Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manicure question

• 26-07-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi there - I hope someone knowledgeable has a few minutes to help me.
    A lifelong nail-biter, I stopped biting my nails a couple of years ago, but I sometimes fall off the wagon, so I was thinking perhaps I should get a manicure, maybe if my hands looked very nice I'd be less likely to bite.
    Thing is - my nails are really really short as I have to clip them so I don't bite, but this is fine, I don't want long nails, just nice nails.
    I also don't want coloured nail varnish on my nails.
    So - is there any point in getting a manicure, if you've short nails you don't want painted? If so, what kind should I get?
    I have never gotten a manicure before, in fact I didn't even like people looking at my hands until quite recently, let along touching them, so this is all new territory for me!
    Can anyone advise? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

What about getting a manicure with a very very light pink/nude shade?

I would defo try it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

So I got a manicure at lunchtime today - I was pretty embarrassed because my nails aren't in good nick, but the manicurist did a great job and my nails look brilliant now.
    When she asked me if I wanted them painted, I boldly said "sure why not" and chose a very bright aqua colour for no good reason.
    I've never worn nail varnish before, and now my hands looks like someone else's hands! But someone else with nice nails, so I'm really happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I was a die hard nail biter until about 3 years ago. My hands used to be absolutely awful. I was so embarrassed by them, bitten raw and so so painful. Well done on stopping, serious will power required! I found the best way for me to stop nibbling was to paint them. And now I've become addicted to that. Invest in some really nice nail polish and pamper yourself at home. I try and keep mine so pretty I would hate to bite them. I never thought of be the kind if girl that would get annoyed over broken nails but I do now! Good luck and well done you.

PennyWren wrote: »
    I was a die hard nail biter until about 3 years ago. My hands used to be absolutely awful. I was so embarrassed by them, bitten raw and so so painful. Well done on stopping, serious will power required! I found the best way for me to stop nibbling was to paint them. And now I've become addicted to that. Invest in some really nice nail polish and pamper yourself at home. I try and keep mine so pretty I would hate to bite them. I never thought of be the kind if girl that would get annoyed over broken nails but I do now! Good luck and well done you.

Thanks PennyWren! I'm glad to hear of someone going from bitten to pretty, so there's hope for me yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

quaalude wrote: »
    Thanks PennyWren! I'm glad to hear of someone going from bitten to pretty, so there's hope for me yet!

Yep there is definitely hope for you yet. Buy a couple of really nice polishes and get practicing, I was awful at painting mine to start with. But now I'm OK, and I get complimented on them and I'm so proud! Get a nail hardener too, mine were super weak when I first stopped biting, soft and peeling. Sally Hansen diamond hard is great, in boots for about €7. Check out the nail polish thread here too for inspiration. I also always have a nail file to hand, in my bag, at work bedside table etc. cause if I get a break and I don't have a file I'll pick at it and it will be gone before I know t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 navandiver

I had bitten my nails since i was a kid and every so often now come very close to biting them again. I found like PennyWren that having my nails painted really helps in stopping me from going near them. The one thing i would say is dont get shellac done on your nails especially if they have been weak as it will just leave them in worse shape afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A lot of neatnik biters start out by pulling at tags of hard skin around the nails, then go to nip off the tag...
    The trouble with nailbiting is that it's both a response to stress and a cause of stress; the act of nibbling at nails brings up all the stressy occasions before.
    One great way of stopping is to use a really good cuticle cream, like the gorgeous lemon-scented Burt's Bees one. This is expensive in shops and a lot cheaper on amazon.co.uk - the action of smoothing it on can act as an alternative grooming action that replaces tearing and nibbling at your nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

there is no reason why someone with short bitten nails cant get a manicure. usually with nail-biting infections and overgrown cuticles can occur easily and a manicure or maybe a few manicures if needed will help. the point of a manicure is not only making your nails look more attractive (whatever the length and shape) but also to maintain the nail health, and if your nails are healthy and look nice you will be less willing to bite them! You dont have to have a polish applied but I would recommend a light neutral colour if your nails are short or you could have them buffed to a nice shine. A nailpolish trick is to leave a larger than usual gap beside the nail walls to make them appear longer. hope this helps :D

A lot of neatnik biters start out by pulling at tags of hard skin around the nails, then go to nip off the tag...
    The trouble with nailbiting is that it's both a response to stress and a cause of stress; the act of nibbling at nails brings up all the stressy occasions before.
    One great way of stopping is to use a really good cuticle cream, like the gorgeous lemon-scented Burt's Bees one. This is expensive in shops and a lot cheaper on amazon.co.uk - the action of smoothing it on can act as an alternative grooming action that replaces tearing and nibbling at your nails.

OK, I'm sold - I just ordered some of the lemon-scented Burt's Bees one on Amazon!

OK, I'm sold - I just ordered some of the lemon-scented Burt's Bees one on Amazon!

Quoting myself here - but I am so into the Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle cream. The smell is lovely, my nails look great. I've one for home and one for work and I can't stop using it, I'm addicted.
    For anyone who's interested - the manicure worked great. I've barely bitten since. I might go back for another one this week - but I'll get them to hold the lurid turquoise nail colour this time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Quoting myself here - but I am so into the Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle cream. The smell is lovely, my nails look great. I've one for home and one for work and I can't stop using it, I'm addicted.
    For anyone who's interested - the manicure worked great. I've barely bitten since. I might go back for another one this week - but I'll get them to hold the lurid turquoise nail colour this time!

Well wear! Where did you get your manicure, and was it dear?

Well wear! Where did you get your manicure, and was it dear?

I got the manicure in the closest place to my work, MK Nails - a few doors up from Donnybrook Fair on Baggot St. The nail bit is in a little room in the back of a hairdressers, it's not fancy.
    It was about 20 quid, and took about 35 minutes - I don't know if that's dear or not!

Advertisement