I think its great.

• Advertisement

I brought this box 2 years ago when it came out and decide to get a ruku box I now have a combo of Netflix now TV and FTA/Saorview, PLEX and you Tube which satisfies all my family's TV needs - and I think its great.

You're not getting saorview through the roku/nowtv box are you?

rogercross wrote: »
    You're not getting saorview through the roku/nowtv box are you?

Sorry no that's a separate system that works of an Ariel.

Sorry no that's a separate system that works of an Ariel.

Ah ok, and there was me thinking there was another app out there for me to play with :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 reachdev

same question as in post #2800-02, and I apologize in advance for asking this question again as it has been asked million times already.

I received the now tx box with 6 months Ent pass(got it from amazon and delivered to PM). When I try to register on nowtv.com/bigentsbox it say the service is not available in Ireland.
    How do I register on nowtv and get the box up and running?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

reachdev wrote: »
    same question as in post #2800-02, and I apologize in advance for asking this question again as it has been asked million times already.

I received the now tx box with 6 months Ent pass(got it from amazon and delivered to PM). When I try to register on nowtv.com/bigentsbox it say the service is not available in Ireland.
    How do I register on nowtv and get the box up and running?

Thanks.

I typed in UK proxy server to google and went to the site that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

Lads, has anyone ever had the situation that I have at the moment.

I can access the box with no issues. I can look at Live TV, Sky 1, Sky Living etc. etc., can see the iPlayer no issue, but I cannot play any of the archived material through the Entertainment pass.

I have done a soft factory reset, a hard reset on the back of the box, but neither have worked.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

boccy23 wrote: »
    Lads, has anyone ever had the situation that I have at the moment.

I can access the box with no issues. I can look at Live TV, Sky 1, Sky Living etc. etc., can see the iPlayer no issue, but I cannot play any of the archived material through the Entertainment pass.

I have done a soft factory reset, a hard reset on the back of the box, but neither have worked.

Any ideas?

Are you using a smartdns or VPN by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

The first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Would anyone have a link to the latest Plex client please ? For a white box (if that matters)
    Muchos gracias !

EDIT
    This works
    https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/releases

• Registered Users Posts: 4 reachdev

I activated the pass on the 8th and today it stops working.

Now TV live chat says that the services are not supported in ROI hence the pass was deactivated and they cant help.

I have the NOW TV box connected to my router. Nothing special and it worked fine for 3 days.

I suppose most of you have it working?

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

I just discovered nowtv eats a lot of data unless you have an unlimited package it's very expensive

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

iisollie wrote: »
    I just discovered nowtv eats a lot of data unless you have an unlimited package it's very expensive

That is true of all video based service. Youtube, RTE Player, Netflix, etc. they are all the same. Video is one of the most data intensive internet services you can use.

You should only use such services if you are on unlimited broadband service.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

reachdev wrote: »
    I activated the pass on the 8th and today it stops working.

Now TV live chat says that the services are not supported in ROI hence the pass was deactivated and they cant help.

I have the NOW TV box connected to my router. Nothing special and it worked fine for 3 days.

I suppose most of you have it working?

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

I try another live chat and tell a few white lies that your working in the UK and if they ask about your bank details,just say your Irish and haven't moved bank yet to the UK. The might not check your IP and if they do could spin some yarn about using a DNS to view RTE player in Ireland

I try another live chat and tell a few white lies that your working in the UK and if they ask about your bank details,just say your Irish and haven't moved bank yet to the UK. The might not check your IP and if they do could spin some yarn about using a DNS to view RTE player in Ireland

I have spoken to there chat a few a times and they are based in India - and they have never asked me anything on my location - I would just say that you live in the UK and work in Ireland if they say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Lots of people live in Northern Ireland(UK) and either work in the Republic and/or have Irish Bank accounts and visa cards. They can't be excluded from this service.

There is no geo checking on Nowtv.

Set up your account with a random NI address (not parcel motel ...too many people using it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭techdiver

For those of you with the NowTV box and Plex installed, can you use the android app to control/cast to the NowTV app?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

techdiver wrote: »
    For those of you with the NowTV box and Plex installed, can you use the android app to control/cast to the NowTV app?

Yes you can indeed.
    Plex needs to be open on box for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Just ordered one of these on amazon to use plex. It comes with a 4 month movie pass. Is it possible to sell on the movie pass on these? Also, are there any issues I need to look out for when installing plex?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

tipperary wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these on amazon to use plex. It comes with a 4 month movie pass. Is it possible to sell on the movie pass on these? Also, are there any issues I need to look out for when installing plex?

I sold a pass on adverts.ie no bother.

Also, Plex is all I use mine for, works great, no problems.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Yes you can indeed.
    Plex needs to be open on box for it to work.

One other question. I know it's probably answered somewhere else on this thread, but it is so large.

Is the NowTV (black) based on the Original Roku 2 or the updated Roku 2 (2015) with the faster processor?

One other question. I know it's probably answered somewhere else on this thread, but it is so large.

Is the NowTV (black) based on the Original Roku 2 or the updated Roku 2 (2015) with the faster processor?

It should be based on the Roku 3 I think, I have both and they work great.

You'll have no problems running apps on the new black box, the white was getting fairly slow with age.

It should be based on the Roku 3 I think, I have both and they work great.

You'll have no problems running apps on the new black box, the white was getting fairly slow with age.

I'm trying to decide between this box and the new Roku 2 (essentially a Roku 3 without the extra functions on the remote). The lack of Netflix is the big one on the NowTV and the fact that you can only use the old Plex app along with the "chance" that Sky could potentially lock out the dev mode in the future and block the use of Plex (however unlikely).

I'm trying to decide between this box and the new Roku 2 (essentially a Roku 3 without the extra functions on the remote). The lack of Netflix is the big one on the NowTV and the fact that you can only use the old Plex app along with the "chance" that Sky could potentially lock out the dev mode in the future and block the use of Plex (however unlikely).

I know what you mean, from my own observations of having both the pros for a roku is:

Being able to add private channels (leaving dev mode for something specific)
    Netflix/Amazon Prime support
    Headphone support through the remote.

Aside from that the boxes are the same really, with the NowTV being that much cheaper that if a new one comes out every year or two theres no guilt in getting it. No major investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Being able to add private channels (leaving dev mode for something specific)
    Netflix/Amazon Prime support
    Headphone support through the remote.

The Roku 2 is a good purchase. Circa 65 euro now on amazon. But if you like watching Sky Sports News buy the Now tv box. Its not available on Roku unless you get the Sky Sports sub from Nowtv.

• Advertisement

Anyone know a free way of getting RTE tv channels to play on the Roku/NowTv?

Any apps out there that could do it?

Advertisement