Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I just bought an internal - get 100% signal level.

Maybe I'm lucky

Maybe, could you send me a link to it, does it fit in with the room ok or is it very obvious its there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

rogercross wrote: »
    Maybe, could you send me a link to it, does it fit in with the room ok or is it very obvious its there.

h*tp://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-72-A426BK

Great little thing - hidden easily

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

An app wouldn't need an aerial which means it needs to be scanned.

We'll deffo get Saorview with this.

I think you're misunderstanding my point - obviously to pick up Freeview it will use the aerial, but it will be accessed within the NowTV system as another app, like Netflix or iPlayer (I have an FM radio built into my phone, to access it I have to open an "app").

That "app" may not be designed to allow you to tune in other channels that are not part of the Freeview EPG.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think you're misunderstanding my point - obviously to pick up Freeview it will use the aerial, but it will be accessed within the NowTV system as another app, like Netflix or iPlayer (I have an FM radio built into my phone, to access it I have to open an "app").

That "app" may not be designed to allow you to tune in other channels that are not part of the Freeview EPG.

We'll see I suppose - lets hope I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

h*tp://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-72-A426BK

Great little thing - hidden easily

How long is the coaxial cable on that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

rogercross wrote: »
    I may just be cynical but all you have to do is look at the price of tv offerings here including the likes of Eir's web tv to see how much more expensive all these services are here, plus sky is a rip off here but a lot of people pay for it, i don't see them introducing Now Tv here anytime soon, I could be wrong of course :-)

I think the fact we're SKY's only territory without an OTT product speaks volumes about how they view this market; a cash cow to be milked for all its worth, a great value product like NOWTV doesn't exactly fit the criteria and they likely fear it cannibalising their direct SKY sales and indirect sales via other providers. Having said that they can't just ignore that part of the market here forever. Hopefully Amazon launch here soon, that might tip the balance.

Dave..M wrote: »
    I think the fact we're SKY's only territory without an OTT product speaks volumes about how they view this market; a cash cow to be milked for all its worth, a great value product like NOWTV doesn't exactly fit the criteria and they likely fear it cannibalising their direct SKY sales and indirect sales via other providers. Having said that they can't just ignore that part of the market here forever. Hopefully Amazon launch here soon, that might tip the balance.

What I would say is when the first hint of an Irish one is on the horizon anyone who is presently using this without a Smart DNS, get yourselves one. No way will the price be the same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

An app wouldn't need an aerial which means it needs to be scanned.

We'll deffo get Saorview with this.

I'm afraid you are wrong about that.

While Freeview and Saorview use similar technology *, the box will require software to decode the channels and there is no guarantee that Sky won't write the software in such a way that it only works with UK Freeview.

* Actually while they overlap on the majority of technology that they use, they aren't exactly the same. Saorview uses different formats and standards for the EPG and other metadata.

I could see Sky only making the effort to support Saorview if they plan on officially launching the Now TV service in Ireland, I don't think they would bother for just the UK box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

bk wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are wrong about that.

While Freeview and Saorview use similar technology *, the box will require software to decode the channels and there is no guarantee that Sky won't write the software in such a way that it only works with UK Freeview.

* Actually while they overlap on the majority of technology that they use, they aren't exactly the same. Saorview uses different formats and standards for the EPG and other metadata.

I could see Sky only making the effort to support Saorview if they plan on officially launching the Now TV service in Ireland, I don't think they would bother for just the UK box.

Do you mind if I ask how you know all this? Or are you just making an educated guess?

I need a Saorview box but was holding off until the new Now box comes out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bk wrote: »
    While Freeview and Saorview use similar technology *, the box will require software to decode the channels and there is no guarantee that Sky won't write the software in such a way that it only works with UK Freeview
    Look at the history.

Remember the very cynically name "Freesat from SKY" which pretty much exists just to confuse the issue of people switching to BBC/ITV Freesat.

SKY has an EPG. Freesat has an EPG. They are different. If you don't have these then if your box isn't using a third party solution like CrossEPG then all you get is Now/Next at best.

Saorview has an EPG. The Irish version of SKY has an EPG. The new Saorview connect will be using the same engine as UK Freeview. Are RTE on the Freeview EPG in the North ? Saorsat AFAIK uses the standard satellite EPG ?

Confusing ? Yes. Historically most boxes have only used one EPG and ignored the others without serious tweaking. This issue of jealously guarded EPG's has hindered Free To Air uptake in this country. On Foreign satellite many EPG's are Free To Air.

TBH given "Freesat from SKY" exists and that Saorview Connect will be using the same type of back end as Freeview I'd be surprised if they allowed easy access to Saorview without completely blocking the UK channels. Remember SKY are the people who made sure you could use one remote so you'd never be tempted to watch terrestrial using the other one. They are also the guys who made sure you could only watch previous recordings if covered by your current sub. They sit down and think about these things.

On a completely different topic.
    Does this box support CEC ?
    And is it possible to use something like cec-client to control the TV from it ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Has this to be purchased in addition to the regular entertainment pass or can you just buy the kids pass?

Full Email I received,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This June, some of the most-loved children’s channels will have a new home with the new NOW TV Kids Pass. That means more Dora the Explorer and plenty of Paw Patrol without a contract, all for just £2.99 a month.

With SpongeBob SquarePants, Ben Ten, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and loads more, there’s plenty for you and your child to enjoy. From 21 June, the NOW TV Kids Pass will have live TV from Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, Boomerang, Cartoon Network and Cartoonito. There are also thousands of episodes and box sets available on demand for your child to get stuck into, so there’ll always be time for their favourite show…as long as it’s before bed time!

And after getting input from parents and kids, our new user interface (UI) is designed to be fun for younger viewers, but also has a level of parental controls for adults to use. This way, you can let them enjoy their favourite shows…without them enjoying yours!

The Kids Pass will feature loads of new tools to make life as easy as possible, including:

A new user interface with newly designed characters in a fun space-themed environment, guiding the user through their viewing.
    Picture led navigation to keep things as simple as possible. So shows and episodes are identified by characters, so the user can get to the TV they want, when they want it.
    New episode auto-play so they can straight into the next episode when the last episode finishes – so no looking for the remote!
    A favourites rail so we can find out your little ones' favourite shows, getting them straight to the shows they love.
    Parental controls, complete with Parental PINs to set age-rated restrictions, a screen lock to stop little fingers accidentally changing shows on a mobile or tablet, and an 'escape prompt' to stop kids leaving the user interface by mistake.. In other words, no accidental drifting into unsuitable content!

The launch of the NOW TV Kids Pass sees Nickelodeon, Nick Jr and The Disney Channel move out of the NOW TV Entertainment Pass on 21 June, 2016.

In addition, from today Nat Geo Wild will be added as a new channel to the Entertainment Pass, which will continue to offer exclusive access to shows such as Game of Thrones and must see new show Billions on Sky Atlantic, 11.22.63 on FOX, and Harlan Coben’s The Five on Sky1. Not to mention over 250 Box Sets ranging from Sex and The City, Revenge, Penny Dreadful and True Detective.

Yep, there’s something for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So, they're removing a load of channels from the Entertainment Pack, so that you can pay extra from them?

AS far as I can seem they are taking the kids channels, 4 of them, and giving us the shyte Nat Geo Wild in it's place.

Fúcking Sky

How long is the coaxial cable on that one?

2m

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    So, they're removing a load of channels from the Entertainment Pack, so that you can pay extra from them?

AS far as I can seem they are taking the kids channels, 4 of them, and giving us the shyte Nat Geo Wild in it's place.

Fúcking Sky

Yeah mate they're unreal them boys.

Cartoonito, Boomerang and Nick Toons will be on that pack too but yeah it's another rip-off swindle.

One big difference at least - the kids are always giving out about the pitiful number of episodes of each program that's available in nowtV.

Looks like this will have LIVE TV

From 21 June, the NOW TV Kids Pass will have live TV from Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, Boomerang, Cartoon Network and Cartoonit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This is a bit unfair for those who have purchased 6 month entertainment passes.

JDxtra wrote: »
    This is a bit unfair for those who have purchased 6 month entertainment passes.

At full price? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

long_b wrote: »
    One big difference at least - the kids are always giving out about the pitiful number of episodes of each program that's available in nowtV.

Looks like this will have LIVE TV

From 21 June, the NOW TV Kids Pass will have live TV from Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, Boomerang, Cartoon Network and Cartoonit

The current pass already has LIVE Disney, Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. Plenty of boxsets too.

This is a serious load of bollocks from Sky.

The current pass already has LIVE Disney, Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. Plenty of boxsets too.

It is unfair for anyone on a current pass, but what I would say is can you imagine what the price would be if it came out here.

£2.99 a month, you couldn't get anything for that, i'm not condoning it, just genuinely surprised at the low price.

Where the heck is that?

long_b wrote: »
    At full price? :)

No, discounted - but the main reason for purchasing was Nick Jr. for the younger children I have. Now this will be removed from June and I will need a separate pass. Those with existing passes should continue to be allowed to receive the channels that were available at the time of activation.

Then, the list price for the entertainment pass should be dropped to compensate those who now need to also purchase the Kids pass.

But Sky aren't going to do that, now are they. They see $$$ signs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, discounted - but the main reason for purchasing was Nick Jr. for the younger children I have. Now this will be removed from June and I will need a separate pass. Those with existing passes should continue to be allowed to receive the channels that were available at the time of activation.

I have to say it does sound rather dubious and I'd imagine someone in the UK could possibly challenge under the UK equivalent of the consumer information act. It stinks of bait and switch tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Typical SKY codology, saying it's down to customer demand, yes SKY, I demand you let me pay you more! I see the NowTV forum is choker block with satisfied customers whos demands to pay more have been met; a price rise by other means.....

OK, just got the email. They are partially forgiven...

"As an existing Entertainment Month Pass customer we’ll send you a four-month trial when the Kids Month Pass is available."

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

OK, just got the email. They are partially forgiven...

"As an existing Entertainment Month Pass customer we’ll send you a four-month trial when the Kids Month Pass is available."

Haven't gotten that email ! there seems to be various email lists i got one saying

The important bits

From today Nat Geo Wild joins your Entertainment Month Pass. And the price of your pass isn’t changing; it still renews at £6.99 a month and you can cancel at any time
    The Nickelodeon and Nick Jr channels will be leaving your Entertainment Month Pass on 21 June and moving to the new Kids Month Pass when it launches
    The Disney Channel will be leaving the Entertainment Month Pass on 21 June due to changes in our rights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I hope nobody from ROI is thinking about complaining for this. We should already be grateful that they don't geoblock the service, it is still amazing value relative to a sat subscription even if you ll have to buy two passes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Anyone recommend a place to buy entertainment passes online?

Advertisement