Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

artesea wrote: »
    Whilst I've been given m3u8 urls for them, without a DNS proxy in place they return a 403, and for everyone outside of Ireland it's a pretty rubbish experience.
    The current advance with FilmOn is that the streams appear to be available globally.

Would it be possible to make an Irish flavour of the app which would include the Irish links and still include filmon.

Everyone on this board would be able to access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

rogercross wrote: »
    Would it be possible to make an Irish flavour of the app which would include the Irish links and still include filmon.

Everyone on this board would be able to access them.

This app is international now. I've seen reports from Australia and USA. Would it be a better option to have the existing app and an international version where users would require Smart dns for full usage. This version having channels from many countries.

Edit: I should mention this type of channel already exists for Roku users. Private Channel code:XTVIPTV

Unfortunately there is no zip version for nowtv. If anyone can make a zip version please feel free to do so. For anyone that owns a roku the above channel is highly recommended. Smart dns is required for full benefit.

givecredit wrote: »
    This app is international now. I've seen reports from Australia and USA. Would it be a better option to have the existing app and an international version where users would require Smart dns for full usage. This version having channels from many countries.

Edit: I should mention this type of channel already exists for Roku users. Private Channel code:XTVIPTV

Unfortunately there is no zip version for nowtv. If anyone can make a zip version please feel free to do so. For anyone that owns a roku the above channel is highly recommended. Smart dns is required for full benefit.

That app doesn't include RTE or any Irish channels though does it?

That app doesn't include RTE or any Irish channels though does it?
    It used to include 3e. It lost audio. He is having major difficulty sourcing reliable Irish tv streams. If you know of any good ones let him know, He will include them within 24 hours of asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Glen Malure

Folks,

I've been using NOWTV since the early days. I'm on a special deal for Movies and using codes for Entertainment. My (Irish) credit card expired this month. I've got a new expiry date and security code. When I try to update my account it is looking for a UK billing address that must match the address for the credit card. Any ideas?

Glen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Let your card expire, and top up with voucher codes from eBay/Amazon/Argos UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Glen Malure

Thanx JD

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Reminder for some posters: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99306563&postcount=2819

It's simple, if it's all above board it can be posted on the thread no need for PM's.

If it's not legit then the site should not be used to discuss it PM or not.

Back on topic please and no more requesting PM's

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Boxes with 4 month movie or 6 month entertainment pass £18.99 on Amazon.co.uk

Boxes with 4 month movie or 6 month entertainment pass £18.99 on Amazon.co.uk

Another friend of mine expressed an interest in getting one of these boxes, however I think ill hold off on anymore, they should hopefully be releasing the new 2016 boxes in the next few months, they're currently being tested by a small group of the public in a private beta test. Once they're released ill likely get one of them and swap out one of my black boxes to a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Another friend of mine expressed an interest in getting one of these boxes, however I think ill hold off on anymore, they should hopefully be releasing the new 2016 boxes in the next few months, they're currently being tested by a small group of the public in a private beta test. Once they're released ill likely get one of them and swap out one of my black boxes to a friend.
    I don't really need the box but I haven't been able to find cheap passes so this Amazon deal seemed to be the best option.

I don't really need the box but I haven't been able to find cheap passes so this Amazon deal seemed to be the best option.

18.99 is a very good deal for a 6 month pass i have to say yea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Great price for the 6 month pass. The box is a bonus !

any more info ?
    my black one is having trouble playing blurays
    and its all connected to my network via cables

any more info ?
    my black one is having trouble playing blurays
    and its all connected to my network via cables

On the new box? Not a lot, the picture sky used for it back in January makes it look like its a custom version of the Roku 4 (Sky has majority shares in the company), and they had mentioned that there would be loads of free to air channels included on the box for free, aside from that theres no other info really and the people testing presently are on a private beta forum and are giving nothing away on the public boards, except that they have received the box recently.

On the new box? , they had mentioned that there would be loads of free to air channels included on the box for free,

The New Now TV box will have a DTT tuner. So in the UK it will be capable of receiving the 60ish freeview tv channels. In Ireland it should receive the Saorview channels. ie RTE, TV3, TG4, UTV Ireland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

givecredit wrote: »
    The New Now TV box will have a DTT tuner. So in the UK it will be capable of receiving the 60ish freeview tv channels. In Ireland it should receive the Saorview channels. ie RTE, TV3, TG4, UTV Ireland etc.

Well, it has the potential to receive the Irish channels. It may only display Freeview channels and ignore everything else - we really don't know how it will work yet.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Well, it has the potential to receive the Irish channels. It may only display Freeview channels and ignore everything else - we really don't know how it will work yet.

Correct.
    For me the Current box is a great option. We know it can receive over 60 FTA channels via internet and today its only 24 euro for BOX and 6 months entertainment subscription.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

On the new box? Not a lot, the picture sky used for it back in January makes it look like its a custom version of the Roku 4 (Sky has majority shares in the company), and they had mentioned that there would be loads of free to air channels included on the box for free, aside from that theres no other info really and the people testing presently are on a private beta forum and are giving nothing away on the public boards, except that they have received the box recently.

Interesting.

The Roku 4 box is receiving pretty poor reviews in the US. It is a 4K box, but seems to have big problems with overheating and noise. Seems 4k is just a bit too much of a stretch for it.

The new Roku Streaming Stick on the other hand is receiving rave reviews, though it doesn't support 4k.

So hopefully Sky/Roku will have resolved these issues if using the Roku 4 box and supporting 4k.

If the new box supports Freeview then it is potentially of limited use to people in Ireland as Freeview is not available in most of Ireland and no guarantee that Sky will have it work with Saorview.

The rumour also has it that the existing Now TV boxes will also receive updates with the new UI, though obviously Freeview/Saorview/DTT still won't work on it.

I could see Sky eventually officially launching Now TV in Ireland. Key to this is RTE is expected to launch their new Soarview Connect service pretty much anyday now. This is their own modern player service that should rollout across all platforms.

I could see an Irish Now TV box which includes Now TV, RTE Player/Saorview Connect, TV3 Player, C4 Player, maybe a subset of ITV Player (but likely no BBC).

bk wrote: »
    Interesting.

The Roku 4 box is receiving pretty poor reviews in the US. It is a 4K box, but seems to have big problems with overheating and noise. Seems 4k is just a bit too much of a stretch for it.

The new Roku Streaming Stick on the other hand is receiving rave reviews, though it doesn't support 4k.

So hopefully Sky/Roku will have resolved these issues if using the Roku 4 box and supporting 4k.

If the new box supports Freeview then it is potentially of limited use to people in Ireland as Freeview is not available in most of Ireland and no guarantee that Sky will have it work with Saorview.

The rumour also has it that the existing Now TV boxes will also receive updates with the new UI, though obviously Freeview/Saorview/DTT still won't work on it.

I could see Sky eventually officially launching Now TV in Ireland. Key to this is RTE is expected to launch their new Soarview Connect service pretty much anyday now. This is their own modern player service that should rollout across all platforms.

I could see an Irish Now TV box which includes Now TV, RTE Player/Saorview Connect, TV3 Player, C4 Player, maybe a subset of ITV Player (but likely no BBC).

It would be great if Now TV was officially supported in Ireland. Those of us conducting 'black ops' to have the service now would feel much more secure.

• Advertisement

It would be great if Now TV was officially supported in Ireland. Those of us conducting 'black ops' to have the service now would feel much more secure.

I think its safe to say that if it was here the price wouldn't be as low as €20 for a 6 month entertainment pass though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

JDxtra wrote: »

That box will be able to view/show Irish channels once it's capable of viewing the UK HD Freeview channels.

They use the same system as us for their HD channels.

That box will be able to view/show Irish channels once it's capable of viewing the UK HD Freeview channels.

Does that require an antenna or something though?

Does that require an antenna or something though?

I pick up the Dublin Mux here in Lucan with a 20 euro aerial thats plugged in.

The beauty of Freeview in the UK/Ireland is that it must be scanned for before first use to see what channels are available to you.

That's where we benefit from getting a HD Freeview box here :D

I have 2 Freeview HD Boxes here in the house and they work just fine with Full EPG.

Just hope we can sideload apps onto this new box. If we can OMG!!!

I pick up the Dublin Mux here in Lucan with a 20 euro aerial thats plugged in.

The beauty of Freeview in the UK/Ireland is that it must be scanned for before first use to see what channels are available to you.

That's where we benefit from getting a HD Freeview box here :D

I have 2 Freeview HD Boxes here in the house and they work just fine with Full EPG.

Just hope we can sideload apps onto this new box. If we can OMG!!!

The €20 aerial, is that external on the roof is it or just hooked into the back of your tv internally?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely that will depend on the software on the box - Freeview is likely to be an "app" with the channels preprogrammed. There may be no way to add the Irish channels, even if the box is capable of picking them up.

I think its safe to say that if it was here the price wouldn't be as low as €20 for a 6 month entertainment pass though.

Perhaps I am being naive but I am hopeful that vouchers wouldn't be restricted to either UK or Ireland only.

Given a choice I would continue to purchase devices and vouchers from Amazon deals.

loyatemu wrote: »
    surely that will depend on the software on the box - Freeview is likely to be an "app" with the channels preprogrammed. There may be no way to add the Irish channels, even if the box is capable of picking them up.

An app wouldn't need an aerial which means it needs to be scanned.

We'll deffo get Saorview with this.

The €20 aerial, is that external on the roof is it or just hooked into the back of your tv internally?

I just bought an internal - get 100% signal level.

Maybe I'm lucky

• Advertisement

Perhaps I am being naive but I am hopeful that vouchers wouldn't be restricted to either UK or Ireland only.

Given a choice I would continue to purchase devices and vouchers from Amazon deals.

I may just be cynical but all you have to do is look at the price of tv offerings here including the likes of Eir's web tv to see how much more expensive all these services are here, plus sky is a rip off here but a lot of people pay for it, i don't see them introducing Now Tv here anytime soon, I could be wrong of course :-)

Advertisement