Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

rogercross wrote: »
    Anyone know a free way of getting RTE tv channels to play on the Roku/NowTv?

Any apps out there that could do it?

Not free but the only way I can is via a plex server Rog.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Not free but the only way I can is via a plex server Rog.

Doh, so what do you use? The mrs really wants to watch this first dates thing that starts next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

givecredit wrote: »
    The Roku 2 is a good purchase. Circa 65 euro now on amazon. But if you like watching Sky Sports News buy the Now tv box. Its not available on Roku unless you get the Sky Sports sub from Nowtv.

I got a Roku 2 with 3 month entertainment pass for 50 on Littlewoods Ireland. Look around online and you'll get a 10% money off code too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I got a Roku 2 with 3 month entertainment pass for 50 on Littlewoods Ireland. Look around online and you'll get a 10% money off code too

There are 2 Roku 2 models. The newer model is the 4205x model. Roku are trying to flog off the older models by including Nowtv Passes.

Buyer beware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Doh, so what do you use? The mrs really wants to watch this first dates thing that starts next week

I think all of that series is available on the "All 4" app if you have android

• Advertisement

There are 2 Roku 2 models. The newer model is the 4205x model. Roku are trying to flog off the older models by including Nowtv Passes.

Buyer beware!

Ya, mine hasn't got an ethernet port at all! That being said, the headphone Jack in the remote control is a Godsend, it really is very useful

Ya, mine hasn't got an ethernet port at all! That being said, the headphone Jack in the remote control is a Godsend, it really is very useful

Wow, thats the older model again. I didnt think they were still selling that one. It must be a while ago since you bought it.

The last 2 model Roku 2s have got more processing power. The Headphone jack is a nice feature. I had it on an older model roku. They are rolling that feature out now on the Roku phone app. You will be able to listen to the audio through headphones plugged into you phone.

Any one thinking of a Roku, have a look at their new streaming stick, just launched in US. It will have similar processing power to the new Roku2 and 3 but for cheaper price.

Edit. Roku confusing its customers again. I mean that 2016 streaming stick, not the 2014 streaming stick. The 2016 version is 8 times faster for same price. (Black in colour, avoid the purple one)

https://www.roku.com/en-us/products/streaming-stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭JDxtra

But is the Now TV app. available on plain Roku devices? If it's used in Ireland I expect some issues with the app. being available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Wow, thats the older model again. I didnt think they were still selling that one. It must be a while ago since you bought it.

The last 2 model Roku 2s have got more processing power. The Headphone jack is a nice feature. I had it on an older model roku. They are rolling that feature out now on the Roku phone app. You will be able to listen to the audio through headphones plugged into you phone.

Any one thinking of a Roku, have a look at their new streaming stick, just launched in US. It will have similar processing power to the new Roku2 and 3 but for cheaper price.

Edit. Roku confusing its customers again. I mean that 2016 streaming stick, not the 2014 streaming stick. The 2016 version is 8 times faster for same price. (Black in colour, avoid the purple one)

https://www.roku.com/en-us/products/streaming-stick

Was looking into that. There is no release date for UK/Ireland/Europe yet and the only place it can be got, is through eBay (running the gauntlet of customs), plus the price point is quite close to the Roku 2 either way. It's $49.99 in the US on Amazon for pre-order. I wouldn't be surprised if the price is significantly higher over here (as it usually is for electronics).

Edit: I'm actually tempted to just get the old purple stick. It's only £29.99 including delivery on Amazon (€38 approx). It's not for my primary room anyway. It's only for occasional use for the time being. I can upgrade down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 reachdev

I have spoken to there chat a few a times and they are based in India - and they have never asked me anything on my location - I would just say that you live in the UK and work in Ireland if they say anything.

Did that without any luck.

Money down the drain.

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    But is the Now TV app. available on plain Roku devices? If it's used in Ireland I expect some issues with the app. being available.

Set up a UK roku account using smart DNS. An Irish roku account is virtually useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Set up a UK roku account using smart DNS. An Irish roku account is virtually useless.
    Interesting. Is it needed for ongoing usage of Now TV app? Or is it just needed to get the apps. installed at setup time?

JDxtra wrote: »
    Interesting. Is it needed for ongoing usage of Now TV app? Or is it just needed to get the apps. installed at setup time?

You just need it when opening Roku account on your pc. Obviously if you want access to BBCi player ITV player etc, SmartDNS will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

PlayTo Roku Channel needs to be installed
    http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/17846/playto

Then I installed PlayTo Android App (Paid version)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dayglows.vivid.lite&hl=en

From the Android app I can fire up either local media from DLNA servers / PCs or I can go to Online Media and in there you will find TV and FilmOn.

I now have all the Freeview UK channels on my TV via this app :)

Is this still the best method for running filmon? If not please share an alternative.

soirish wrote: »
    Is this still the best method for running filmon? If not please share an alternative.

http://blog.artesea.co.uk/2016/01/tvplayer-on-roku-or-now-tv.html#comment-3802

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Hi.

Is this box any good for watching tv on ?

" Pushingbest Smart TV Box 1080P Full Quad Core Android TV Box Fully Loaded Streaming Media Player with built in KODI XBMC Android 5.1 Lollipop CPU Amlogic S905 MXQ Pro £30 "
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pushingbest-Android-Streaming-Lollipop-Amlogic/dp/B01DD7F8XA?ie=UTF8&ref_=gbps_img_s-3_6027_912d2b86&smid=A3ABV92VC3AQCT

Sale is over in 2hrs.

Cool little update to the FilmOn app, now optimized to also be used in SD on the White boxes that use non HDMI connections.

Cool little update to the FilmOn app, now optimized to also be used in SD on the White boxes that use non HDMI connections.

Does the app auto update or will i need to side load a new Zip?

Does the app auto update or will i need to side load a new Zip?

With a ROKU it'll auto update, with NowTV it has to be sideloaded each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Del007

:D

Are the channels HD on the black box?

• Advertisement

Del007 wrote: »
    :D

Are the channels HD on the black box?

No.

The most recent update (1.1.4) to the app is to support watching on a non HD screen. Either on the NOW TV white box, or the old Roku’s using an AV cable.
    There are no changes for any one using the app via HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 artesea

Just to say hi to everyone and thanks for using/promoting my app. Happy to answer questions but can't promise to provide all the features you might want.

artesea wrote: »
    Just to say hi to everyone and thanks for using/promoting my app. Happy to answer questions but can't promise to provide all the features you might want.

Welcome and a massive thanks from us Irish folk :)

Love the app, I'm using it more than my NowTV subscription :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Del007

Cheers for your hard work.

Is it possible to add an iptv player to your app? That would be very handy

The app is a godsend for us, as we cannot get Sky TV due to there being massive trees blocking the signal, and all we have had is the 6 or 8 Saorview channels for the past 2 years!

My young fella watches C Beebies and that all day long!

1.2.0 is out. It has more (but lower quality) channels. Only ones which jump out at me are a few French ones.

1.2.0 is out. It has more (but lower quality) channels. Only ones which jump out at me are a few French ones.

Oh cool! Could you look at adding Irish stations like RTE?

filmon.1.2.0.zip

New Update here folks.

Many thanks to Ryan

• Advertisement

Oh cool! Could you look at adding Irish stations like RTE?
    Whilst I've been given m3u8 urls for them, without a DNS proxy in place they return a 403, and for everyone outside of Ireland it's a pretty rubbish experience.
    The current advance with FilmOn is that the streams appear to be available globally.

Advertisement